[BUG] Water pipes cant be built beneath walls

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

HowPeculiars
level2
level2

[BUG] Water pipes cant be built beneath walls

Postby HowPeculiars » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:14 am

You have to build water pipes through doors unlike electrical wires which can be built underneath walls.
Ogger
level0

Postby Ogger » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:16 am

I noticed it was only the big pipes that wouldn't go under walls.
HowPeculiars
level2
level2

Postby HowPeculiars » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:16 am

Yeah
SirFist
level0

Postby SirFist » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:19 am

I don't believe this is a bug. Rather the idea is that you use small pipes to go through walls to devices while the main water pipes provide water from the main pumps.
Ada
level1
level1

Postby Ada » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:20 am

It is a bit confusing and I really don't see any point to put development time into these pipes when there are so much other bugs and things to implement. Whoever thought of putting these water plumming systems in the game made a design error. My friends share my point of view.

If you had infinite amount of time to put into the game, then sure, put pipes into it. If you have other stuff put in like alternative doors, beds, etc.. why not put the time into that?
xnaught
level1
level1

Postby xnaught » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:52 am

I don't see this one as a bug either.

Kinda make sense that large pipe would not be located under structures...you would run the pipes up to the foundation and then smaller pipes into the building.

Saying that, its a pain in the arse and thing you should be able to go through walls etc lol
rcrowell
level0

Postby rcrowell » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:02 am

If I lay big pipe and let the workers build it, I can then place a foundation and walls on top of it just fine.

However, if I build the foundation first, let it build, and then try to lay the pipe, it gets blocked by the walls.

Toilet on the left does not have water, toilet on the right is working just fine.

OSX if it matters...

xnaught
level1
level1

Postby xnaught » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:10 am

I guess in real life it would be a similar matter, you could not really lay a major pipe under an existing building.

But if the pipe existed first you could place a build on the pipe.

Not saying its right or anything but maybe there was some logic behind the design......or maybe its an overlooked bug :)

Time will tell I guess.
Ada
level1
level1

Postby Ada » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:17 am

xnaught wrote:I guess in real life it would be a similar matter, you could not really lay a major pipe under an existing building.

Not saying its right or anything but maybe there was some logic behind the design......or maybe its an overlooked bug :)

Time will tell I guess.

Most people seem to dislike it though. :roll:

It is kinda like the sewer systems in Sim City 2000. The only real fucked up thing in Sim CIty was the sewer systems.
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:21 am

Ada wrote:Most people seem to dislike it though. :roll:

You polled all alpha users? Wow, I'm impressed. Especially since I never got to give my input yet you knew how I felt about the matter... :roll:
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.
Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.
xnaught
level1
level1

Postby xnaught » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:09 am

Ada wrote:
xnaught wrote:I guess in real life it would be a similar matter, you could not really lay a major pipe under an existing building.

Time will tell I guess.

Most people seem to dislike it though. :roll:

It is kinda like the sewer systems in Sim City 2000. The only real fucked up thing in Sim CIty was the sewer systems.

I for one really like the idea that I need to put slumming and electrical cables through the prison.

Its not on a scale with a game like sim city, I felt the system in that series very complicated and when you have a city spreading over miles its a pain.

But a game like PA is simple in size compared to that franchise...and apart from the pain of having to move large pipes around walls its a great idea to have in the game.

Would be even better if the inmates stage a prison break at some point and use the sewage system as a means of escape (...starts to make a new suggestions thread) :)
RMJ1984
level2
level2

Postby RMJ1984 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:42 am

Its a bug or it should be, why would you not be able to make water pipe under walls, a bit silly tbh.

game should follow similar paths, so if you can put power underwalls then you cant have water pipes that cant, it just overly complicates the game.
Oranite
level0

Postby Oranite » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:46 am

Ya I don't believe this is a bug, rather intentionally.

EDIT: Never mind, if you look at the sample saved game Chris put up on:

http://devwiki.introversion.co.uk/pa/index.php/Sharing_your_Prison

The big pipes actually do work through the walls.[/url]
Last edited by Oranite on Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ada
level1
level1

Postby Ada » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:47 am

Montyphy wrote:

You polled all alpha users? Wow, I'm impressed. Especially since I never got to give my input yet you knew how I felt about the matter... :roll:

I said "Most people seem" not "most people do". :roll:

And for FYI that comes from asking people who play the alpha and not only asking you. :wink:

RMJ1984 wrote:Its a bug or it should be, why would you not be able to make water pipe under walls, a bit silly tbh.

game should follow similar paths, so if you can put power underwalls then you cant have water pipes that cant, it just overly complicates the game.

Yea. And I for one love complex games but this just feels unneedy. I'd much rather have lots of other detail. For example what my staff thinks or what my prisoners think (in detailed text like in RollerCoaster Tycoon). Or what about micromanaging your staffs gear. Or micromanaging what kind of food the prsioners are able to eat (make it possible to increase happiness but not mandatory). Or just putting the hours and hours of development time put on sewers on for example bug fixing. It is just a game design fault seeing plumming is not really that important in a prison architect game. It'd be like putting a sewer system in f.e. RollerCoaster Tycoon or Dungeon Keeper 2. It'd just feel misplaced.
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:34 pm

Ada wrote:
Montyphy wrote:

I said "Most people seem" not "most people do". :roll:

And for FYI that comes from asking people who play the alpha and not only asking you. :wink:

You're missing the point. How have you managed to talk to "most" alpha players in order to come to this conclusion? Most aren't even on these forums, let alone stated an opinion in this thread.
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.

Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.

Return to “Community Members”