Work vs. Programs vs. Free Time

General chit-chat and minor questions about just about anything

Moderator: NBJeff

hooty
level0

Work vs. Programs vs. Free Time

Postby hooty » Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:41 pm

I've recently starting playing and have a lot to get my head around. I'm starting to understand that program slots are actually "work" in the regime. So I can now schedule classes of whatever block times I want.

But right now I see that there is somebody who is out cleaning rather then sitting in the class (shown as a black square in the program's seat slots. So it seems that "work" is actually "work OR program."

Here are my questions:

1) Why would an inmate be doing a job instead of going to the program where there are enough seats?
2) Does work also mean "free time" if there are inmates who don't have a job and who aren't taking a program during the work slot?
AndyO1
level1
level1

Re: Work vs. Programs vs. Free Time

Postby AndyO1 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:53 pm

In the program list, there are 3 tabs on each one. 'Interested', 'completed' and 'Passed'. There will be numbers on each telling you how many prisoners are interested, and have completed or passed the program. If nobody is interested, noone will do the program and they will work instead.
hooty
level0

Postby hooty » Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:57 pm

The thing is that I mouse over somebody who should be there, and they are working instead. This page says that black is those "who are somewhere else." http://prison-architect.wikia.com/wiki/Reform_Programs

Is there a precedence order when it comes to working your job vs. taking a program? Will they take work over the program every time? I want them in the program if it is available since they coset about $100 and hour and I don't want empty seats.

Is there something I can do?

Adenauer
level1
level1

Postby Adenauer » Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:47 am

Try reducing the number of assigned prisoners for whichever job that you don't want too many prisoners to waste their time doing, like laundry where a lot of the prisoners just seem to be loitering about, whilst only one or two prisoner(s) is/are actually doing something.
hooty
level0

Postby hooty » Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:18 pm

That's fine but I just want to know if the logic stipulates preference when an inmate is either a worker or in a program. I don't want a prisoner working when they are supposed to be doing a program.

1) His work slot could be filled by another inmate.
2) Or if he has a cleaning job (non pre-requisite based job) then don't put him in the program because he will never make it, right?

The fact that "work" is actually "work or go to program" is throwing me off. My hands are tied as far as whether work or program takes precedence. The only way I can possibly make him go to the program is either turn off all cleaning positions or just whittle down cleaning positions until I finally dump him off but that doesn't guarantee the problem doesn't repeat itself tomorrow.

Does anybody have this problem?
maxbrad124
level1
level1

Postby maxbrad124 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:33 am

Im sure the attendance system is the reason behind this - sometimes prisoners want to ditch class so they get roped into working instead.

I pretty sure the system doesn't work on a 'work over program' basis - it's if the prisoner can be bothered going, and this adds more of a human element to the game.
Pogmothoin
level2
level2

Postby Pogmothoin » Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:27 pm

Max pretty much nailed it on the head, that prisoner may have been doing something else when class started and has been roped into working elsewhere.

Prisoners show interest in a program, they get alotted a seat and it's up to them if they go.

A lot of prisoners like to goof off, some may have a visitor coming, they may have just been in solitary or lockdown, or have another need that is critical and they chose to prioritise that over going to class. There are a lot of reasons why a prisoner might not be at a class they a listed as attending. Thankfully most of the time they do try to attend, although most prisoners seem to have a preferred job, they like to do that over anything else work related, if a slot is there in a job they like, they might not attend class.

Getting prisoners through a program successfully isn't easy, it relies on the on your prison running efficiently so they waste little time when getting from A >B, they are able to fill needs quickly, and they don't get into trouble, fights/stealing etc. If your prisoners are happy and have half brain, then they are more likely to succeed. Regardless of how much someone attends a class they still have a % chance of passing it. I schedule my most of my programs for when I know prisoners will be happiest, early in the morning just after a shower and a little freetime, or after they just have eaten.
WDMeaun
level1
level1

Postby WDMeaun » Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:15 pm

In my experience they actually prefer a program over work.
In case of no work and no programs, they'll have free time. (this latter is an assumption, which I feel pretty confident)

The situation of someone not attending.. can be caused by multiple things.. (atleast I think, never actually double checked it).
Im quessing that if they miss the start / first hour, they'll skip the program.

Maybe the prisoner had a punishment during the start, had a parole meeting.. or something like that.
Geez3r
level0

Postby Geez3r » Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:45 pm

I have a question related to this topic. If a prisoner has needs to fill, will he fulfill those needs in lieu of working or attending a program? In other words, which takes priority, needs or work/programs?
Pogmothoin
level2
level2

Postby Pogmothoin » Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:15 am

Geez3r wrote:I have a question related to this topic. If a prisoner has needs to fill, will he fulfill those needs in lieu of working or attending a program? In other words, which takes priority, needs or work/programs?

If a need is critical (capitalised) before they start work or attend a program, they will try do that first, if a need becomes critical during class/work they tend to stay. In general priority is given in the present, if they aren't doing anything then needs get fulfilled, if they are then needs take a back seat.

But ultimately it comes down to your regime and rooms, it's best if they can fulfil nearly every need in each of the major areas Canteen/Yard/Cells. If they don't need to eat in the canteen, at least let them be able to use a toilet/shower, and squeeze in some exercise/recreation/prayer/family while they are stuck there for 2+ hours. Freetime should be where they can focus on getting down those needs they just haven't been able to get around to yet, mainly literacy or shopping
Inge Jones
level2
level2

Postby Inge Jones » Sat Jul 04, 2015 5:31 pm

With the new shop system, there is more incentive for prisoners to work than before, so as to get money. This was stated in the update video.

Return to “General”