Food for thought

General chit-chat and minor questions about just about anything

Moderator: NBJeff

deslona
level1
level1

Food for thought

Postby deslona » Sat Mar 19, 2016 12:12 am

Two articles on the BBC that discuss alternative methods of incarceration.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-35818312
The story of a criminal who spent most of his time in solitary (in Australia).

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-35813470
Norwegian prisons and how they go the reform route, with the new challenges they face.

Which prison would YOU rather be sent to? Is your prison like this? Or a money making machine?

Would a petty criminal deserve which kind? :?:
Dr_Brodsky
level0

Re: Food for thought

Postby Dr_Brodsky » Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:59 am

Depends what security level I'm running. I normally play with med sec, where I'm probably more on the Norwegian side. All prisoners have communal access to TVs etc., but there is about 5 hours of arbitrary lockup time every day. Even Extremely Volatile prisoners can attend programs, though anyone who misbehaves will be in solitary for days.

Max sec prisoners are entirely wild and have seemingly zero concept of consequences, so they are best countered pre-emptively rather than reactively. Permanent Solitary all round. Legendaries and other troublemakers get a specially designed cell block with a clear line of sight for the armed guards on freefire.

TLDR Med sec Norwegian, Max Sec Australian/American Supermax.
Oestvang
level0

Re: Food for thought

Postby Oestvang » Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:07 pm

Well, I am from Norway, and have a number of childhood friends who have served time. I'm not a criminal of any sorts, but i have som friends who have made bad choices.

The norwegian criminal system is based on reform, and have a relatively low re-offending rate. This mainly due to the lack of organized crime in our country until the 80's. We have a maximum sentence of 21 years, and no one can be convicted to serve more. In some special cases, regarding terrorism and crimes against humanity you can get locked up for 25 years. Even though this rules are in place, we can put people in custody for periods of 5 years stretching over the convicted sentence.

One example was a coulpe found guilty in a horrifying triple murder, they where let out on probation after 11 years, and are now working as respected members of the society, they have of course changed their names. The mass murderer from the terrorist attack on 22th of July will never get out of jail due to the custody-law.

I think that everyone wants to run a reform-based prison where everyone plays along just fine, and everyone is happy. The problem, especially in PA is that some prisoners are extremely violent (mental issues in real life) and should never have been put in jail, they should've been locked up in psych ward to get proper treatment. The important part of a reform-based prison system is that everyone deserves their humanity, and shall be treated as such no matter their crimes. This also applies to PA, and are really difficult to enforce.

Return to “General”