[Suggestion] Delays to unlock services

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

Reduce the delays ?

Yes
86%
No
14%

Total votes: 22
Volcanosf
level1
level1

[Suggestion] Delays to unlock services

Postby Volcanosf » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:22 am

I think the delays to unlock a new service via the bureaucracy screen are long, too long ; especially when you need to hire a janitor, as your prison gets dirty very quickly when the prisoners have arrived. Six hours delays instead of twelve hours are better in my opinion.
gsuberland
level2
level2

Postby gsuberland » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:28 am

100% agree. After the second round of prisoners I was getting fights already, so I needed doctors. Took until around the 4th or 5th set of prisoners arriving before I managed to get a single janitor, which caused no end of problems with dirt.

An alternative would be to put prisoners on cleaning detail. This ties in with an idea I had for an extra time section, called work, where the prisoners have to do some kind of work activity. Repeatedly putting them on cleaning would cause boredom, so janitors would still be needed (especially for non-prisoner-accessible areas like the kitchen).
hotmachina
level1
level1

Postby hotmachina » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:43 am

+1 for ability to assign prisoners to cleaning duty. To offset the bonus I would recommend an increasing in ability to create contraband, specifically weapons from access to material to shiv i.e brooms and brushes etc.
UsF
level1
level1

Postby UsF » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:46 am

I disagree. The delays are only 12 hours and you can have many of them unlocked in paralell, if you have the money (which you get from government sponsoring). Only need an office for the warden and you are set, basically. Janitor on the third day is easily possible. And doctors by the time the prisoners arrive are possible too.
gsuberland
level2
level2

Postby gsuberland » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:59 am

UsF wrote:I disagree. The delays are only 12 hours and you can have many of them unlocked in paralell, if you have the money (which you get from government sponsoring). Only need an office for the warden and you are set, basically. Janitor on the third day is easily possible. And doctors by the time the prisoners arrive are possible too.

Problem is that you have to get the timing right, and build the more boring stuff (offices and medical facilities) very early on in the game. Whilst this is possible, it does reduce the enjoyment of gameplay. You can unlock some of them in parallel, but having to unlock multiple tiers just to get a damn janitor seems excessive.
Springare
level1
level1

Postby Springare » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:02 am

Maybe different delays would be a solution, like for the janitor-upgrade 6 hours (using a broom isn't that difficult) and for the doctor 12.
gsuberland
level2
level2

Postby gsuberland » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:07 am

Springare wrote:Maybe different delays would be a solution, like for the janitor-upgrade 6 hours (using a broom isn't that difficult) and for the doctor 12.

+1 on that. Anyone can be a janitor!
RMJ1984
level2
level2

Postby RMJ1984 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:54 pm

If you can get everyone very fast it ruins not only the longevity of the game, but the phasing.

It just have to be flushed out a bit more, but in tiers and structures, everything is a bit cluttered and random ish atm.
gsuberland
level2
level2

Postby gsuberland » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:57 pm

RMJ1984 wrote:If you can get everyone very fast it ruins not only the longevity of the game, but the phasing.

It just have to be flushed out a bit more, but in tiers and structures, everything is a bit cluttered and random ish atm.

I agree. The priorities need to be set up properly. Having a janitor take longer than a doctor or lawyer is odd.
thekev506
level1
level1

Postby thekev506 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:16 pm

+1 for having prisoners help clean, it's sensible and realistic

Return to “Community Members”