General Building Layout

General chit-chat and minor questions about just about anything

Moderator: NBJeff

dashbarron
level1
level1

General Building Layout

Postby dashbarron » Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:15 pm

I always see such pretty prisons in this game. But mine aren't. I'm always paranoid that I'll run out of space so cram everything together, leaving little room for walkways (besides around doors so riots don't occur).

But with the new option to buy more land, I'm trying to let go of my need for maximizing efficiency with just expanding later. How much more land can you buy?

Do you squeeze every last cell into the place, or do you make beautiful hallways, terraces, and outdoor play areas?
ble210
level1
level1

Re: General Building Layout

Postby ble210 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:24 pm

I have had the same problem. But now I've started a new prison, and it is nice and spread out. Looks way, way better than my previous prisons.

I'm playing on medium map- you can expand multiple times in each direction- quite far overall.
mrxak
level1
level1

Postby mrxak » Sat Sep 27, 2014 2:21 am

I start with a large map, and I never run out of space, even when I'm in excess of 500 prisoners. I've always got 4 spaces between each building, grass, paving stone, paving stone, grass. I think it looks pretty enough, for a prison.

Here's my Alpha 22/23 prison before I finished it. There were going to be three more yards, another infirmary, and some more staff facilities. Plus I had those empty rooms that could be converted to cells, solitary, prisoner facilities, or staff facilities. Click for bigger.

blipadouzi
level4
level4

Postby blipadouzi » Sat Sep 27, 2014 2:27 am

My prisons are packed together... but not because I don't have enough space, I plan them that way. I figure it's a prison, not a vacation resort. They'll have pretty little houses to live in when they get released, right now they're institutionalized :P

Here's an example of my standard prison layout.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =294685525
dashbarron
level1
level1

Postby dashbarron » Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:34 pm

Lol wow, looks nice guys.

I get it! So you use the vehicle gates to keep the receiving and garbage rooms outside the walls of your prison.

I usually just keep the perimeter just a space wide to allow my guards to walk through. I've so far had multiple cell blocks and add showers randomly, with one central mess hall in the middle.

Hmmm....
ble210
level1
level1

Postby ble210 » Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:38 pm

Dang blip, that prison is packed!! How many prisoners and guards you have in there?

I like to keep mine spread out, with lots of outdoor areas
blipadouzi
level4
level4

Postby blipadouzi » Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:54 pm

ble210 wrote:Dang blip, that prison is packed!! How many prisoners and guards you have in there?

I like to keep mine spread out, with lots of outdoor areas

In that specific prison I have 703 prisoners out of a 700 prisoners capacity, with 400 guards.

In Alpha 25, I've since gotten rid of the Execution room and replaced it with 2 new wings to make room for SuperMax and Protected making the capacity 724 (12 for each new wing).

I'm currently working on a Meg prison which will hold 1,500 prisoners. But I doubt I'll ever actually open it to receive prisoners. With the workers alone, I'm getting major lag. I'm just having fun with the architecture part in that map :D
RoyBread
level1
level1

Postby RoyBread » Sun Sep 28, 2014 1:25 pm

http://i.imgur.com/QnPJgFM.png

Got excited about the servo update and made this, trying to keep as many staff members as possible out of danger while keeping it running smoothly.
It has some unaesthetic parts to it, but looks good enough for my liking.
I always start with a small map and expand from there, mostly for performance reasons but also because it leads to more interesting looking prisons.
dashbarron
level1
level1

Postby dashbarron » Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:36 am

RoyBread wrote:http://i.imgur.com/QnPJgFM.png

Got excited about the servo update and made this, trying to keep as many staff members as possible out of danger while keeping it running smoothly.
It has some unaesthetic parts to it, but looks good enough for my liking.
I always start with a small map and expand from there, mostly for performance reasons but also because it leads to more interesting looking prisons.

I give -- where's the kitchens? And you have a lot of infirmaries. I have two medical beds, but the last few games I never had anyone even use them.
RoyBread
level1
level1

Postby RoyBread » Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:11 pm

dashbarron wrote:I give -- where's the kitchens? And you have a lot of infirmaries. I have two medical beds, but the last few games I never had anyone even use them.

Inner ring of the administrative building is kitchens. Medical beds come in handy for treating drug addiction.
dashbarron
level1
level1

Postby dashbarron » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:13 pm

RoyBread wrote:
dashbarron wrote:I give -- where's the kitchens? And you have a lot of infirmaries. I have two medical beds, but the last few games I never had anyone even use them.

Inner ring of the administrative building is kitchens. Medical beds come in handy for treating drug addiction.

Hmmm..... One of the central designs of my prisons have been the kitchen right next to the canteen. I thought I had to do this just because when it's supper time the cooks take forever to get all the food out for meal time, and they even put out food at the end of the meal time too. How do you combat hunger/deal with this? Besides the distance, I'd think they'd get hung up by doors or what not because you have no special staff hallways.

This ^ is the same reason I feel my design can't be as pure as you're entire cell-block design because I need this room or that near by lest the prisoners/staff can't make the job in time.
RoyBread
level1
level1

Postby RoyBread » Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:49 am

I have many chefs, but have also since posting that image made the canteen and yard swap places. Will have to move the kitchens towards the outer perimeter if i am to expand with another prison complex.
RichieGrape
level4
level4

Postby RichieGrape » Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:55 am

personaly i like isolating my prisoners into small packs..been tweaking the same prison for a few months now

Return to “General”