Will Prison Architect ever be multicore aware?

General chit-chat and minor questions about just about anything

Moderator: NBJeff

maxp779
level0

Will Prison Architect ever be multicore aware?

Postby maxp779 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:25 am

Yeah I know its alpha etc etc, but is this ever planned for the long term? I gather this kind of thing is easier when its on the table from the very beginning and is generally not something a game can patch in later. It would make creating huge prisons much smoother :)

Regardless loving the game! Havent had this much fun building stuff since DKII.
knoest26
level5
level5

Re: Will Prison Architect ever be multicore aware?

Postby knoest26 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:28 am

probably but not certainly
bae85
level1
level1

Postby bae85 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:30 am

Totally agree. :mrgreen:

My prison only has 400 inmates and its horrendous. I found turning off multi/supersampled in the graphics settings helped a tiny bit. Can someone explain why it doesn't use all of my computers resources available to it either? I'm not talking about multicore but looking at the process through task manager, it doesn't use whatever core it is using to the max nor memory or anything else for that matter! I personally find it really frustrating that I keep hearing about new things being added or ideas to be added in but what's the point of adding new things (that probably slow it down some more) if it's horrible to play! :(

Like I once heard someone say, it doesn't matter how much you polish a turd, it's still a turd at the end of the day! :mrgreen:
maxp779
level0

Postby maxp779 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:46 am

bae85 wrote:Totally agree. :mrgreen:

My prison only has 400 inmates and its horrendous. I found turning off multi/supersampled in the graphics settings helped a tiny bit. Can someone explain why it doesn't use all of my computers resources available to it either? I'm not talking about multicore but looking at the process through task manager, it doesn't use whatever core it is using to the max nor memory or anything else for that matter! I personally find it really frustrating that I keep hearing about new things being added or ideas to be added in but what's the point of adding new things (that probably slow it down some more) if it's horrible to play! :(

Like I once heard someone say, it doesn't matter how much you polish a turd, it's still a turd at the end of the day! :mrgreen:

Im not sure the game runs out of memory, regardless its only 32 bit right now anyways.

As for the CPU core, what windows (and likely other OS's as well) does is it spreads the load among all cores. So a single core aware game on a 4 core system will often show up as using 25% on every core due to the OS scheduling, this would be 12.5% on an 8 core system etc.
bae85
level1
level1

Postby bae85 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:59 am

maxp779 wrote:As for the CPU core, what windows (and likely other OS's as well) does is it spreads the load among all cores. So a single core aware game on a 4 core system will often show up as using 25% on every core due to the OS scheduling, this would be 12.5% on an 8 core system etc.

That's interesting I have 6 cores and it uses 23%! :shock:

Just been looking at Mantis this has been an issue they've been looking at for 18months!
knoest26
level5
level5

Postby knoest26 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:15 pm

It's been 'an issue' for a long time but it probably won't be fixed untill the game is feature-complete
learn_more
level1
level1

Postby learn_more » Fri Sep 26, 2014 4:40 pm

this thread again?
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:10 pm

learn_more wrote:this thread again?

It is only appropriate that we have multiple threads about multi-threading. :\

xander
Puman
level1
level1

Postby Puman » Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:19 pm

knoest26 wrote:It's been 'an issue' for a long time but it probably won't be fixed untill the game is feature-complete

Speaking from experience, I would say you have to design it as a multicore from the beginning, it's not something you can tack on when the product is finished unless you designed with that in mind. You can make small improvements, but generally, spreading it over many cores is a hard task that can lead to a huge plethora of very random problems.

Sorry. :?

There are probably other things they should/could do to improve performance though, I hope they look in to that or that I can afford a better computer soon :)

Return to “General”