Tutorial design flaws

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

jelco
level5
level5

Tutorial design flaws

Postby jelco » Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:42 pm

Some things that seem very odd about the tutorial:

• The title screen "Chapter 1: Death Row" flashes by for a millisecond before the IV logo pops up
  • The introduction cinematic isn't skippable
  • The CEO talks very slowly

Jelco
"The ships hung in the sky much the same way that bricks don't."
- Douglas Adams
SuperConductiveRabbi
level1
level1

Postby SuperConductiveRabbi » Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:44 pm

FYI, you can left click to make the CEO talk faster, Zelda style
jelco
level5
level5

Postby jelco » Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:49 pm

It skips him to the end of his dialogue, yes, but that doesn't make him talk faster. It's much more user-friendly to just have the text pop up on screen a little fast and then leaving it there to read before going to the next sentence, than it is to continuously have to poke the interface to hurry up.

Jelco
"The ships hung in the sky much the same way that bricks don't."

- Douglas Adams
Kjammer
level1
level1

Postby Kjammer » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:41 pm

Another flaw with the tutorial:

The CEO attempted to turn on the electric chair before it was connected and starts the "overloaded generator" segment of the tutorial while it was still working. He says, "Notice the prison's gone dark" while all the lights still are on.
Mas Tnega
level5
level5

Postby Mas Tnega » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:20 pm

• You can move Edward whenever and wherever you please.
  • You can wall in the electric chair to make it unreachable. This stops Edward from getting into the chair, but the rest of the cutscene continues unchanged.
  • You can undo just about everything as you go along. For example: I demolished my cell the minute I needed to move Edward and simply built a foundation to cover the cell's space when I needed to power up the cell.

Screenshot showing:
Edward's corpse well outside the prison.
A massive block of wall the rough shape of the execution chamber and cell (for all of the "routing" issues, the workers seemed to have little trouble walking out from the centre of that).
thekev506
level1
level1

Postby thekev506 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:56 pm

I think the tutorial needs to cover a lot more ground than it currently does. Maybe there are going to be levels in the game that will explain things as you go along, but all the tutorial shown me was how to build a room and power it, which didn't help me much when I went into the open game and all of my prisoners are rioting by day 2 because I don't know how to deal with a homesick prisoner.
RabidZombie
level5
level5

Postby RabidZombie » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:43 pm

Given the massive potential of scripted event fucking up, it might be worth making it only possible to build what you need to build to finish the current active objectives.

It also might be worth making it impossible to dismantle/dump objects vital to the scripted events workingness.
StrixVaria
level0

Postby StrixVaria » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:09 pm

thekev506 wrote:I think the tutorial needs to cover a lot more ground than it currently does. Maybe there are going to be levels in the game that will explain things as you go along, but all the tutorial shown me was how to build a room and power it, which didn't help me much when I went into the open game and all of my prisoners are rioting by day 2 because I don't know how to deal with a homesick prisoner.

But part of the fun of a game like this is losing repeatedly to figure out what works and what doesn't. The point of sandbox mode is eventually to lose. You're just trying to stave it off as long as possible.
Fiohnel
level0

Postby Fiohnel » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:18 pm

When it comes to tutorial with such serious drama going on, it's important to have it tightly controlled though, in order not to mess up the narrative.
ian76g
level1
level1

Re: Tutorial design flaws

Postby ian76g » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:55 pm

jelco wrote:Some things that seem very odd about the tutorial:

• The title screen "Chapter 1: Death Row" flashes by for a millisecond before the IV logo pops up
  • The introduction cinematic isn't skippable
  • The CEO talks very slowly
Jelco

+ Bed and Toilet are required not only in the cell - but exactly those positions shown in the tutorial.
-> I liked to place them both on different spots - but the tutorial did not accept that :-(
Mas Tnega
level5
level5

Postby Mas Tnega » Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:35 am

You only need exactly one square of execution chamber to complete the tutorial.
You only need exactly one square of cell to complete the tutorial.

Return to “Community Members”