Suggestion: Scared Straight tours

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

BikeMan
level1
level1

Suggestion: Scared Straight tours

Postby BikeMan » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:20 pm

Tours for juvenile delinquents. Tour routes planning and security for that plus prisoner participation program.
Hessen
level3
level3

Postby Hessen » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:25 pm

xsuite
level1
level1

Re: Suggestion: Scared Straight tours

Postby xsuite » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:33 pm

BikeMan wrote:Tours for juvenile delinquents. Tour routes planning and security for that plus prisoner participation program.

That could be an interesting game mechanic. It would require thoughtful route planning, and overall prison security to ensure the safety of the guys on the tour. It could be a fun and challenging way of bringing in some bonus grant money.
Illanair
level3
level3

Postby Illanair » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:40 pm

Or just regular school kids - school trip.

Of course kids and violence is a very touchy subject these days - any kind of child aim violence has become a big no no. So yeah - inmates would have to be on their best behavior (and why wouldn't they? They've got families) :o
XmAkiNA
level2
level2

Postby XmAkiNA » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:12 am

Illanair wrote:Or just regular school kids - school trip.

Of course kids and violence is a very touchy subject these days - any kind of child aim violence has become a big no no. So yeah - inmates would have to be on their best behavior (and why wouldn't they? They've got families) :o

Except the ones who are in your prison for brutally murdering them... :shock:
frasercarter
level1
level1

Postby frasercarter » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:38 pm

id rather play SimFarm than deal with children
lighthaze
level0

Postby lighthaze » Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:02 pm

I think such a thing basically isn't such a bad idea.

What I imagine is the following:

The games gives you the opportunity to monetize your prison in other ways, completely voluntarily, of course.

Some ideas:

Employment of labor:

Some prisoners are fetched in the morning and brought back in the evening. Advantages: You get some money, the prison is less full in daytime. Disadvantages: Twice a day a lot of prisoners are entering and leaving your prison. It could probably even be possible to send some guards with them. The more you send, the less probable is an attempted escape - but you have less guards in your prison.

Tours for juvenile delinquents.

Advantages: You get money. Disadvantages: Visitors could end up as hostages, etc.
XmAkiNA
level2
level2

Postby XmAkiNA » Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:08 pm

Employment of labour sounds good, it's a common occurrence and can help with reformation work.

The delinquents tour sounds a bit problematic, folks may not be entirely okay with seeing a teenager knifed to death. Perhaps VIP tours such as inspectors (an idea floated elsewhere) would be okay though.
xsuite
level1
level1

Postby xsuite » Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:24 pm

XmAkiNA wrote:Employment of labour sounds good, it's a common occurrence and can help with reformation work.

The delinquents tour sounds a bit problematic, folks may not be entirely okay with seeing a teenager knifed to death. Perhaps VIP tours such as inspectors (an idea floated elsewhere) would be okay though.

My only counterpoint to that is that some of the prisoners are indeed teenagers; I've had a prisoner as young as 16 in my prisons. And there's nothing in the code that forbids prisoners under a certain age from getting knifed or beaten.

The developers have said they want to tackle thorny subjects and issues in this game. They don't want to water everything down because some folks may get offended.
XmAkiNA
level2
level2

Postby XmAkiNA » Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:05 pm

I hadn't noticed that about the age of prisoners, but I suspect it's probably a bug right now. There's certainly no graphical difference which probably helps.

xsuite wrote:The developers have said they want to tackle thorny subjects and issues in this game. They don't want to water everything down because some folks may get offended.

There are thorny issues; such as prison rape, racial tensions, reformation vs. punishment and the expenditure of public funds (things which happen in reality and have very divided opinions and cultural issues) and then there is gratuitous violence such as the murdering of innocent children (which I'm sure is pretty unanimously viewed as a Bad Thing). You could achieve the same game-play mechanic of hostages with a less gratuitously unpleasant situation by using inspectors or other adult visitors.
xsuite
level1
level1

Postby xsuite » Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:50 pm

XmAkiNA wrote:I hadn't noticed that about the age of prisoners, but I suspect it's probably a bug right now. There's certainly no graphical difference which probably helps.

xsuite wrote:The developers have said they want to tackle thorny subjects and issues in this game. They don't want to water everything down because some folks may get offended.

There are thorny issues; such as prison rape, racial tensions, reformation vs. punishment and the expenditure of public funds (things which happen in reality and have very divided opinions and cultural issues) and then there is gratuitous violence such as the murdering of innocent children (which I'm sure is pretty unanimously viewed as a Bad Thing). You could achieve the same game-play mechanic of hostages with a less gratuitously unpleasant situation by using inspectors or other adult visitors.

I'm not sure it is a bug, as in real life, you actually do have 16 and 17 year olds being charged as adults and serving sentences alongside adults.

Keep in mind, those youth involved in scared straight programs have already been charged with crimes, and its pretty common for judges to sentence troublesome and gang-involved youth to undergo a scared straight or other diversion programs. It's totally okay if you think it's a horrible bad idea, and that it repulses you- I think that's very good for you to feel that way; if it's ever implemented you'll probably pay a lot of attention to the tour group (whether its composed of officials, inspectors, visitors, or juvenile offenders), and you'll make sure nothing bad happens to them- as you should.
Arclight_Dynamo
level1
level1

Postby Arclight_Dynamo » Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:24 pm

XmAkiNA wrote:I hadn't noticed that about the age of prisoners, but I suspect it's probably a bug right now. There's certainly no graphical difference which probably helps.

I'd much rather have a game that says something about those issues rather than pussyfooting around them. It's like a war movie - you can't really say anything about war unless you show what war is actually like. If you refuse to show it, you end up with a Bowdlerized John Wayne movie. Dreck.

Return to “Community Members”