Possible Mail Bug? - Mail Satchels

General chit-chat and minor questions about just about anything

Moderator: NBJeff

JuggernautStomp
level0

Possible Mail Bug? - Mail Satchels

Postby JuggernautStomp » Fri May 29, 2015 8:44 am

Hello,

Not sure if this is the correct place to properly report a bug, I apologize if it is. Essentially the mail satchels come in but with no letters in them - those empty satchels are placed in the mail room but never disposed of. Once that room completely filled with empty satchels the delivery trucks would still deliver empty mail satchels. Thus the delivery section completely filled up. Even tried removing the mail room but empty satchels were still being delivered. Is anyone else having this same issue?
gfv74
level0

Re: Possible Mail Bug? - Mail Satchels

Postby gfv74 » Fri May 29, 2015 12:17 pm

I'm having this issue too. My mail room and deliveries area are both full of empty mail satchels.
Threehorns
level3
level3

Postby Threehorns » Fri May 29, 2015 3:33 pm

the mail room works fine for me ... could you upload your save file?
or maybe check a couple quick things one might overlook often.
- work assignment
- security clearance (staff, max sec etc)
- security clearance zone blockades (hallways etc)

it might be anything though, as its new, it might require prisoners to have passed foundation education or other things ....
hence a save file for ease.
Daedalus18
level0

Postby Daedalus18 » Fri May 29, 2015 6:58 pm

I have the same issue. I have inbound truck with mail satchels and mail but the satchels use all the space of my mail room and deliveries. It creates a huge backlog of trucks and i have to extend (temporary) the delivery zones in order to reduce the number of trucks.
Snitcher
level0

Postby Snitcher » Fri May 29, 2015 8:39 pm

I have exactly the same issue, trucks with only one EMPTY stachel arrive almost every 5 minutes (ingame time). There're prisoners working in the mail room, but it's simply too much. The game is unplayable now. :?
MediumMech
level0

Postby MediumMech » Fri May 29, 2015 9:55 pm

Ah... Yeah I seem to be running into this as well. Started out with a small mail room that could support 3 inmate-workers. Noticed satchels building up so I build a second one that could house 18 inmate-workers. I've noticed that it seems to try and put one empty satchel for every worker in the mail room, but it never stops delivering them. My delivery area is the entire right side of the road and they just keep delivering more until it fills up, all satchels empty and marked TODO: Deliver to mail room (or something along those lines). It would make sense that it's trying to give every worker one satchel, but it just doesn't seem to stop delivering them even when there's one satchel per worker in the mail room, and so the extras just stay in the delivery zone. Needless to say it caused some issues with delivery to the point where most of the road is just filled up with delivery trucks (though I do have a lot of exports, so some of it's for that as well) and a few hearses that seems to circle around without doing anything (more than likely not as a result of the mail room). Unfortunately this odd vehicle behavior has also made it so that I can't seem to get any new inmates XD I never realized how many inmates I end up paroling/releasing until I went from 192 inmates to 50-some in such a short time...

*Edit* Oh, though I feel that I should mention that this is indeed the wrong section. The sticky at the top of the forum says that bug reports should go in the developer subforum
DrOwnz
level0

Postby DrOwnz » Sat May 30, 2015 1:21 pm

I ahve the same Issue

but besides the massive amount of mail satchels ariving (in a planned prison, so I have no workers to work the mail....)

It did override my intake somehow... I started intake, with 200 low/med, none arrived and the intake pool went down to 15 and 16 (low/med)

save is on steam workshop:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... 451930985l
Threehorns
level3
level3

Postby Threehorns » Sat May 30, 2015 3:34 pm

you guys could make a list and see what causes it

example: (from DrOwnz shared steam image)
- zero prisoners
- multiple holding cells
- lots of cells

it might be that a divide by zero bug has been resolved into infinity.
In other words, having 1 prisoner might just solve this problem.

That is, if the rest all have created prisons without the prisoner's micro management work.
DrOwnz
level0

Postby DrOwnz » Sun May 31, 2015 1:42 am

y it had 0 prisoners

but what makes it even more dramatic is that somehow the intake got overridden... 200 prisoners not coming....
MediumMech
level0

Postby MediumMech » Sun May 31, 2015 8:48 pm

In regards to what Threehorns said, it seems to be more of a factor for large prisons on my end. I typically don't use holding cells (and wasn't when it was happening) so it wouldn't seem to be their fault.

