[Suggestion] Overly Graphic Story Images

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

brindy
level1
level1

Postby brindy » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:17 am

ellbristow wrote:OK I'm clearly not getting reply reports for this thread because I didn't see your replies!

You have to click the "watch this topic" link at the bottom of the page. I find the best thing is to set it do that by default by changing the setting in your profile. :)
Ada
level1
level1

Postby Ada » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:17 am

ellbristow wrote:OK I'm clearly not getting reply reports for this thread because I didn't see your replies!

I agree the the death chamber is an adult subject, however it is something you would naturally connect to a prison.

No I'm not Amish, but I do have a sense of morality. Actually I was not so much disturbed by the unclad woman as I was by the unclad man. I don't wanna see that in a game. Infer, suggest, whatever... but don't show me some dudes crotch!

TBH your sense of morality is way off if you think the execution scene was less disturbing than the unclad man or unclad woman. Dare I guess you come from USA?
HowPeculiars
level2
level2

Postby HowPeculiars » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:21 am

Did anyone else find none of this remotely disturbing or am I just some lone sociopath? :lol:
Ada
level1
level1

Postby Ada » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:22 am

HowPeculiars wrote:Did anyone else find none of this remotely disturbing or am I just some lone sociopath? :lol:

I thought it was rather disturbing when he shot the woman and the man. But in a good way. They really got spot on with the feeling. :D
xnaught
level1
level1

Postby xnaught » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:35 am

I have to admit, watching the murder scene felt a bit unnecessary

I don't think PA needs to go into that much detail with the story of the character, just hearing that he killed his wife in a jealous rage would feel enough.

One thing I liked about games like Theme Hospital for example, is that it was a fun game that only needed a small amount of information about the characters, although maybe a little more would have made the game interesting.
phort99
level0

Postby phort99 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:43 am

If the intro makes you uncomfortable, good. It sets the scene for frankly a very grim sort of game. This is a game where you have to handle dozens or hundreds of people who have all done these sorts of things, and you have to get inside their heads in order to be able to control them. It would be wrong to make a game about prisons while glossing over the whole "crime" aspect.
Hessen
level3
level3

Postby Hessen » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:54 am

Mowing down hundreds of people in Call of Duty with a machine gun - it's all good.
Watch cartoon prisoners killing each other with hidden weapons - hey, it's all part of the game

But a half-dressed cartoon female!!!! - I'M OUTRAGED
xnaught
level1
level1

Postby xnaught » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:06 am

For me its the feeling that the game is trying to create, there has been lots of talk that IV were looking to make a Bullfrog style game...and if so I felt that the cut scenes were more serious than they needed to be.

I kinda liked the humour that bullfrog games brought to the table, and have felt the game so far has a similar feel until that cut scene.

Now, if they are trying to make a serious prison game and create dark atmospheric feel than that's a different matter, maybe the cartoon feel was not the better choice.
Ada
level1
level1

Postby Ada » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:22 am

xnaught wrote:For me its the feeling that the game is trying to create, there has been lots of talk that IV were looking to make a Bullfrog style game...and if so I felt that the cut scenes were more serious than they needed to be.

I kinda liked the humour that bullfrog games brought to the table, and have felt the game so far has a similar feel until that cut scene.

Now, if they are trying to make a serious prison game and create dark atmospheric feel than that's a different matter, maybe the cartoon feel was not the better choice.

I kinda agree but I really like the harsh feeling the game is trying to create. I'd rather have more dynamic events than these cutscenes.

With this said I really had an emotional connection with the cutscene. Who ever made the graphics really did a good job.
xnaught
level1
level1

Postby xnaught » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:04 am

Ada wrote:
xnaught wrote:For me its the feeling that the game is trying to create, there has been lots of talk that IV were looking to make a Bullfrog style game...and if so I felt that the cut scenes were more serious than they needed to be.

I kinda agree but I really like the harsh feeling the game is trying to create. I'd rather have more dynamic events than these cutscenes.

With this said I really had an emotional connection with the cutscene. Who ever made the graphics really did a good job.

Yeah don't get me wrong, was very well done and felt very dark (strangely chilling for cartoon images) but felt out of place somewhat with the cartoonie, fun style of the game.

I understand that prisons are not meant to be fun and cartoonie...but that's what makes this game fun to play! :)

It was the same with Theme hospital - it was not about the heart break of death, it was about the fun illnesses and the crazy ways to save people.

Dungeon keeper was about being evil, but you I don't think you felt somewhat evil...it was about the brilliant rooms and the fun building dungeons and attacking the heroes.

I personally like the cut scenes in PA but just feel that a slightly toned down version would fit better with the game.
Last edited by xnaught on Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
heimidal
level0

Postby heimidal » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:06 am

The juxtaposition of the cartoon theme versus the adult themes is really great. I think they hit it spot on.

Let's grow up a little -- if you can handle the moral question of whether executing a prisoner for murdering his wife is the right thing to do, you can certainly handle seeing two cartoon people nearly naked. There is nothing amoral about cartoon nudity.

I appreciated that they showed both genders scantily clad in that scene. If they had only showed the woman's breasts it would have come off as seriously chauvinistic and sexist. If you can't deal with seeing a cartoon man naked but have no trouble building an execution chamber, you may want to step back and take a look things.
ellbristow
level1
level1

Postby ellbristow » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:17 am

Ada wrote:TBH your sense of morality is way off if you think the execution scene was less disturbing than the unclad man or unclad woman. Dare I guess you come from USA?

I didn't say it was less disturbing, I said it fit better with the theme of the game. Prison + Execution = Logical. Prison + Nudity = Less logical

My issue is that it's not in keeping with the overall theme and feel of the game (perhaps I should have been clearer about that before). Were I playing GTA I would expect violence, drugs, prostitution etc. But for a prison management game, I wasn't expecting nudity, especially with the cartoon style of the UI.

Yes perhaps my moral radar is over-sensitive, but is that really a bad thing?

PS I'm not from the US. UK born and bred.
MacroMetro | Lead Developer
gsuberland
level2
level2

Postby gsuberland » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:24 am

Murder and violence is ok, but depictions of the naked body isn't?

Strange place to draw the line.
thisisgil
level1
level1

Postby thisisgil » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:16 pm

The images (if you're referring to the whole discovery of the affair part) were unsettling because they jarred so much with the existing "classic sim/tycoon game" art style.

This was one of the most powerful things about the tutorial sequence for me, and it hammers a point home: It's easy for us to be detached from the things that are going in the game, but the cut scenes really help to hammer the implications home and add gravity to your actions.

Because of the impact of the cut scenes, I would be loathe for them to be toned down in any way. By all means, have a "censored" option from the main menu that completely removes the cut scenes from the game, but for a lot of us, this is the mature and adult game that gamers have been craving for years and to diminish some of the impact would be a shame.
HowPeculiars
level2
level2

Postby HowPeculiars » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:33 pm

Bloody hell, have I took the time machine back to more innocent times or have I inadvertently stumbled into the North American South West?

"Amorality of cartoon nudity", There's nothing "amoral" about nudity period. Nor is there such thing as objective morality.

There was nothing unsettling about it either. The cartoon shot the two naughty cartoons in their pixel brain. Many a red pixel was rendered on that day.

Return to “Community Members”