[Challenge] Build an open city-like prison!

General chit-chat and minor questions about just about anything

Moderator: NBJeff

sonic_m
level1
level1

[Challenge] Build an open city-like prison!

Postby sonic_m » Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:32 pm

Hey guys,

looking through the workshop I noticed, that most prisons are quite 'uncreative' and blocky with regular 2x3 cells. If it works, this is perfectly fine, but with this challenge I want you to design something that works and is pleasing to the eye.

I tend to get lost in details, once something really interests me, so I did some research on the psychological consequences of imprisonment and found a bunch of publications online. How can one, as an architect, try to avoid the psychological pressure of the ubiquitious feeling of being incarcerated? My thoughts on that, will be the theme of the challenge: Build an open city-like prison!
Why? Because I think the more normal the surroundings are, the less pressure is on the prisoners.
Please make it at least 150 prisoners of any security level (e.g. 100 Min-Sec + 30 Med-Sec + 20 PC) with fog of war activated. Also, I tend to overdo it with remote control, so I would like to see some of your ideas.

If you have any special ideas, please note in your post. I tend to overlook these in the hustle and bustle of all the prisoners.

Concerning grading, I thought of a point/percentage system:

Layout and Design (20 points):
  • How does it look?
  • Do you try to avoid repeating patterns?
  • Does it actually look like a city/village?
  • Do you try to reduce travel distance between different places?
Security (20 points):
  • Is the perimeter secure? (metal detectors, dog patrols, appropriate doors...)
  • Is the deployment appropriate?
  • Does the deployment change throughout the day in order to reduce the amount of guards needed?
Prisoners (10 points):
  • Is there a good amount of prisoners?
  • If seperated, how well does your seperation work?
Satisfaction of Needs (10 points):
  • Are all the needs met? If not, is there a good reason not to fulfill them?
Reform (10 points):
  • Do you offer a broad variety of reform programs?
  • Are there enough reform program places for your prisoners?
Remote Control (10 points):
  • Does it work?
  • Is there anything complex (automatic regime-dependant set-ups, air-locks, one-way doors...)?
Profitability (10 points):
  • Is it profitable?
  • Do you generate additional income?
  • Did you try to keep the number of guards at a minimum?
Bonus (up to 10 points):
  • Anything especially remarkable

How does the grading system work?
If you build a prison that fulfills all the given requirements except for the bonus part, the maximum one can reach is 90/100 points.
Why? I tend to follow the rule, that one can achieve 90% of a perfect result with just 10% of work effort. The last 10% of a perfect result is, what takes 90% of your work.
Also our academic grading system works that way: You get a B if you fulfill the given requirements and you get an A if you fulfill them in an especially remarkable manner.

I am so curious, what you guys will come up with and I look forward to seeing all your prisons. Good luck!
sonic_m
level1
level1

Re: [Challenge] Build an open city-like prison!

Postby sonic_m » Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:15 pm

This would be my last approach to this theme, far from perfect but still something:
Person012345
level2
level2

Postby Person012345 » Sun Apr 05, 2015 4:41 am

I was in the process of building this until I was made aware that canteens may not work with a design like this. We'll have to see:

Obviously it isn't built yet, but I plan to make it pretty and bigger. And the "houses" are all a standardized design. I have totally unnecessary things for flavour, such as the staff toilets at the top.

Edit: Just noticed I need to fix the prisoner intake for some reason. >.>
Threehorns
level3
level3

Postby Threehorns » Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:05 am

sonic_m wrote:This would be my last approach to this theme, far from perfect but still something:

you should name it "singles city with babysitters"
sonic_m
level1
level1

Postby sonic_m » Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:17 am

Threehorns wrote:you should name it "singles city with babysitters"

Yup, as mentioned, far from perfect, the guard-prisoner ratio is really crappy. :lol:

Person012345 wrote: I have totally unnecessary things for flavour, such as the staff toilets at the top.

That's the kind of thing I really enjoy seeing. :D
KirinFrost
level1
level1

Postby KirinFrost » Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:29 am

Reminds me of norwegian prisons.

But i am a brutal warden. i always model my prisons after russian prisons but it would be nice to see how this goes.

Return to “General”