Thoughts about hot water

General chit-chat and minor questions about just about anything

Moderator: NBJeff

seesaw
level2
level2

Thoughts about hot water

Postby seesaw » Sat Mar 26, 2016 5:04 am

While I like the idea, I think it is going the wrong way. The hot water pipes have a small range and it makes impossible to create a cell block with integrated showers in cells unless you use a lot of water boilers.

I think that has to be tweaked, like for example increasing the range of hot water pipes when they are inside foundations. I think that 30 square range is very small, more than 40-50 square seems a lot but the problem is that we dont have large hot water pipes, which I prefer not to have because I would hate to have another type of logistic.
Anyway I think there should be something that enables us to use one, and just one, water boiler for each average size* cell block. Maybe you could couple the hot water with the temperature thing, in which if there radiators, the hot water pipes will have a wider range.

In addition the hot water pipe adds another pain in the ass thing which we are dragging since a lot of time... When you want to dismantle one utility (cable, water, hot water) the dismantle tool will dismantle EVERYTHING. Sometimes I want to just dismantle the cables, without messing the water system, or the reverse thing. Now it will mess 2 things, instead of one.

* For average size I mean the cell block designed by the psychiatrist in the campaign mission 4, conviction.
rstd2
level1
level1

Re: Thoughts about hot water

Postby rstd2 » Sat Mar 26, 2016 6:00 am

I personally think that it would be better if they either:
  • Made the hot water pipes share the same pipe as cold water.
  • Add thick, insulated hot water pipes that go much further.
murgh
level2
level2

Postby murgh » Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:45 am

rstd2 wrote:I personally think that it would be better if they either:
  • Add thick, insulated hot water pipes that go much further.

This. How can we manage a big large building with a water boiler which is meant for a normal small house? We need an industrial boiler to keep things warm. The current implementation is just nonsense. And there is not even a tooltip for the small hot pipe. Looks like a hasty job to get this item into the game to me.
couchplayer
level0

Postby couchplayer » Sat Mar 26, 2016 1:11 pm

Here's an idea from Reddit. Add a basement layer and just put the big utilities there.
Kodasa
level1
level1

Postby Kodasa » Sun Mar 27, 2016 4:39 am

I think, but cannot confirm, that placing multiple boilers directly next to each other, increases the range the hot water travels. I built a large shower block with 2 boilers side by side in the next room, and the hot water covered every shower head, I then tried to pipe to two radiators on the other side of the prison, and I had to place a boiler just outside the wall, and the single boiler didn't reach nearly as far. Screenshot will come soon. The forum cuts off the right side of the screenshots so you may need to right click and select "View Image" to see it more clearly.

The two side by side boilers provide hot water pressure to the entire shower room.
From here you can see the boilers are providing pressure to the 3 radiators inside the dormitory on the left there. The hot water pipes run into the large walkway towards the staff room and canteen radiators. (Top left)
Here you see the single boiler providing hot water to the canteen and staff room radiators, if you look at the hot water pipes on the right of the shot, above and between the final two toilets on the right. You can see that the two side by side boilers reached considerably further than the single boiler, as there is actually 2, unused grey pipes where no water reaches.
murgh
level2
level2

Postby murgh » Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:59 am

Interesting find. If you like you can now also place a boiler facing any direction you want. I fixed the missing sprites and adjusted the temperature this thing creates. See here

Man I wish they implemented large hot pipes as well... What where they thinking? This whole hot water pipe stuff is ruining the gameplay :(
seesaw
level2
level2

Postby seesaw » Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:46 am

One more small detail is that the water boiler only has 2 positions... I think its time to start to include all 4 positions in ALL sprites.
murgh
level2
level2

Postby murgh » Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:06 pm

seesaw wrote:One more small detail is that the water boiler only has 2 positions... I think its time to start to include all 4 positions in ALL sprites.

Uhm, didn't you read the post above yours? :D But yeah, fixing the stuff in ALL sprites would be a good point for the devs. Where is the rest of the visitor table without a mod for it? Where is the secure visitation booth the size of the normal visitor table? How about the DOORS being fixed in all position without needing a big mod for it? And the list goes on.... :?
th3_awak3n1ng
level0

Postby th3_awak3n1ng » Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:30 pm

Hot water was rushed into the game with no thought. With a huge prison, I refuse to build what I probably would need is 50+ boilers everywhere. I will wait for a logical solution.
seesaw
level2
level2

Postby seesaw » Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:47 pm

I have been integrating the hot water system in my master prison v2* with integrated showers and I have thought three solutions, the pretty, the cheap and the intermediate.

- The intermediate, the water boiler at the back service corridor, where it should be. Dangerous because I have to set that big pipe highway in the middle... It was all small pipe up to 3 or 4 squares inside the block before hot water:
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.c ... F5A23E4C7/
- The cheap, put the water boiler right next to the entrance of the cell block instead of the back. Its cheap, it works... It just doesnt seems right to me to put such equipment in that area where tons of prisoners pass by.
- The pretty: put water boilers where are in the back but leave the small pipe setup. Then run an outside big pipe that will supply only the water boilers. This avoids having the big pipe crossing the cell block and creating an easy escape.
Im talking about this, but with a big pipe running outside:
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.c ... 8BA27967E/
I know it would be more secure running the pipes in the corridors and ending in each cell but its too much work.

I have to say that I DID NOT enjoy AT ALL laying those hot water pipes and also it was a mess with the two hot/cold water types. I wanted it separated but it the end I just laid one on top of the other.

*WOULD STILL HAVE THE V1 IF IT WASNT REMOVED IN A FORMAT!!! NEED STEAM CLOUD!!!
Kodasa
level1
level1

Postby Kodasa » Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:26 am

Laying one on top of the other was a good idea actually. The prison showers require both types (Found out from reading another thread) Prisoners will take cold showers and complain, but without the cold water to even out the temperature, they will not take hot showers.

4th solution. Build a room with 20+ Boilers all touching each other somewhere central or off in one corner, the combined pressure should pipe hot water all around the prison or close to it.

Return to “General”