General chit-chat and minor questions about just about anything

Moderator: NBJeff

aidyn89
level1
level1

Lag spikes

Postby aidyn89 » Fri Nov 27, 2015 6:00 pm

Hi,

I've been playing prison architect for a while now, since the first few early access versions on steam, but this has been my first attempt at making a really huge prison, and try to get the 1000 prisoners achievement. I currently have over 600 capacity, and when (if) completed, it should be about 3x that. But the problem I have right now is that every few seconds, the game freeze for a few seconds. This happens even while I pause the game (either by going in the main menu, pausing the time, etc).

I have been looking at what could cause the problem, and it seems to be related to the CPU usage. Every time the game would freeze, I could see a spike in one of my CPU usage. Ram usage wasn't changing, and had a lot free.

I also noticed that those lag spikes seems to occur more frequently when a lot of work is queued up: shake down, building large structures, etc.

I am not too sure of where to start troubleshooting this issue, or if this is a known problem. So if any one has any idea, let me know.
Darkrious1
level1
level1

Re: Lag spikes

Postby Darkrious1 » Sun Nov 29, 2015 7:19 pm

PA is a very CPU hogging game that eats a lot of processing power due to its expansive nature and complexity of the simulation. Even the most powerful PCs will struggle once more then several hundred prisoners are reached, or the prison reaches a very large size. Not much you can do personally except making sure nothing else is running in the background that might be eating up cpu usage which might help a bit. The devs said they do plan to optimize the game which should help it run a bit more smoothly especially on mid to lower end machines. The issue of lag spikes and or time slowing to a crawl even on max speed is a persistent issue since the start of the alphas.
aidyn89
level1
level1

Re: Lag spikes

Postby aidyn89 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 2:36 am

Yeah, that's what I suspected too... And I didn't even fill 1/3 of what I had planned! Ho well, time to sell that 3 million prison and start a smaller, more manageable one.

Return to “General”