I could use some help pretty please.

General chit-chat and minor questions about just about anything

Moderator: NBJeff

Muppethero
level1
level1

I could use some help pretty please.

Postby Muppethero » Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:14 am

I just started playing again, after leaving around Alpha 15 or so. I have watched all the videos and I have a few issues.
I have mostly med sec prisoners and they seem to attack and get into fights A LOT! I am taking care of all their needs. I have guards around in rooms. I have patrols. Not sure what i am doing wrong.
I just started using dogs on patrols and such. I see little dog icons poping up in cells but then they are gone. No search is done. But when i do a shakedown I find lots of contraband.
My prison fills with so much contraband every day No idea how. I have metal detectors in all the obvious spots.
I have also noticed some prisoners have changed from Med to High security... With out me accepting any. Is that normal?
I have read all the guides. I could really use some pointers on what I may be doing wrong.
BigJacko
level0

Re: I could use some help pretty please.

Postby BigJacko » Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:25 pm

Hi, let's see if I can answer some of these. I'm new here myself but have racked up many hours since the latest Alpha! This game is brilliant and addictive!

Med Sec prisoners getting into fights. You say you've solved their needs, but evidently you haven't. Something will be amiss somewhere - look closely at the 'hover-over' popups for items with lots of +++ symbols in grey (or red, I think). That might give you a clue about an unfulfilled need. Also look at the speech-bubble icons from the prisoners - they will signal the things they're unhappy about, and if the bubbles turn into spikey ones, they're getting angry.

There is also the possibility that the fighting is just the result of the other prisoners discovering an ex-policeman or a snitch in their ranks. They will kill these, once they find them - sometimes in plain sight of guards! You need to check using the Intelligence screen (subsection - Informants) - which you can only unlock once you've unlocked the Chief of Security. You can put the snitches and ex-coppers into a Protective Custody regime, but it's a lot of extra work segregating them from the other prisoners. I confess I don't always manage it (or even bother) - my ranking no doubt suffers though, from these unfortunate deaths!

Contraband - again, use the Intelligence screen (when you've unlocked it) on the 24-hour mode. This will show you all discovered contraband and where it came from, and how it has moved around your prison. Can be very informative, and give you clues on where you need to be creating pinch-points and putting metal detectors. Using confidential informants can also speed up the process of discovery (but be careful of leaving a CI 'active' for too long - they will raise suspicions, and be regarded as a snitch themselves (you'll see a huge red 'target' on them in the Intelligence/Informants screen) - and then of course they'll need protective custody!

The dogs will not find everything. They'll find some, but not all. The icons you see that pop up when they pass prisoners is just them 'having a sniff' - if they detect something, the prisoner will be handcuffed and marked with the search need in their pop-up - eventually another guard will come and find the item, and then (according to the Policy you've set) bang them up, give them solitary, etc. You'll then be able to trace that contraband item's route in and around via the above 24hr screen in Intelligence.

Metal detectors - don't forget visitors can smuggle in, the new prisoners arriving can smuggle in, and people can even throw things over the prison wall from outside! It's not just kitchens, infirmary and workshops that are the source! Again, the intelligence screen will show you all risk areas - even staff offices can provide lighters, cigarettes, etc. The place is a ticking timebomb! LOL

The reason some of your prisoners change 'rank' to High Security is because they'd been very naughty! The prisoner who beats someone to death for being a snitch, for example? He will instantly turn red and become a high-sec, even if he came in as an apparently mild-mannered med-sec. That's what all the reputation stuff is about - at the beginning of a new prisoner's term, you don't know what they're really like... and may find out soon enough! Likewise, if a prisoner attacks staff or other prisoners (without killing them) they go on High-Sec, I think. It may also happen if they cause damage, or try to escape and get caught - not sure about that to be honest. It may even be a gradual thing. But you have no choice over it - the really bad boys end up being High-Sec, so you need to prepare for that, if you want to segregate them. Using the Regime can help at first - have the showers and breakfast routines split, so that the Med Secs go first and the High Secs go later. Stagger everything, until you've got enough cash to build separate cellblocks, canteens, showers, yards, and so on.

