Performance

General chit-chat and minor questions about just about anything

Moderator: NBJeff

ggjono
level0

Performance

Postby ggjono » Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:57 pm

Hi
i'd imagine this has been posted many many times but after many many alpha builds the performance is still terrible. prison with 452 cells and only 8 of them used, about 70 staff and its just so slow.
looking at the processor utilization it only seems to use the first core! if anyone is to create large complex designs with fancy remote doors and phone tapping they are going to need a beastly cpu

current cpu is amd 8350 working at a good 4ghz yet its going at 100% utilization on the first core with such a lag.

As I said before its most likely been said before but its been going on for so long that it really just lets the game down quite a bit :/
PA is a fantastic game but with such lag spikes its horrible!
xander
level5
level5

Re: Performance

Postby xander » Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:00 pm

Please be aware that discussion of bugs, feature requests, and other suggestions belongs in the Prison Architect Developer Forum. Please read this topic on how to post a suggestion or question. Specifically, please search before you create any new topics, as it is likely that someone else has already had a similar idea, and it might be better to expand upon previous work than to post something redundant. This topic, in particular, has come up quite a bit and you might be interested to see some of the past discussion (for instance, and explanation of (1) why Prison Architect only uses two cores and (2) the reason that throwing more cores at the game is unlikely to have a huge impact on performance).

xander
knoest26
level5
level5

Postby knoest26 » Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:36 pm

ggjono wrote:they are going to need a beastly cpu

I tried that but no luck, it doesn't matter how much you spend on a processor, the game just needs optimizations.
ggjono
level0

Postby ggjono » Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:40 pm

sorry about posting in the wrong sub form I didn't really check :/ and ah yeah hopefully they will sort it some time soon.

Thing I can never understand is that they show huge prisons with lots going on in their dev videos yet they don't have problems with performance? yet I am sure if I was to load the same maps up It'd stutter like fuck :/
starwarsrebel
level0

Postby starwarsrebel » Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:11 am

I have been wondering the exact same thing! I'm basically limited to a few hundred prisoners which keeps me from getting really into different prisoner categories and areas. I play all the time but basically build a prison until it gets too slow then start over with a different design. Lots of fun still but I would like to take it to the next level
knoest26
level5
level5

Postby knoest26 » Sun Nov 30, 2014 7:43 pm

I tend to keep my designs limited to 500-600 prisoners which will give me about 20 frames but anything beyond that will just make the game unplayable because the gamespeed in influenced by your framerate

Return to “General”