[Feature Request] Male + Female prisoners

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

christopher1006
level5
level5

Postby christopher1006 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:26 am

It'd provide interesting challenges, keeping them separate from male wings probably won't be difficult but they could have different priorities on their needs. Maybe a higher number of females could place priority on higher points of the pyramid of needs such as family and socializing. I don't see any reason ,outside of taking the time to implement it depending on how far IV would go with it, that this shouldn't be implemented at some point either by or after retail.
Yes, that is a penguin with rabies. Deal with it.
Penroyaltea
level1
level1

Postby Penroyaltea » Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:38 pm

Ric666 wrote:I don't see why we need women prisoners. This isn't Equality Architect..... :P

I mean I guess it would be an addition to force you build different wings but at the end of the day, I don't think it would add anymore than a novelty factor.

Just my opinion though.

WELLITY WELLITY WELLITY ... let's see who is an actual architect and female round here *raises hand and looks around smugly :D*. I kid, but I don't think it's a bad idea at all and isn't a novelty.

PrincessJane wrote:In seriousness it's not a about "novelty" or "equality" it's about immersion and relatability... Try playing any game with all women in it, it instantly goes down a notch in the quality scale because you have a harder time relating to the character that you are controlling. The same goes for women, I like games that give me the option of being the person I am instead of the person the majority of gamers are thought to be.

Exactly. But I think guys can get by with Lara Croft lol. It's just little things though, like when minecraft removed the "oof" male grunt when you fell down a hill it got better for me to believe in.

I don't really mind too much playing a male character, after all I am not going after realism when I play games it's escapism. I just don't like women to be discounted as "not important" or a novelty factor.

I'm playing Farcry 3 at the moment and I don't mind being a bloke.
zramn
level0

Postby zramn » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:52 am

I could see having females as guards or visitors to the prison, but having both male and females as prisoners leads to too much trouble.
DHKold
level1
level1

Postby DHKold » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:22 am

And then, women could give birth to babies. And babies could be put in oven or in garbage! Or more likely just in the freezer.

Ok, I know, I'm out...
Ric666
level3
level3

Postby Ric666 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:11 am

DHKold wrote:And then, women could give birth to babies. And babies could be put in oven or in garbage! Or more likely just in the freezer.

Ok, I know, I'm out...

Yummy???
111none
level4
level4

Postby 111none » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:53 pm

I definitley are for some guards and visitors being female... but seperate wings?
Our jobs just got alot harder then.
With the sincerest regards,
111none
phoenixca
level1
level1

Postby phoenixca » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:23 am

Penroyaltea wrote:I'm playing Farcry 3 at the moment and I don't mind being a bloke.

Ooof. I feel for you. That game is...lacking on narrative...to say the least. O.o

The grant system has great promise for making this idea viable in-game without being a burden on players. Start with say, a grant to open a woman's wing that tosses some money your way to make it happen. If you want to take-on the extra challenge and complexity then more power to you, but nothing would be forcing your hand.

Heck, as a guy, seeing only male prisoners makes me do this: :roll: Alpha is alpha so I'm not getting flustered, and statistically men make-up a fairly large majority of prison populations, but there are a few reasons for this that don't make any real sense. Women are, on account of their gender, far less likely to be judged as harshly as their male counterparts for similar crimes. There's a lot of bias against men in Western justice systems (and Asian...the Middle East is more on the reward the man for rape and punish the woman for letting him do it side of things...). Men are still by and large the more common perpetrators of violent crimes, but the sentencing is...disproportionate to say the least. It would be trivially easy to point-out this real-world inequity using a recently implemented feature: the rap sheet. If players notice that women in their virtual prison tend to have much shorter sentences for the same crimes as their male friends (and are almost never sent for execution, which is a truly stark disparity between genders currently in nation-states that are still...um...pardon my French but backward enough to use capital punishment), they might start thinking about it. IV has a truly unique opportunity to shed some light on real, important issues that affect us today, but largely go unnoticed.

I for one really, really, really look forward to features that will help me actually get to the rehabilitation part of the game, trying to encourage and cajole these little AI peoples into being productive members of society again, and downgrading them to MinSec on the way. SuperMaxes in the USA tend not to do this; speaking for Canada, I know that our one supermax facility does have extremely strict regimens, but long-term solitary confinement is pretty much out-of-the-question for obvious reasons of it further damaging a person's psyche, as well as small group therapy under tight supervision and psychiatrists who attempt to help inmates learn to adjust their behaviour to be more...positive. Eek, sounds Orwellian, no?

The point I think I'm getting at here in my rambling is that IV has a pretty interesting opportunity to examine prisons critically. Of course it's a game, and it should be silly and have lots of fun gameplay, but commenting on inequity between genders, religious and racial issues and tensions, ethics and the treatment of those incarcerated, could really make PA stand-out even more. And on the way, they can pass on some salient facts we've learned over the past few decades about how retribution really doesn't help any of us, and a serious focus on rehabilitation and dare I say forgiveness is far more effective at preventing repeat offences. (Perhaps that could even be a metric by which performance is gauged at some point.)

Separate wings for women, and fights and tension if I stick both genders together like a moron? Challenge accepted.
111none
level4
level4

Postby 111none » Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:43 am

Again, i can see this being implimented, but i think we should choose to allow women, or men to be in your prison.
111none
phoenixca
level1
level1

Postby phoenixca » Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:42 pm

111none wrote:Again, i can see this being implimented, but i think we should choose to allow women, or men to be in your prison.

My sentiments exactly. :)
AlextheStampede
level0

Postby AlextheStampede » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:27 pm

New guy here, my first prisons ended as an endless riot/corpses everywhere and several prison breaks so I might not be the best person to make suggestions buuuuut... why not "simply" allow to chose if the new prison you are going to build is going to be for scoundrels of a specific gender?
111none
level4
level4

Postby 111none » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:04 pm

AlextheStampede wrote:New guy here, my first prisons ended as an endless riot/corpses everywhere and several prison breaks so I might not be the best person to make suggestions buuuuut... why not "simply" allow to chose if the new prison you are going to build is going to be for scoundrels of a specific gender?

Read the post above yours.
111none
Bureaucromancer
level1
level1

Postby Bureaucromancer » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:14 am

zramn wrote:I could see having females as guards or visitors to the prison, but having both male and females as prisoners leads to too much trouble.

Probably true in general, but there are ongoing experiments in coed incarceration (mostly minimum security except where overcrowding has forced it, but it does happen at all levels from my understanding). I tend to think that it's an easy feature to implement, that it should be done on the prisoner screen like other classifications(as in each risk level allows admission of male and/or female inmates) and balance the whole thing such that you can get more prisoners by taking both genders (and more risk levels) at the cost of dealing with all the complications of integrating the population or segregating a single facility. IMO at this point anything that adds meaningful gameplay in a reasonably implementable way is worth looking at, and this is definitely something that does that.

Return to “Community Members”