General chit-chat and minor questions about just about anything

Moderator: NBJeff

sim88
level2
level2

water and electricity

Postby sim88 » Sat Feb 07, 2015 2:46 am

I have a 'small' prison.

My electricity is running low and I don't have room to add more capacitors..
1)I tried adding another generator but it seems it doesn't allow me to turn them both on at the same time. So I'm ending having to divide my prison in half and make one generator power one half and the other generator the other half ?

Same for the water, I spots where the flow isn't enough, even with the large pipes running directly to the affected shower heads, soI'm having to the same ie divide the prison in half and get another water pump ...

Is this the correct approach or am I missing something here ??
ElSalvaje
level1
level1

Re: water and electricity

Postby ElSalvaje » Sat Feb 07, 2015 3:39 am

Yeah, you've got it! :wink:

I just had to install my 13th generator for my prison. :D It makes the utilities screen look awesome. Every power grid has its own shade of green. Very nice :mrgreen:

A second water pump on a small map should not be necessary. I don't think there are any limits on waterflow of large pipes. If you use large pipes directly from waterpump to areas further across the map and only use small pipes to connect all objects to the large pipes it should work fine. I think you need to take another look at your pipes.
blipadouzi
level4
level4

Postby blipadouzi » Sat Feb 07, 2015 3:56 am

Cables from different generators cannot be connected. Each generator and its network needs to be completely separate.

As for the water pump, you only need 1. I started with a large map and bought the south and west expansions... so I have a very huge map. I only have 1 water pump for the entire prison and it is not centralized.

Download my 700+ prison on Steam to take a look at the Utilities. You'll understand what I mean about the electricity and how all the utilities work.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =319852404
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sat Feb 07, 2015 7:33 pm

blipadouzi wrote:As for the water pump, you only need 1.

While true for most use cases, allow me to be slightly pedantic for a moment. There *is* a limit to how far a single pump can push water, even through large pipes. I believe that the limit is something on the order of 650 squares. It is possible to create a map so large that a single pump wouldn't work. That said, the slow path-finding would kill the game long before that point. ;)

xander
jamtarts
level1
level1

Postby jamtarts » Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:17 pm

Felt this was the most pertinent place to post something because it annoys me when someone hasn't read a forum and makes a new topic.

I came to the forum after experiencing this bug. I am going to call it a bug, because, as far as I know, magic is used in real life so that more than one generator can be hooked into the same circuit, so that one generator is not turning the other into a motor. This is used in the national grid.

This question is two parts:

1: I want to hook multiple generators together.
2: I imagine, whilst some prisons do have their own power stations, most prisons use mains electricity and their generators are diesel engines that provide an emergency backup in case of blackouts on the national grid. I'd like it so that on the right side you have pylons and a substation that you build for power. Make generators an unlockable through research

I don't want to talk about water yet because I haven't seen anyone crawling through large pipes but I do wonder if there will be seperate lines for hot, cold, and sewage lines.

Edit: The game is still in alpha? I thought, considering how many features there are this was beta, or released. I've never seen a prison with a forestry before!

Return to “General”