Bug: death row prisoners not coming

General chit-chat and minor questions about just about anything

Moderator: NBJeff

Fever_twitchtv
level0

Bug: death row prisoners not coming

Postby Fever_twitchtv » Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:48 am

Issue
Can anyone help me. I've built an execution facility, I have DR prisoners available and coming on the bus, but when the intake gets to my prison, they're not on the bus. I've completed the story and have 260 hours in the game so have a decent understanding of it I like to think.

Overview
I've completed the tech tree, checked that I have enough power to power up the chair, I seem to have enough guards and the accessibility seems correct. I've tried reclassifying the rooms. I've even tried changing the corridor from the main reception area to the execution facility. All other prisoner types are arriving without problem and the prison is pretty much running itself at this point. So far three DR prisoners who were supposed to arrive didn't. In my execution block I have an execution room with electric chair and witness chairs, parole room, cell with facilities including phone, a kitchen assigned to the cell, an infirmary and morgue all of which are correctly zoned. I have spare guards assigned to the execution block. I have correctly zoned the facility so that access shouldn't be an issue.

Specific details of bug
I decided to monitor exactly what was happening at 8am when the prisoners should arrive. A DR prisoner was finally scheduled to arrive a few days later with 2 max security and 4 minimum security, 7 prisoners in total. All was well until 8am. I watched very closely and at 8am but importantly before the bus was spotted coming down the road, the "prisoner intake" totals for some reason changed to 2 maximum security and 2 minimum security. The bus then appeared (other vehicles were queued ahead of it so it took a few seconds longer to appear) and it had 2 maximum security and 2 minimum security on it which were then dropped off. The prisoner intake then said "0 prisoners arriving".

So the "prisoner intake" displayed on the left of the screen changed unexpectedly within a matter of seconds and what was supposed to be arriving for the last 24 hours was overwritten with these new values which did actually arrive.

I don't think therefore that I'll ever get my DR prisoners. Maybe it will randomly change the opposite way and when I don't expect one, one will arrive. I will keep my eye on it.

My questions
Is this bug known about or expected to be addressed at some point? I notice other people have had similar problems with DR prisoners not arriving in the past. Have their been repeated attempts to address this bug?
Trixi
level2
level2

Re: Bug: death row prisoners not coming

Postby Trixi » Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:24 pm

Could you post your prison to check?

My guess is that your deathrow cells are not in a cell block
StormPoet
level1
level1

Postby StormPoet » Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:25 pm

Only way to see what is going on would be for you to upload your save file. The .png file isn't necessary just the .prison file is enough.
Fever_twitchtv
level0

Postby Fever_twitchtv » Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:31 pm

Trixi wrote:Could you post your prison to check?

My guess is that your deathrow cells are not in a cell block

Here are the screenshots and the prison file. Thanks for your reply :)

Execution block (bottom left of screenshot) : http://i.imgur.com/z01CFdK.jpg
Whole prison: http://i.imgur.com/nLPRyrc.jpg
Deployment including zones: http://i.imgur.com/BK7gA0D.jpg

.prison file
https://justpaste.it/vkh1

(edited to include the correct screenshots)
Last edited by Fever_twitchtv on Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:43 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Fever_twitchtv
level0

Postby Fever_twitchtv » Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:31 pm

StormPoet wrote:Only way to see what is going on would be for you to upload your save file. The .png file isn't necessary just the .prison file is enough.

See above. Thanks for your reply :)
StormPoet
level1
level1

Postby StormPoet » Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:16 am

Not sure what the problem is exactly. I know per the normal way the game runs that you aren't going to be overwhelmed with numbers of deathrow inmates. They are very few and far between. The other factor is the possible clemency status assigned to each deathrow inmate. The higher the % the higher the chance their sentence will be commuted in one way or another. Once the time ticks down and the intake sequence begins a few things will happen with the deathrow inmate. Their number gets taken out of the intake and they are given their own section in the Todo list called Death Row Inmates Status which lists their name and their clemency status. Now I don't think that it's inconceivable that when you got the other Death Row inmate(s) that their clemency rating was so high that they were granted clemency and either released or changed to a max sec prisoner as soon as they landed on site. I would say wait and see what happens in the future with them and see if it continues.

Here is a picture to show you what I mean about the clemency thing and the Todo list: http://imgur.com/ibMUJtp

Now... there is a way you can force having a bigger pool of deathrow inmates which is what I did to figure out what was going on as I haven't made a deathrow prison yet other than the campaign. If you want to do so make sure you make multiple saves of the game and mark the one you are going to change in case you mess something up. From the Main Menu go to Options and go to Open Save Folder. Find the file you want to edit and open it up. Ctrl + F to search for Categories. Once you find it scroll down and find the pool for deathrow it should look like this:

BEGIN i PrisonerCategory DeathRow Pool 0 Ratio 0.5019647 NextIntake 0 Queue 6 NumNITGs 0 END

Just change the zero after Pool to whatever number you want and that will give you a larger pool of deathrow inmates to work with while you figure it all out.

Just a recommendation in regards to the area you have set up for deathrow. You might wanna add a canteen somewhere as without one they wont be able to eat and I dont think you want them to starve or eat with the other prisoners. I originally thought this might be the entire reason it wasn't working, but I was wrong. :P
Fever_twitchtv
level0

Postby Fever_twitchtv » Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:12 pm

StormPoet wrote:Just a recommendation in regards to the area you have set up for deathrow. You might wanna add a canteen somewhere as without one they wont be able to eat and I dont think you want them to starve or eat with the other prisoners. I originally thought this might be the entire reason it wasn't working, but I was wrong. :P

The canteen to the right in the long thin max security block is assigned to the DR block.

