Logic airlock-like entrance

General chit-chat and minor questions about just about anything

Moderator: NBJeff

sub1to
level1
level1

Logic airlock-like entrance

Postby sub1to » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:40 pm

I created a simple airlock-like entrance for my prison. For anyone interested in how to do this:
It's a small room with 2 door, that every prisoner and visitor has to move through; Only one of the doors can be open at once.
Used parts:
    8 pressure pads
    4 door servos
    4 remote doors
    6 logic circuits
    (4 metal detectors)

You could probably use a single NOR circuit instead of 2 NOT circuits, but this worked better for me because of the delays.

An example in steam workshop: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=310354386

Edit: Updated pic, forgot 2 lines :$
Last edited by sub1to on Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Suthek
level1
level1

Re: Logic airlock-like entrance

Postby Suthek » Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:09 am

Definetly looks neat. You could also place a dog handler or two within, so you can detect metal and smelly stuff.
Doesn't this create a bottleneck though? What's the capacity?
Also, what are the identity gates on the very right for? Just delay?
sub1to
level1
level1

Postby sub1to » Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:11 pm

Suthek wrote:Definetly looks neat. You could also place a dog handler or two within, so you can detect metal and smelly stuff.
Doesn't this create a bottleneck though? What's the capacity?
Also, what are the identity gates on the very right for? Just delay?

Ye I did put a dog handler in the middle :)
It does create a bottleneck, but that's exactly the point. People will be stuck in there for a short period of time, so the dog handler can sniff them all (and just because I think it's cool ;p)
The capacity depends on your "traffic" I suppose. During visitation hours there can be a lot of people stuck in there, because the the other side only opens once nobody walks over the first side anymore; If that makes sense ;p When visitation hours start the whole group of visitors will probably end up in the lock all at once, for example.
It can also bug out, when people walk over both sides at pretty much the same time. In that case both sides are always open though, so you'll never end up with a situation where both sides don't open.
Those = gates are not hooked up to anything, I just forgot to remove them. I would recommend you put your circuits in your security room anyway, not next to the gate.

If you want I can share my prison on steam workshop and you can have a look for yourself? (there's already one on there, but that doesn't include these gates)
Dan7794
level1
level1

Postby Dan7794 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:24 pm

In the unlikely event of people trying to go both ways through the door simultaneously does neither of them open or both?
sub1to
level1
level1

Postby sub1to » Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:36 pm

Dan7794 wrote:In the unlikely event of people trying to go both ways through the door simultaneously does neither of them open or both?

sub1to wrote:It can also bug out, when people walk over both sides at pretty much the same time. In that case both sides are always open though, so you'll never end up with a situation where both sides don't open.

Both.
Suthek
level1
level1

Postby Suthek » Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:40 pm

sub1to wrote:If you want I can share my prison on steam workshop and you can have a look for yourself? (there's already one on there, but that doesn't include these gates)

Well, not for my sake. I'm familiar enough with gates and fancy gate functions to draw everything necessary out of the picture above (or just recreate it from scratch, it's not that complicated ;-) I did all such stuff already ad nauseam in gMod & university courses though. :-p). There might be others interested in it though, so I suppose it's up to you.
sub1to
level1
level1

Postby sub1to » Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:36 pm

Suthek wrote:
sub1to wrote:If you want I can share my prison on steam workshop and you can have a look for yourself? (there's already one on there, but that doesn't include these gates)

Well, not for my sake. I'm familiar enough with gates and fancy gate functions to draw everything necessary out of the picture above (or just recreate it from scratch, it's not that complicated ;-) I did all such stuff already ad nauseam in gMod & university courses though. :-p). There might be others interested in it though, so I suppose it's up to you.

Ye, it's really simple if you have some experience. I can imagine it's hard for someone who has no tech background though.

Published my prison either way: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =309584612
danners430
level0

Postby danners430 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:32 am

Do you think it is possible to do this kind of thing for road gates so that a truck arrives at the exit gates, goes through one gate and stops at the second. The gate behind him closes, then the second one opens.
sub1to
level1
level1

Postby sub1to » Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:45 am

danners430 wrote:Do you think it is possible to do this kind of thing for road gates so that a truck arrives at the exit gates, goes through one gate and stops at the second. The gate behind him closes, then the second one opens.

I don't think so, because you can't build things on the road. So even if the pressure pads worked with the trucks, it still won't work.
Otherwise you could easily use the same diagram. The door servos do work on the road gates.

Also those gates can be opened by guards, unlike the remote doors. You can't lock the gate if another is open, you can only dictate when it's opened.
blipadouzi
level4
level4

Postby blipadouzi » Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:23 am

It wouldn't be possible with this layout, but with the basic logic system that's in place, change could be made to this diagram to make the road gates work.

Rather than using pressure plates, use a relay wire (wire going from the gate to a logic gate) so that when the gate is activated from a remote station, a secondary signal is bumped to the input device.