My only regret at the moment is that it's not possible to have 'Lockdown/Bangup/Shakedown' crisis buttons that are 'security-rank related' (i.e to be able to have a bangup or a shakedown in JUST the High-Sec prisoner or cellblocks, if you've made one. Similarly, it would be more useful if some of the Deployment shaders allowed 'all prisoners BELOW X rank' rather than simply 'prisoners of X rank only' - because this would then mean that you could mark common-rooms etc as available for min-sec and med-sec (and maybe even protected-custody using the time-share regime arrangement), but made it expressly off-limits to high-sec and max-sec. I'm sure this will all come out in the wash, though, eventually.

Anyway, hope that answers some of your questions! Have fun.
Drakexz
level2
level2

Postby Drakexz » Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:01 pm

Please provide a savegame, in my opinion, its too much to write everything.

I / we could play your savegame and give it back to you with some modifications.
NBJeff
level1
level1

Postby NBJeff » Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:48 pm

Muppethero wrote:I just started playing again, after leaving around Alpha 15 or so. I have watched all the videos and I have a few issues.
I have mostly med sec prisoners and they seem to attack and get into fights A LOT! I am taking care of all their needs. I have guards around in rooms. I have patrols. Not sure what i am doing wrong.
I just started using dogs on patrols and such. I see little dog icons poping up in cells but then they are gone. No search is done. But when i do a shakedown I find lots of contraband.
My prison fills with so much contraband every day No idea how. I have metal detectors in all the obvious spots.
I have also noticed some prisoners have changed from Med to High security... With out me accepting any. Is that normal?
I have read all the guides. I could really use some pointers on what I may be doing wrong.

Without some screen shots or a savegame there is very little we can help with other than speculation however;
"I have guards around in rooms" sometimes this can lead to the prisoners feeling too repressed if there is always a guard in their face and they'll snap/lash out. (same with your patrols and dog patrols". If your dogs are sniffing around then the "dog icons" will pop up but if they're not finding anything they'll just keep moving on...
If you do too many shakedowns then, once again, the prisoners will lash out because of their frustration.
Metal detectors won't do too much unless there is a guard nearby to intercept whom ever is smuggling stuff in.

I'm sorry if all this seemed to be a disorganized paragraph.
A few quick notes: visitation rooms are brutal for contraband! So sometimes its best to put a dog in those rooms. Same goes for the infirmary where the inmates will steal a whole lot of narcotics!!!
Further more, in a lot of my prisons, things are mostly smuggled in by being thrown over the walls of my prison and later picked up by prisoners...

Feel free to PM me if you need anything else
Gaolulz
level0

Postby Gaolulz » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:33 am

Is it happening in the morning?
Everyone wants food and a shower in the morning, that's when most (if not all) of my riots have happened. Having the crankier prisoners' cells away from the main thoroughfares helps them sleep, but moving your main troublemakers into SuperMax and giving them their own shower slot too could be a good idea. What are you feeding them?

Beware of compensating with too many showers, as the laundry gets ridiculous to the point where clothing is a big need, and high volume laundry means contraband moving around too.
poorstudent
level2
level2

Postby poorstudent » Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:12 pm

Dogs only find 'smelly' contraband so not all of it. Having dogs patrol deliveries and some metal detectors inside your main entrance (where deliveries pass through) you should catch a lot of things.

Most other things will be thrown over the wall, therefore try to leave a 10 block gap between outside walls and where prisoners can walk, also use your informants to show who has what and what is being thrown over the wall.

Also visitation brings in some things so have dogs and detectors there.

Workshops and infirmary's (also other buildings but these are worst offenders) provide weapons for crims, so have detectors in these rooms.
CumpyLustard
level2
level2

Postby CumpyLustard » Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:33 pm

Thrown contraband is one of the things that really gets people, I think. Try to build your prisons so that prisoners are as far away from the outside walls as possible. You might think that it's kind of weird how prisoners magically get stuff through the walls and roof of your prison (and I would agree with you), but that's currently how it works.

Contraband can also be smuggled in through items that come into your prison, such as food, uniforms, and pretty much everything. Make sure you keep metal detectors and dogs near your entrance to try and keep things from being smuggled in.
Muppethero
level1
level1

Postby Muppethero » Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:18 am

I seem to be doing a lot better now. I have about 100 max security guys. They like to kill cops but that seems to be the biggest issue....

I do wish that People would shower during shower time....In prison you shower at your time and You don't complain about it....Hygine seems to cause almost all of the bad moods in my prison

Return to “General”