[Bug] Guards too passive

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

Webarchitect
level1
level1

[Bug] Guards too passive

Postby Webarchitect » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:15 pm

I assume this is a bug (something not working as it should).

Guards stand watching prisoners stealing knives in the kitchen and do nothing about it. Have they been bribed to look the other way? :D

I see that a "Guard deployment mode + Patrol routes" feature is planned.
However what good is that if all they do is stand there or walk past some predetermined places?
I would like to be able to have a guard by my kitchen door but not only to watch prisoners come in and out but to do something about it.
Or at least if he is going to do nothing at least his presence should be enough to prevent prisoners from trying to get in. Not what happens now.

Too active guards might take away some of the players initiative but too passive ones are bad too.

--
Arclight_Dynamo
level1
level1

Postby Arclight_Dynamo » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:23 pm

I noticed this yesterday. The guards usually behave fine, but this time around, they just... stood there. Even when prisoners were rioting, smashing things, and escaping. I could send the guards into the same room as the prisoners, but they refused to act to stop them. They just... stood there. Seems like a real problem to me.
RMJ1984
level2
level2

Postby RMJ1984 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:24 pm

Think this is a problem for most people.

Ive tried sending 10 guards into the canteen because of prisons fighting and nothing happened lol :P quite funny, but also annoying lol.

kinda wish i had the had cursor from dungeon keeper, smack them guards about! those lazy slackers.
Cpt.Junior
level0

Postby Cpt.Junior » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:55 pm

Guards are really passive, right now. Worst for me is when a prisoner "acting suspicious" makes his way through 2-3 staff-only doors while guards are RIGHT THERE, and not a single guard tries to stop him or even reacts. The number of prisoner escapes I've had that way. Which, to be fair, isn't helped by the fact that even if guards do chase an escapee, they seem to amble along casually while the escapee legs it.

I'm guessing guard reactions/behaviour will be coming in at some point. It'd be interesting if guard personality (say, an unusually lazy guard, a lenient one, a harsh one) impacts on how they react to prisoner behaviour.
pudd1nG
level0

Postby pudd1nG » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:25 pm

I've had 27 prisoners go through 4 staff only doors in front of 5-6 guards and nothing happen. They all escaped of course :p
Webarchitect
level1
level1

Postby Webarchitect » Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:51 am

Interesting though that when there is a trigger they do act.

I installed metal detectors in the canteen doors. First time the inmates used it I had 11 put in lock down. The guards followed them, searched them and put them in lock down. I didn´t need to do a thing, just watch. So, if there is something that tells them to act they will.

I figure there is no code in place yet for them to know that prisoners are stealing or going to forbidden places.

---
frasercarter
level1
level1

Postby frasercarter » Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:10 am

pudd1nG wrote:I've had 27 prisoners go through 4 staff only doors in front of 5-6 guards and nothing happen. They all escaped of course :p

Same this should result in a punishment of solitary, or lockdown, i had 3 guys raid the kitchens whilst a guard was in the kitchen and 2 others by the staff doors.

Guards were happy to ignore it.
Arclight_Dynamo
level1
level1

Postby Arclight_Dynamo » Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:27 am

Webarchitect wrote:Interesting though that when there is a trigger they do act.

I installed metal detectors in the canteen doors. First time the inmates used it I had 11 put in lock down. The guards followed them, searched them and put them in lock down. I didn´t need to do a thing, just watch. So, if there is something that tells them to act they will.

I figure there is no code in place yet for them to know that prisoners are stealing or going to forbidden places.

---

No, that's what I'm saying. Usually this is true. But that one riot? The triggers stopped working and the guards became totally passive.

Return to “Community Members”