Couchmonster
level1
level1

Re: Alpha 34 Tunnelling

Postby Couchmonster » Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:49 am

Sorted (for my experience) from top as most contraband:

Visitation - counter with metal detector and dog at entrance
Workshop/Kitchen - counter with metal detector at entrance
Cleaning cupboard - counter with dog (brooms are new and hard to detect)
Office (Psychologist) - counter with metal detector/dog
Medical ward - counter with metal detector
Thrown contraband - counter with fencing to make a long way with one entrance around your prison and provide metal detector/dog there ( U shape around prison e.g.)

Many sources can be combined with shared hallways.
For example:
A building with a hallway dog/detector, leading to the Visitation/Cleaning cupboard etc.
Clever building reduces thrown contraband.

Tunnel digging is still possible without metal tools, but will take way longer (this strange wooden tool can do it).
RedTear
level2
level2

Postby RedTear » Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:06 pm

Couchmonster wrote:Sorted (for my experience) from top as most contraband:
[....]
Tunnel digging is still possible without metal tools, but will take way longer (this strange wooden tool can do it).

From my experience, if you where to completly ignore it, thrown contraband would really be the most.

Anyhow, i have a question regarding tunneling in general, do they need new tools eventualy? Do their tools break?

If so, how far do they actualy get with each tool?
Inge Jones
level2
level2

Postby Inge Jones » Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:04 pm

I think I disagree that having not long to go on a sentence doesn't stop real people trying to escape. Unless you know someone who was idiotic enough to increase his own sentence by trying it in his last 6 months inside?
ancar
level0

Postby ancar » Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:46 am

If you dont like tunnels you can use lockdown instead of sleep regime. This removes tunneling all together!
Inge Jones
level2
level2

Postby Inge Jones » Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:28 pm

ancar wrote:If you dont like tunnels you can use lockdown instead of sleep regime. This removes tunneling all together!

That's weird! thanks for the tip
Neddleson
level1
level1

Postby Neddleson » Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:04 pm

Lockdown, Shakedown, Wet dreams of Foxy Brown.
jenjenola
level1
level1

Postby jenjenola » Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:27 pm

Yes, thank goodness for intelligence. I deployed guards in every room during work hours and put metal detectors in every room where prisoners can steal metal contraband. Walled off the prison and added metal detectors in hallways, canteens, and cellblocks, common rooms - everywhere. The next prison I make I will try the strategic hallways, thats a great idea I never tried - I think because my prison is really huge now and I tried to make it easy to get around to minimize travel time - thats something I still struggle with.
I got the weapon/tool contraband down a lot and honestly I don't really care about the drugs/luxuries/booze contraband that much - prisoners have to have some fun too. Now the tunnelling is almost non-existent but I still have difficulty detecting the tunnels though.
Kizu
level0

Postby Kizu » Sun Jul 12, 2015 2:10 pm

I have 362 cells and 292 prisoners at the moment. I manually searched every toilet just now (there should be shortcut key for search because my wrist is hurting so bad now) Anyhow i found 9 tunnels and 3 of them were 2 squares long and rest were just 1 long. ( How disappointing.. But i think thats way more than in previous alpha )

I remember from very early aplha how satisfying it was to find short and especially long tunnels :D The sound efect and everything when you discovered one bit by bit. (Did it automatically zoom in back then? Or maybe my prisons used to be super small back then i dont know) Now i just see the "tunneling warning" picture on my screen all the time and its not exciting at all anymore. 97% of them are just false positive warnings from dog patrol. So usually i just get mad that i have to zoom out for few seconds to get rid of the stupid warning. Also "remove tunnels" tool used to be fun to use before. Now i just drag is agross the whole prison in case there was actual tunnels somewhere (since i dont actually check the annoying warnings)

And this is why i would love to get that tool that the developers use in their videos. So i could actually see them tunneling (because im weirdo and i find it very fascinating).Some looong awesome tunnels :D Now i just discover them way too early even if i just use shakedown every few days.But of course i dont want them to escape ( ok ok sometimes its fun to let them all escape )

I guess my prisoners are just way too happy. There hasnt been any accidental escapes for ages in my prisons
isit
level1
level1

Postby isit » Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:29 pm

jenjenola wrote:Ok so I think I fixed my tunnelling issues. I increased the amount of free time the prisoners get and improved the environment and privacy needs. Then I added dog patrols in every cell block during the nighttime. I have far fewer prisoners attempting to tunnel and when they do my dog patrols discover the tunnel almost immediately. I also do a shakedown every couple of days and always find a staggering amount of contraband. I don't know how to limit the contraband - I have guards deployed in almost every room and metal detectors everywhere. I'm actually impressed by my prisoners' ability to sneak away with it.

Metal detectors only detect metallic contraband and even then do false negatives and positives. One way to see just how easy it is is have a workman go through your entire prison carrying a metal detector through metal detectors.
Kruniac
level0

Postby Kruniac » Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:28 am

Pogmothoin wrote:
Inge Jones wrote:Pogmothoin, I am happy to accept that logic for my long-term medium and max sec prisoners, but my low-sec *would* be getting out soon if they simply enjoyed the huge amount of regime freedom and trust I give them and tunnelled LESS often than the ones who have a reason to escape! Until the game gets the tunnelling tuning right, or introduces some logic to the activity, I'd like to be able to turn it off.

There isn't actually anything wrong with it that requires it to be turned off. Yes it's not easy to find a tunnel sometimes, but that has been greatly improved in this alpha (34) a long with the fact that it takes longer for multiple prisoners digging the same tunnel due to diminishing returns being added.

I have 400 min sec cells in my prison, I shake their cells down once a week, at most I find about 2 tools on that shake down, and occasionally there is one tunnel.

It's not true that min sec are more likely to tunnel. They are less aggressive than max/normal, and a normal guy will start fighting when upset, min sec doesn't really get that option so it festers until they get the chance to start digging. Like I say, you can practically stop them from being able to do it in the first place. Min sec's only way of acting out are to steal and dig, Min sec don't need guards to watch them, but that doesn't mean you should allow them to walk out of the canteen/workshops with tools.

As for sentence length, the fact that prisoners may be getting out in 6 months makes no difference, it certainly doesn't stop min sec prisoners in the real world from escaping so why should it in the game.

He finds it annoying and wants the option of disabling it. That's reason enough.

After having a quick scan of the modding section, it seems there are limited modding capabilities in the game's current state. This should be fixed. Disabling something like tunneling (Or the various lose conditions, etc) should be simple and intuitive.

Return to “General”