Thanks for the detailed reply though! My biggest concern is why did 7 prisoners become 4 when the buss arrived, including very last minute changes to the numbers displayed in the "intake" section of the left hand panel. For those numbers to change dramatically within seconds whiffs of a bug, especially as the numbers don't add up (1 death row, 2 maximum and 4 minimum suddenly being changed to 2 maximum and 2 minimum in the time it takes from 8AM for the bus to arrive).

I will continue to test it. It would be nice something from Introversion though.
Fever_twitchtv
level0

Postby Fever_twitchtv » Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:12 pm

StormPoet wrote:Just a recommendation in regards to the area you have set up for deathrow. You might wanna add a canteen somewhere as without one they wont be able to eat and I dont think you want them to starve or eat with the other prisoners. I originally thought this might be the entire reason it wasn't working, but I was wrong. :P

The canteen to the right in the long thin max security block is assigned to the DR block.

Thanks for the detailed reply though! My biggest concern is why did 7 prisoners become 4 when the buss arrived, including very last minute changes to the numbers displayed in the "intake" section of the left hand panel. For those numbers to change dramatically within seconds whiffs of a bug, especially as the numbers don't add up (1 death row, 2 maximum and 4 minimum suddenly being changed to 2 maximum and 2 minimum in the time it takes from 8AM for the bus to arrive).

I will continue to test it. It would be nice something from Introversion though.
StormPoet
level1
level1

Postby StormPoet » Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:48 pm

Fever_twitchtv wrote:

RE Canteen: When I took a look at Logistics it didn't appear to be assigned anywhere. I think that prisoner is going to starve because the max security section is set for max security not death row which means that the death row inmate wont be allowed by the game mechancs to eat there.

RE Intake: It's not a bug. As soon as the bus hits the edge of the screen the intake info immediately changes to the next days intake. And you can test this easily: close intake for a few days and let people get released/killed or whatever to make so that you have room for a couple days of intake at 5-10 a day and watch the edge of the map when the timer gets down to the last few minutes. And then follow the bus to confirm that the prisoners indeed get off the bus in the numbers that were showing before the intake info changed.
Fever_twitchtv
level0

Postby Fever_twitchtv » Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:50 pm

StormPoet wrote:
Fever_twitchtv wrote:
StormPoet wrote:
RE Canteen: When I took a look at Logistics it didn't appear to be assigned anywhere. I think that prisoner is going to starve because the max security section is set for max security not death row which means that the death row inmate wont be allowed by the game mechancs to eat there.

RE Intake: It's not a bug. As soon as the bus hits the edge of the screen the intake info immediately changes to the next days intake. And you can test this easily: close intake for a few days and let people get released/killed or whatever to make so that you have room for a couple days of intake at 5-10 a day and watch the edge of the map when the timer gets down to the last few minutes. And then follow the bus to confirm that the prisoners indeed get off the bus in the numbers that were showing before the intake info changed.

I will double check that thanks for the heads up. When I first created the execution block, where the parole room is now I had a canteen, then I realised there needed to be a parole room available for death row and also the prisoner is served meals in his cell (according to the wiki), so there was no need for the canteen. I think the link between the execution block cell and the kitchen in the adjacent block got decoupled during the changes I was making, or is just an issue maybe with loading the game. Another example of a load issue is when I load a saved game my electric chair is switched off, even though it was on when I saved.

Just to clarify here is another breakdown of what is happening at 8AM, the times are approximated. I want people to be clear that there is definitely something strange occuring:
Prison is set to fill to capacity with minimum or maximum security or death row prisoners (all of the associated sliders in the "Intake" section if the journal are set to accept as many as possible).
For the 24 hours before 8AM: next intake is 4 minimum security, 2 maximum security, 1 death row
Exactly 08:00:00 AM: Next intake is 2 maximum security, 2 minimum security. No bus on road.
Approximately 08:04:00AM: Bus arrives on road. Next intake is 0 (because the prison is now full). Bus comes down the road and drops off 2 maximum security, 2 minimum security.

I can understand a death row prisoner maybe being changed to maximum security, although I think the game should be clearer if and when that occurs because I've not seen it explained as an official mechanic prior to prisoners getting off the bus anywhere. Secondly, I was expecting 7 prisoners and now get 4. Unless two prisoners broke into my prison this makes no sense to me :)

Basically, I don't understand the difference in numbers...They just look like random numbers. It's got to be a bug.

I will record it happening and post a video showing it. It's like there's a ghost in the machine or something :D
Fever_twitchtv
level0

Postby Fever_twitchtv » Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:26 pm

So I recorded the arrival of my next DR prisoner and it all worked perfectly. What's that about things running smoothly when you try to show someone a problem? xD

I will keep my eye on it and if I can see it happening again I will attempt to record it and post here. It may be of use for the devs in some way.
StormPoet
level1
level1

Postby StormPoet » Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:20 pm

Fever_twitchtv wrote:So I recorded the arrival of my next DR prisoner and it all worked perfectly. What's that about things running smoothly when you try to show someone a problem? xD

I will keep my eye on it and if I can see it happening again I will attempt to record it and post here. It may be of use for the devs in some way.

Yeah I have never seen that happen myself but it might have been a weird one time thing but who knows. Good luck either way.
Fever_twitchtv
level0

Postby Fever_twitchtv » Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:40 am

StormPoet wrote:
Fever_twitchtv wrote:So I recorded the arrival of my next DR prisoner and it all worked perfectly. What's that about things running smoothly when you try to show someone a problem? xD

Yeah I have never seen that happen myself but it might have been a weird one time thing but who knows. Good luck either way.

Thanks for all your help! :)

Return to “General”