[Suggestion] Cell Blocks

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

Hessen
level3
level3

[Suggestion] Cell Blocks

Postby Hessen » Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:10 pm

Group all prisoners in certain cell blocks and set different regimes for them, so you can split shower/canteen/yard time etc.
Springare
level1
level1

Postby Springare » Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:29 pm

On that note, maybe a bit too dwarf-fortressy, but i would like to assign every prisoner to a cell (like bedroom-assigment in df). Later this could be usefull to have a cell-block for the heavy boys to keep them distant from the normal inmates.
Chad
level3
level3

Postby Chad » Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:33 pm

Maybe a bit dwarf fortressy but I like Hessens idea. And it would fit Springdares idea too, but with less work.

Block A with heavy boys and block B for some low runners.

Benefits off different regimes for different blocks: you could have smaller canteen/showers when you manage the times right.
Semtexian
level1
level1

Postby Semtexian » Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:35 pm

Yup good suggestion. IMO it doesn't matter if it bites df but the idea of having different regiments and assignments of certain prisoners for different cell blocks is totally fundamental to prison management IRL.

To make the concept a bit more gamey you could have the cell block designator ability unlock in the bureaucracy screen in campaign mode or something.
Last edited by Semtexian on Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Springare
level1
level1

Postby Springare » Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:38 pm

Interessting question would be, how many dwarf fortress and FUN lovers are around here? Because i think, manuall prisoner-assignment to cells feel like something i have done for years, but it could just be too much micro for someone, who isn't into that level of management.

Edit: To keep it DF-style, i found Hessens idea similar to a burrow.
Last edited by Springare on Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
a__gun
level3
level3

Postby a__gun » Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:39 pm

Similar to this, I think its a must to be able to 'zone' your prison. If you want two cell blocks with seperate canteens/yards etc you dont want prisoners from cell block a going to the yard of block b etc. This really bugs me atm lol
gsuberland
level2
level2

Postby gsuberland » Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:43 pm

Springare wrote:On that note, maybe a bit too dwarf-fortressy, but i would like to assign every prisoner to a cell (like bedroom-assigment in df). Later this could be usefull to have a cell-block for the heavy boys to keep them distant from the normal inmates.

You can already do this. Select a prisoner, then right click in a cell. A guard transfers them there and it becomes their cell.
In prison, you get your own toilet. At work, you have to share.
Springare
level1
level1

Postby Springare » Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:47 pm

gsuberland wrote:You can already do this. Select a prisoner, then right click in a cell. A guard transfers them there and it becomes their cell.

Ok, will try that, but how do you know, that this cell is empty or that the prisoner, who belongs to it, isn't just there?

Somekind of mouse-over-information would be enough to tackle that problem.
Semtexian
level1
level1

Postby Semtexian » Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:50 pm

gsuberland wrote:
Springare wrote:On that note, maybe a bit too dwarf-fortressy, but i would like to assign every prisoner to a cell (like bedroom-assigment in df). Later this could be usefull to have a cell-block for the heavy boys to keep them distant from the normal inmates.

You can already do this. Select a prisoner, then right click in a cell. A guard transfers them there and it becomes their cell.

IME some of them 'forget' after a little while and the cell goes empty again. It's kind of iffy for sure.
thekev506
level1
level1

Postby thekev506 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:28 pm

+1, would be a good way to break up gang trouble too, isolating the gang leader in another block
xenxander
level1
level1

Postby xenxander » Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:47 pm

this is definitely the first major update I would approve of.

It would allow you to allocate strained resources (showers, mess hall, common rooms) much better.
paal.sletner
level0

Postby paal.sletner » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:38 pm

An idea might be to provide a list of all the cells (similar to the list of trains in Transport Tycoon). In the list you can select single or multiple cells and create groups of cells that can be assigned different regimes. Also the prisoner assigned to the cell might be selected here. Any player can ignore this list and the options provided, and thus letting the game auto assign prisoners and using default regime in the same way that it's currently doing.

This might enable really complex management challenges in campaign mode (if the campaign requires it). Other campaigns might not need such micro management and requires the player to focus efforts of other parts of gameplay.

Totally agree that cell management should be an ability in the bureaucracy screen, allowing for it to be completely disabled if a specific campaign scenario requires it.
frasercarter
level1
level1

Postby frasercarter » Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:47 am

Yes this is what we need!!! make it happen!

Return to “Community Members”