Then it's just a matter of figure out the logic for it... possible a NAND gate, so that if a signal is coming from the remote station, AND the first gate, then do not open, or something like that. I haven't played with logic gates in PA yet, and haven't done any gate coding since I last played Minecraft almost a year ago, so I'm a little rusty lol
sub1to
level1
level1

Postby sub1to » Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:14 pm

blipadouzi wrote:It wouldn't be possible with this layout, but with the basic logic system that's in place, change could be made to this diagram to make the road gates work.

Rather than using pressure plates, use a relay wire (wire going from the gate to a logic gate) so that when the gate is activated from a remote station, a secondary signal is bumped to the input device.

Then it's just a matter of figure out the logic for it... possible a NAND gate, so that if a signal is coming from the remote station, AND the first gate, then do not open, or something like that. I haven't played with logic gates in PA yet, and haven't done any gate coding since I last played Minecraft almost a year ago, so I'm a little rusty lol

It's not possible to do it like that.

When you hook up a relay from a door servo to a logic circuit, it's possible to output when another door should and shouldn't be able to open.
The problem is however that the other door will also have to be hooked up to the door-remote, and you can't do any kind of processing between a door-remote and a servo.
What I mean by that is: The only way a door-remote works, is if you hook it up directly to a servo. So you cannot hook the door-remote up to a logic circuit to first see if it's allowed to be opened.

That's the exact reason I chose pressure pads.

In order to do it like this you'd have to have a "someone wants to pass through" output on the door, which could be hooked up to the logic circuits.
Another possibility is having a way to hook up a door-remote to a logic circuit, but it's going to be hard to figure out what door the input is coming from then, hence the suggested door output. (To put this in other words: Intercept and manipulate the signal)

Anyway the point I'm trying to make is: we'll need lower level access.
Also I don't think there's a way to mod the wiring system (yet). I actually had an idea for a mod, which has a server unit (or something) to process things like this.
danners430
level0

Postby danners430 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:50 pm

I actually ended up simply using a NOT gate between the first and the second gate, but even that didn't work. If we had a way of detecting trucks, that would work - feature request incoming!
sub1to
level1
level1

Postby sub1to » Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:12 pm

danners430 wrote:I actually ended up simply using a NOT gate between the first and the second gate, but even that didn't work. If we had a way of detecting trucks, that would work - feature request incoming!

You'd also need a gate that can't be opened by guards, otherwise the guards will just open them when a truck is queued to go through and the whole thing is pointless.

Edit: I've also noticed that the gates clip with the trucks, if the truck is stopped in the middle of the gate. This happens if there's a queue of trucks waiting to be unloaded, or waiting for garbage to be loaded.
In other words: the trucks don't check if there is enough space left for them to park behind the gate, so they park on the gate. The gate still closes however.
CJH
level2
level2

Postby CJH » Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:51 am

Cool!
sebastiannielsen
level2
level2

Postby sebastiannielsen » Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:12 am

Did make a improved version of a airlock, that REALLY forces the first door to Close Before the other one can open.

Here you do it:
You need:
2 doors
4 pressure plates
5 (!) servos. 3 of them will NOT be attached to a door.
2 door timers
2 Power switches.
6 logic gates (3 NOR, 1 AND, 2 OR)

Lets call the doors like this (letters = doors, numbers = plates):
A
B

Now connect both 1 to a OR gate.
Now connect both 2 to a OR gate.

Connect 2 NOR gates to each other. Eg, connect NOR 1 to NOR 2, and connect NOR 2 to NOR 1.
You have now created a latch.
Now connect OR1 to NOR1
Now connect OR2 to NOR2

Stepping on the plates will now switch the latch, like a on-off Circuit.

Now, connect NOR2 to a servo1 which is NOT attached to a door.
Now connect servo1 to a Power switch1.
On the Power line to powerswtich1, attach a door timer1. Set the door timer Schedule to Always open (make every row green).
Connect door timer1 to servo2, and then connect servo2 to powerswitch2. On powerswtich2 output, attach doortimer2. Set doortimer2 to always open too.
Now connect doortimer2 to servo3.
Connect servo1, servo2 and servo3 to a third NOR gate.
Connect servo1, servo2 and servo3 to a AND gate.

Connect AND gate to A.
Connect NOR3 to B.

Now you have a REAL airlock. The reason we use 2 Power switches and door timers here, is that the Power switch adds a small delay that will give time for a door to Close Before the other one opens. Note that the Power switch output is NOT delayed, only the propagation of electricity is delayed, why you have to use a doortimer to "convert back" the electricity to a logic signal again. By putting 2 such arrangements in series, we create a delay that is double as long.

The airlock is also SAFE, one door (either inner or outer) will ALWAYS be open, and even if both pressure plates is actuated, only one door will open and the airlock will never happen to get into a "deadlock" situation where both doors are closed and no one can open them.
If you want a airlock where both doors are normally closed, add OR1 to AND gate, and then add a seventh AND gate. To this seventh AND gate, add OR2 and NOR3.
Thus the doors will only open if someone is also stepping on the pressure plate.
This "all doors closed" airlock is also safe since one door will Always be "unlocked". Stepping on both pressure plates at the same time, will put the NOR latch in a "both off" mode, which will turn off all Power switches and door timers, and thus unlock the B door. (like the B plates were stepped on only). Thus B door will have priority over A door.

Return to “General”