General chit-chat and minor questions about just about anything

Moderator: NBJeff

xlr8films
level2
level2

Doors, Servos, and the Door Switch

Postby xlr8films » Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:33 pm

Hi all,

I've been playing for about a year and a half, and just recently returned to the game after an extended break that began around the holidays. I sold off my old prison and started a new one in a "block style" that's working out pretty good. It's already valued at 3 million after 50 days.

I decided to start playing with the door switch(es) to "gate" prisoners and control the flow of the population. Before (and still) I would just manually lock the doors myself.

So my question: I have a series of doors chained to a switch that open/close at the times I have set... that part is working fine. But the doors aren't locking when closed and that is what I desire to happen. So that the guards cant manually override the closed doors with their keyrings. I have tried setting the doors to locked with the servos on "open when triggered" (or whatever the verbage is on the servo note) and a few other "logical" ideas -- including playing with the logic switch. I can't seem to achieve it.

Am I missing something or is this a feature that just isn't implemented yet?

Thanks,
X
TechnoUser
level1
level1

Re: Doors, Servos, and the Door Switch

Postby TechnoUser » Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:55 pm

The Servo has to be linked to the door switch and the door switch has to be linked to the Servo in a cycle and the servo has to be linked to the door. I think that is right. qq
xlr8films
level2
level2

Postby xlr8films » Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:58 pm

Yeah I know. Like I said, it DOES work... the doors open and close in the times I have scheduled. What I want is for them to LOCK when closed so the guards can't manually override the closed status with their keys.

Because, see, if an inmate knows that a path to a room (that I'm trying to gate him away from through this method) is optional through a closed door, he and his buddies will just stack up at the door waiting on a guard to come unlock it. That defeats the entire purpose of what I am trying to do. Conversely, if the AI knows that door is locked (with the red stop sign on it) then they will re-path around it.

Does that make sense? I thought maybe the Logic Switch might be the answer to my problem but it would still require me to rt click it to change state. I don't want to do that... I want the "gating" of my prison to be automatic.
TechnoUser
level1
level1

Postby TechnoUser » Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:18 pm

I don't think that's possible, I think it can only be done manually (Manually meaning only you can do it).

Sorry... qq
xlr8films
level2
level2

Postby xlr8films » Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:20 am

Yeah I've been at this for two days off and on and I'm just not seeing a way. I got it to work (sort of) with a logic switch by having the door servos chained to each other and having the logic switch go from 'NOT' to 'OR'... but then I fumbled the whole thing by not paying attention to the time as I was working on another part of the prison.

They have these sorts of things in American max-slam prisons, automated doors that require a whole team to unlock in a total failure mode. I know this because a good friend of mine works at a prison in Austin, TX.

So hopefully it will be added later. I'm not sure how to add suggestions to Mantis, but surely I can't be the only person playing who's thrown the idea out there...

Thanks anyways,
X
Monxas
level0

Postby Monxas » Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:19 am

Mmmm, How about using only remote doors? Those are supposed to be opened only remotely. That way guards won't be able to open them with their keys, right?
Monxas
level0

Postby Monxas » Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:19 am

Mmmm, How about using only remote doors? Those are supposed to be opened only remotely. That way guards won't be able to open them with their keys, right?
xlr8films
level2
level2

Postby xlr8films » Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:36 pm

I don't know about those, haven't tried with them yet. Regardless, since I posted this, I rebuilt a large area I had reserved for my gating into other stuff. What I wanted isn't 100% possible yet.
moosegun
level1
level1

Postby moosegun » Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:06 am

I think he is correct, Remote Doors only open remotely not manually.
Parker911
level0

Postby Parker911 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:21 pm

I feel for ya xlr8. I am also trying to do a similar thing, what I want is to block access to the canteen or yard unless its eat or yard time. The problem with just remote doors is that you have same issue of guards opening them for prisoners if connected to a door control system. If just connected to a timer the door stays closed yes, but the guards and prisoners will wait indefinitely for it to open.

Whats needed is the ability to add rooms to the deployment schedule

Return to “General”