[Suggestion] Overly Graphic Story Images

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

Ada
level1
level1

Postby Ada » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:39 pm

HowPeculiars wrote:Bloody hell, have I took the time machine back to more innocent times or have I inadvertently stumbled into the North American South West?

"Amorality of cartoon nudity", There's nothing "amoral" about nudity period. Nor is there such thing as objective morality.

There was nothing unsettling about it either. The cartoon shot the two naughty cartoons in their pixel brain. Many a red pixel was rendered on that day.

Well said! :D
Wasgood
level5
level5

Postby Wasgood » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:40 pm

Keep it as is. Very good.
xnaught
level1
level1

Postby xnaught » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:53 pm

ellbristow wrote:
Ada wrote:My issue is that it's not in keeping with the overall theme and feel of the game (perhaps I should have been clearer about that before). Were I playing GTA I would expect violence, drugs, prostitution etc. But for a prison management game, I wasn't expecting nudity, especially with the cartoon style of the UI.

I totally agree with this comment....

Although for me Its nothing about seeing naked people or too much violence, I for one are up for both its games and rather enjoy it!

I think you guys that are harping on about this nudity issue are missing the point, some of us felt that you have two very different feelings to the game, you don't get the same emotions playing the game and then seeing the cut scene.

The style is very sim like, fun, enjoyable...you don't really feel much emotion if a prisoner is running around with a knife for example, but then a cut scene kicks in, more realistic and dark.

I love both but my personal feeling was they did not gel together well.
Illanair
level3
level3

Postby Illanair » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:04 pm

ellbristow wrote:No I'm not Amish, but I do have a sense of morality. Actually I was not so much disturbed by the unclad woman as I was by the unclad man. I don't wanna see that in a game. Infer, suggest, whatever... but don't show me some dudes crotch!

Fun fact: Morality is a personal thing - not a global compass that everyone agrees with.

And really? Are you THAT insecure? :? If anything the electric chair is the most disturbing imagery they could put into the game setting if you ask me. Naked people covered up is nothing compared to themes such as that.
hotmachina
level1
level1

Postby hotmachina » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:17 pm

The juxtapose position inferred by the graphic overlays are absolutely spot on PLEASE don't change anything.

Also, the theme of this story is very similar to Shawshank Redemption widely regarded as one of the best prison films ever made.

Can I ask anyone who is offended by the graphic design what they see here:

Genuine question.
RMJ1984
level2
level2

Postby RMJ1984 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:43 pm

I think stuff like this is needed to set the done, i dont see why cartoony graphics and a dark game isnt possible.

i mean they could just make a sort of child mode or something where you turn that off, so that kids could play it, if that is what they want.

I think it fits the game perfectly also, i imagine there will be a lot more like this when you play the game to keep it interestnig, having to execute and other stuff of prisoners.
tradami
level1
level1

Postby tradami » Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:31 pm

Anyone notice that during fights swear words are #$%@ ified?
lighthaze
level0

Postby lighthaze » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:06 pm

I think it's fine. To be honest, I think that the style of the game fits perfectly. It helps tackling certain ideas (gangs, murder, violence) without being to explicit.
Tranchera
level0

Postby Tranchera » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:17 pm

ellbristow wrote:No I'm not Amish, but I do have a sense of morality. Actually I was not so much disturbed by the unclad woman as I was by the unclad man. I don't wanna see that in a game. Infer, suggest, whatever... but don't show me some dudes crotch!

You pretty much invalidated everything you said with that sentence. Your argument went from "nudity in a video game is shocking!" to "ew, a penis!", which simply suggests you're that homophobic that you can't handle a CARTOON of a naked man (I was going to say "of a man's junk", but you don't even see anything). Your sense of morality should be telling you that if you're going to have a problem with your 4 year old seeing cartoons of naked people, it shouldn't matter whether or not they have tits. Male or female, you should be avoiding showing those to your kid.
hotmachina
level1
level1

Postby hotmachina » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:36 pm

Tranchera, although I agree with what you are saying I just want to comment that being adverse to seeing a mans penis does not make you homophobic, it makes you a prude. Homophobic means literally "to be irrationally fearful (phobic) to homosexuality (homo)"

Carry on.
vostok4
level0

Postby vostok4 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:46 pm

Personally, I really didn't think it fits in the game, nor is it necessary.

