Hygiene Need goes up too quickly over night

General chit-chat and minor questions about just about anything

Moderator: NBJeff

frosty90
level0

Hygiene Need goes up too quickly over night

Postby frosty90 » Sun Oct 18, 2015 3:27 am

I have always had problems in large prisons with the hygiene need going critical during sleep time, so everyone riots when they wake up. I have tried scheduling shower just after wake up, or one hour after, but everyone kicks off as soon as they wake up because thei hygiene need is maximum. So I have done some experiments with shower at various times including before sleep, but after six hours sleep almost every single prisoner is back to max critical hygeiene in the morning. It seems to go up way way too fast over night. There are lots of posts on many forums from a long time ago about people having this trouble, so it seems like a real thing. Watching the 'needs' tab in the report menu, the hygiene need goes up to red critical from nearly zero over a 6 hour sleep period, apprently much much faster than every other need. Is this intentional or a bug?

I have seen it suggested somewhere that on large maps the clock is scaled, but ai movement is not, presumably so that they can walk a reasonable distance across a large map in time. But as a consequence of this their needs calculations are not scaled with the clock, so apprently go up faster (relative to the game clock). Is this true? If so surely that is an oversight that should be fixed as a bug?
arwan
level2
level2

Re: Hygiene Need goes up too quickly over night

Postby arwan » Sun Oct 18, 2015 4:06 am

open your save file and edit

Code: Select all

TimeWarpFactor       0.5000000 

to

Code: Select all

TimeWarpFactor       1.0000000 

its around line 10 in the file (right at the top)
frosty90
level0

Postby frosty90 » Sun Oct 18, 2015 4:34 am

ok but what does that do? change the clock scale? if so then that will just mean prisoners cannot walk from room to room in time (in a large map).

So are you implying it is a known issue?
frosty90
level0

Postby frosty90 » Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:41 am

Basically, I just did a simple experiment: I have put two shower slots, one at 7am and one at 12 midnight. And watched the needs tab throught a whole 24 hour period on a large map. The regime goes like this:

6am lockup (wake up)
7am Shower
8am to 11pm, eat work yard etc etc
12am sleep (to 6am)

after the morning shower slot by 8am, all prisoners are basically down to 0 hygiene need. 15 hours later at 11pm, nearly every one is upto medium (the needs tab shows solid yellow). Then after their 11pm shower every one is back to 0 for sleep.

This is where things are stupid: from 12am to 1am it does not increase. From 2 to 3 it goes up to medium (solid yellow). From 3am to 5:30am almost no increase, then at about 5:30 to 6am very very rapidly all prisoners go from medium (yellow) to critical (red).

in 6 hours of sleep their hygiene need goes from none to critical, yet in 15 hours of day time activity barely hits medium.

This is a problem because every morning without fail this will cause a riot unless they are all suppressed by armed guards (and it is definitely hygiene need that is the problem here)
delra
level0

Postby delra » Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:40 pm

I deal with this like this:

- 3x3 cells.
- Shower + Drain in every cell.
- Typically prisoners will sleep till 8 AM even if you have "Free Time" set between 7 and 8 AM.
- 7-8 AM in the regime I set them to LOCKUP.
- This wakes them up, but doesn't allow to leave cell, which makes them use items in their cell.
- First they use the toilet.
- Second they use the shower (2nd biggest need).
- 9 AM all clean they all go from their cells to the Canteen for a 2 hours long meal schedule.
- Canteen is huge and half of it is dedicated to meeting their other needs, has phones, weight benches and TVs.
- After the meal they are ready to work.

Profits:
- No attacks on dirty prisoners. No gang wars in the Yard or the Showers. No "huge crowd" wars there either.
- Yard, Showers and Common Room are all replaced by the extra space in the canteen that contains "their" items. Don't need them at all, or need them only just a little.
- No crowds/fights when going from Yard/Shower to the Canteen, showered prisoners enter Canteen from multiple directions (it's located in the middle between cell blocks). There's no single corridor all prisoners have to travel to reach there.
- Prisoners use extra time in the "Eat" schedule to serve their other needs, rather than standing around the canteen and trading weapons and drugs or fighting. Saves me an hour each day (two meals), which directly translates into license plate $$$.
- They'd sleep till 8 AM if I set free time, that's another hour saved. They'd walk to reach destinations for their other needs, another hour I estimate.
- I can schedule Work right after Eating as all prisoners are all nicely bunched up in the middle of my prison, so I save on walking times which also directly translates into moneys.
- I get extra grading points for "amount of time spent in lockup" even though I only use lockup just to wake up those bastards. People who don't use lockup at all in their regime mostly get this on prisoners that get into a lot of fights, but these are mostly beyond reform anyway.

Basically, if you want a 10-hour long workday and no fights, that's the way to go. :-)

Remember cell grading too, having cells 3x3 allows for some maneuver with grading, for example I build in blocks of 60 3x3 cells, where 12 cells are below average, 12 above average and 36 are average (quality 6).

Return to “General”