I made a test map and am working on building it up until it happens again. So far it seems to work right with a small amount of prisoners. I unlocked the prison labor program before taking in any prisoners (unlimited funds mode) and it seemed to not build up (Though the satchels seems to build up slowly, it took a while for it to even put the second satchel in the room). After adding some prisoners it stopped at 3 satchels for the room with 2 prisoners working in it. I then added a second mail room wondering if maybe that would cause issues, but once again everything seems to be working fine (though it's once again building up the needed amount of empty satchels very slowly).

Unfortunately it could be a mix of bugs that caused the issue. I had considered that maybe the fact that I had started the map before the update was around was the issue, but I can't really test that now. Another issue I noted that was happening around the same time was delivery trucks and hearses acting oddly. I had probably around 180-190 prisoners in the original prison at the time and the size and complexity of my prison seemed to be causing issues with delivery/pickup in general. Delivery/Pickup trucks were coming around for my exports but were beginning to build up. They'd stay for 1 stack or so of exports, then leave, regardless if there were more to pick up, causing a constant supply of around 4-5 delivery truck in addition to the two hearses that would circle around not picking up any dead bodies (despite the presence of accessible morgues). Additionally there was the issue of my prison no longer taking in prisoners (queue would say that x amount of prisoners were coming, but at the end of the time limit no prisoners would show up), though that seemed to happen after the mail satchel buildup. So in the end I'm not sure which caused which. Either side could have messed up the other side of the issue.
PantsFreeZone
level1
level1

Postby PantsFreeZone » Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:00 pm

The workaround to this is to swap MailSatchel with Garbage in your save file.

It has kept my prison chugging along. You usually hit the issue around day 50 if you have about 350 prisoners.
darkhymn
level0

Postby darkhymn » Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:26 pm

Yeah, depending on how much space you're willing to waste on a mail room, you'll need a deliveries "room" half the size of your prison by the third week. I wish I'd noticed how bad it was before the food deliveries stopped coming and two entirely preventable murders happened. The best solution is to just not have a mail room. Both phones and visitations provide for the same need already.
The prison I noticed it on had 96 prisoners. The mailroom seemed to be wroking correctly, though I'd noticed mail bags building up in it, then I noticed that my deliveries were full of nothing but mail satchels and I could not receive food. This caused my prisoners to miss consecutive meals and ended in a handful of medium security inmates gang-murdering a third right in front of an armed guard. Two bodies and a handful of smaller fights later I sorted out the issue enough to salvage the prison just shy of a full-on riot, but I'm still going to have to use a savegame editor to remove all of the satchels and then just remove the mail room entirely to make the game playable.
MediumMech wrote:*Edit* Oh, though I feel that I should mention that this is indeed the wrong section. The sticky at the top of the forum says that bug reports should go in the developer subforum

Which itself requires a second registration, only to then just divert you to the mantis tracker, which requires a third registration, which may or may not send a confirmation e-mail in a timely fashion - mine took almost two hours - by which point you've decided that since the bug you were there to report has been in-game for no less than 30 months and (at least) 21 versions of the alpha, it's not even worth reporting.
MMZ>Torak
level2
level2

Postby MMZ>Torak » Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:47 pm

DrOwnz wrote:y it had 0 prisoners

but what makes it even more dramatic is that somehow the intake got overridden... 200 prisoners not coming....

Intake probably got overridden due to the back log of trucks waiting to unload all their supplies into the one free space (if you are lucky) in Deliveries that did not have an empty mail satchel in it.
cacafuti
level0

Postby cacafuti » Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:22 pm

I'm having the same issue with the satchels. It's been already a week since the update (being this post, reporting it, dated 05-29). When is going to be patched?

darkhymn wrote:
MediumMech wrote:*Edit* Oh, though I feel that I should mention that this is indeed the wrong section. The sticky at the top of the forum says that bug reports should go in the developer subforum
Which itself requires a second registration, only to then just divert you to the mantis tracker, which requires a third registration, which may or may not send a confirmation e-mail in a timely fashion - mine took almost two hours - by which point you've decided that since the bug you were there to report has been in-game for no less than 30 months and (at least) 21 versions of the alpha, it's not even worth reporting.

That's just shameful. Even more for an Alpha, which (I would dare to say) needs the feedback.
RJenkos
level2
level2

Postby RJenkos » Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:46 pm

I have the same issue. I have two mail rooms and both are nearly full of satchels.

Return to “General”