Like others have mentioned, I'd much prefer a Bullfrog style approach than this needless reminder of how bad people can be.

Oh, and inb4 RAWRAW SHOOTERS AND WAR GAMES RAW RAW: shooters and war games generally have no emotion, you don't hear people screaming with their last death "I HAVE A WIFE I HAVE CHILDREN PLEASE DON'T DO THIS I DON'T WANT TO DIE WE CAN WORK THIS OUT" and then the player pulls the trigger, watching as the life seeps from the body, taken to cutscenes of the player then having PTSD and not being able to console themselves afterwards, being an emotion wreck. ITS A FUCKING VIDEO GAME NOT A DEPICTION OF REAL LIFE.

I'm not playing this game because I get to run a prison, I'm playing it because it's like a Dwarf Fortress that doesn't require me to lose my mind with the amount of micro necessary and a terrible UI. I don't care that there's little pixels on my screen who've done something wrong. I care about executing on the mechanics of the game to a satisfactory level.

As to the "you need to get inside their heads to control them" comment... really? This game is all about psychoanalysis? I really don't think so.

At least make it an option to simply return true at the beginning of all unnecessary cutscenes/emotion etc. The people who want it can have it, the others can simply get a game, which is what they spent 30$ on in the first place.
Illanair
level3
level3

Postby Illanair » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:53 pm

*sigh*

The art style of the cutscenes is nothing new - "you'd" know that if you'd spent 5 seconds researching the game. It fits the theme - complaining that the cartoony artstyle and this doesn't mix is plain silly. You've got inmates stabbing each other with knives, hedgecutters and drills. Blood everywhere.

Using Bullfrog's Theme Hospital as an argument to tone everything down is a poor one. IV clearly chose a more sinister and "real" atmosphere - in line with all of their earlier titles. If you don't like it, don't play it. The game will offer sandbox gameplay void of any semblance of a campaign.
111none
level4
level4

Postby 111none » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:58 am

lighthaze wrote:I think it's fine. To be honest, I think that the style of the game fits perfectly. It helps tackling certain ideas (gangs, murder, violence) without being to explicit.

look, being age 12, this gamme is not as disturbing as some other games. I personally believe this is a way for the player to get attached to the game, as they have an emotional tie.
I still warrant though, IV might want to come up for a more censored version for the middle east and china if they wish to enter that market.
With the sincerest regards,
111none
christopher1006
level5
level5

Postby christopher1006 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:17 am

Leave the art style be and offer a censored mode, I personally really like where the art style is at the moment. It allows a sense of story to take place in an otherwise cartoon world and after those cut scenes it changes how you view that world. Just because IV said they'd like to make it like Bullfrog games doesn't mean they should make the game just like it, there's no point in buying this game if that's all they do. They said from the beginning it was going to be a more serious and grim game that isn't going to be your standard "beat in 5 hours or less shooter" but rather something that allows you to take control of keeping in men (women?) who've done anything from simple thefts to double pre-meditated murder and are await death row. If you came to this game for lighthearted game play I think you may find this game to be fun but not as what you originally wanted. Another part to this is the fact that you don't have to play the campaign which seems to be where most, if not all, of the story will take place. There will still be the sandbox which will just contain those polaroids.
Yes, that is a penguin with rabies. Deal with it.
largestherb
level1
level1

Postby largestherb » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:19 am

ellbristow wrote:I didn't say it was less disturbing, I said it fit better with the theme of the game. Prison + Execution = Logical. Prison + Nudity = Less logical

prison + execution = not two things that have been connected in the UK for a very long time.

prison + naked men = VERY associated. don't drop the soap!

Return to “Community Members”