Tutorial - Easy way to extend your building

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

tradami
level1
level1

Tutorial - Easy way to extend your building

Postby tradami » Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:14 pm

Hey guys,

So I've seen a lot of people wanting a better way to extend a building. Right now it's pretty annoying.

Here is a link to the short video. I hope this helps some of you out.

I will be making more short clips on nifty things I've found while playing as time goes on.

http://youtu.be/ISYjxueMwz4
Illanair
level3
level3

Postby Illanair » Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:18 pm

Neat.
flagger123
level0

Postby flagger123 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:02 pm

Awesome!

Much appreciated for posting that.
tradami
level1
level1

Postby tradami » Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:10 pm

No problem. I didn't realize until I was making the video that even if you rebuild the wall, it still considers it outside. So make sure you don't delete the walls!
Luzal
level1
level1

Postby Luzal » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:09 pm

Thanks a lot ! You're saving my life here.

I've been looking for a way to do this. The remaining issue is that you *have to* build a door in your extension's wall, though.
tradami
level1
level1

Postby tradami » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:18 pm

Correct, you do have to build a door, but really you can just remove it afterwards without any issues.
jaysc
level4
level4

Postby jaysc » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:58 pm

I think instead of demolishing the wall, you can just replace it with concrete straight away if you wanted a bigger room.
tradami
level1
level1

Postby tradami » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:01 pm

jaysc wrote:I think instead of demolishing the wall, you can just replace it with concrete straight away if you wanted a bigger room.

This is what I was showing. if you demolish the wall, you can no longer place concrete there though I realize it may be a bit unclear in the video.
pherenika
level0

Postby pherenika » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:46 pm

Thank you! This one bug has made me hesitant to play more, but now I can start spending hours in the game again. :)
juniperi
level1
level1

Postby juniperi » Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:32 pm

Thanks for the tutorial! Hopefully in the future we don't have to add door always when extending building.
Behrditz
level1
level1

Postby Behrditz » Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:35 am

Ive found an even faster and easier way to do it. I dont know how to make videos, so ill post links to my steam screenshots.

Basically, you CAN delete the wall beforehand, and then place a foundation. The thing is, you need to delete the WHOLE wall, you cant leave little end caps. As long as you can place a full square, it will work. See figure A here with description. http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... d=99886980

You can even make smaller expansions if you like, just follow the same rules. All you need to remember is that the Square needs to be completely free. And no, this will not place a fourth wall. It becomes a proper expanded room. You do still need a door of course. Luckily, you can just place the door in the middle of the room somewhere, and then remove the door. No need to punch holes. See Figure B here for partial expansion. http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... d=99887126 With this method, there are no weird outside strips. Its all good, baby.

I think the problem is everyone is just deleting the middle of the wall, so the corners get blocked, and thus the whole foundation wont build. But this simple way works every time for me.
a__gun
level3
level3

Postby a__gun » Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:49 am

Behrditz wrote:Ive found an even faster and easier way to do it. ......

Yea....this is the normal, obvious way to do it isnt it..? What I've been doing all along.
Trecares
level0

Postby Trecares » Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:08 am

I'm not sure why people are demolishing walls when that causes a bug where the cells becomes marked as outdoor spaces rather than indoor spaces.

My solution is to replace the wall(s) with concrete flooring, and then use that to expand upon the walls.

I can just replace one side of the wall (leave the corner walls up or you'll have gaps) with concrete flooring. And then build a new foundation next to that and put the door along the interior space. The door allows it to complete without putting any holes in the exterior walls. Then I get a fully expanded room with no walls between the two.
Behrditz
level1
level1

Postby Behrditz » Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:20 pm

a__gun wrote:
Behrditz wrote:Ive found an even faster and easier way to do it. ......

Yea....this is the normal, obvious way to do it isnt it..? What I've been doing all along.

I know. I think people are only taking away part of the wall so it looks like [ instead of making it flat, so the corners of the new foundation are either blocked and wont build, or they build the new foundation first BEFORE removing the wall, or some other weird thing.

Its super obvious to us, but apparently a bunch of people (like the guy before me) are deleting things wrong and getting outside gaps, so i spelled it out clearly how to do thing.

Return to “Community Members”