[Help] - How is the cook and toilet supposed to work ?

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

Vampyre
level1
level1

[Help] - How is the cook and toilet supposed to work ?

Postby Vampyre » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:56 am

Hi guys,

I was just playing with PA, when I met two problems (probably due to my lack of knowledge of the game yet). The first problem is when I tried to create a kitchen.

I had the cooker placed, and noticed the electric cable was not long enough. I extended it to pass under the kitchen, thinking it will do the same as with the other rooms (auto link like the lamps). Since it was not working, I made a derivation to pass under the cook. Still out of energy. I added one cook between the two electrical thingies, and still like that it's not working. I also added 9 capacitors to my electric station, thinking it could be a lack of power, but... no...

I have a screenshot for this one to explain it better.

The second problem is, to my opinion, related with my inability to place underground stuff :p Same problem but for the water system.

If you found out how those are working, feel free to let me know :)

Thanks
hellohboy
level0

Postby hellohboy » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:40 pm

From the screenshots, it looks like the toilet and the stove have water/power. If the icon is steady, the item has water/power, if it blinks, it does not.
Vampyre
level1
level1

Awww

Postby Vampyre » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:45 pm

Awww ok... Didn't understood those icons that way. Nice to know now :-)

Thans :-)
gsuberland
level2
level2

Postby gsuberland » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:46 pm

When an object requires a particular utility, its icon flashes. When it is properly supplied, the icon stops flashing.

Toilets require water. Pumps require electricity. Cookers and fridges require electricity. Sinks (used for prepping food in the kitchen!) require water.
messianic
level0

Postby messianic » Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:22 pm

hi. i just signed up for this game,and i cant even designate my kitchen to be a kitchen! i have a large room with sink, cooker, fridge, and hired a cook! it keeps saying i dont meet the requirements, and my cook just freezes to the spot of that red exclamation point. argh! what am i doing wrong??

oh, and the fixtures have water and electricity respectfully
ronanc
level4
level4

Postby ronanc » Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:35 pm

messianic wrote:hi. i just signed up for this game,and i cant even designate my kitchen to be a kitchen! i have a large room with sink, cooker, fridge, and hired a cook! it keeps saying i dont meet the requirements, and my cook just freezes to the spot of that red exclamation point. argh! what am i doing wrong??

oh, and the fixtures have water and electricity respectfully

It's possible the room isn't indoors. Did you use the foundation tool for the building? You should have.. don't just make walls.

A screenshot would help too if you're still stuck :)
messianic
level0

Postby messianic » Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:45 pm

thanks for the quick reply! here's a shot:

been trying to play for hours and i can't even get the prisoners to come inside lol.
[/img]
ronanc
level4
level4

Postby ronanc » Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:47 pm

Looks like you have just one cell designated as the kitchen.

You need to click and drag over the whole room. Start in one corner and work towards the opposite one.

And don't blame that poor chef again.. tis all your wrong doing! :D

PS. Do this for all rooms.

PPS. Your top two capacitors won't work there. They must be touching the power station side-to-side (you can fit 12 at most or 6 in that configuration as the wall is blocking two sides).
messianic
level0

Postby messianic » Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:51 pm

boy am i dumb. thanks a lot! tried searching the forums first to not be a bother but i didnt get very far. this is the first game i've chosen to pay for in a very long time, i'm determined to stick this one out!
Hessen
level3
level3

Postby Hessen » Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:51 pm

Have you done the tutorial? :)
messianic
level0

Postby messianic » Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:24 am

just realized that it even exists. :(
RandomRabbit
level0

Postby RandomRabbit » Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:39 am

ronanc wrote:PPS. Your top two capacitors won't work there. They must be touching the power station side-to-side (you can fit 12 at most or 6 in that configuration as the wall is blocking two sides).

I believe capacitors work on the diagonal, so 14 not 12.

Return to “Community Members”