[BUG] This is not the alpha forum

General chit-chat and minor questions about just about anything

Moderator: NBJeff

queenofhearts
level1
level1

[BUG] This is not the alpha forum

Postby queenofhearts » Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:53 pm

Seems like this boards now about 70% posts that have xander, Rgeezy911 etc, cut and pasting its not the alpha forum.

Maybe its time to just let people post bugs and suggestions here too?
Disda
level1
level1

Re: [BUG] This is not the alpha forum

Postby Disda » Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:35 pm

Dude, you're not joking.

Not sure why people are bent on stifling open communication and the free exchange of ideas. Or why in the world they thought it was a good idea in the first place.
RGeezy911
level5
level5

Postby RGeezy911 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:56 pm

Hi queenofhearts,

When John Knottenbelt asked me to volunteer as a moderator, I was given specific instructions on what to do. Part of those instructions were to organize the boards as much as possible. I've already explained what the boards should hold in them. General for minor questions, and Developer for more detailed questions and suggestions. The whole forum operates likes this - DEFCON, Darwinia, and Uplink have their own hidden developer boards that only users in those user groups can see - so it's not just Prison Architect, this is how the administrators / Introversion developers set up their forum.

Therefore, when a new user posts a detailed question / suggestion on the general board, I'll help them out by guiding them in the right direction. My copy pasted posts save me time so I can quickly continue reading through the forum instead of spending time re-typing that post over and over again.

That being said, I have already sent John a message asking for a possible change to the Prison Architect forum descriptions to help guide new users a little better, and for the developer board to be viewable on the index to everyone but inaccessible to users not part of the alpha group. However, there is no guarantee that immediate changes will be made.

Cheers!
Disda
level1
level1

Postby Disda » Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:47 pm

RGeezy911 wrote: General for minor questions, and Developer for more detailed questions and suggestions.

I don't think it's unreasonable for the General forums to be the place and location where users formulate ideas and firm up suggestions or bugs. There's nothing wrong with me discussing a bug or enhancement idea in this particular forum, before it's taken up to the developer forums. That will involve multiple iterations of duplicate bugs - while it may be difficult to organize, it promotes a healthier conversation around the game, enhances the community, and ultimately engages everyone.

Currently, the situation is a new user will google PA forums, be directed here, sign up, and look to become involved with the community, and then be unequivocally turned away. Either by the complicated process, the lack of available content in the only forum they have access to, or just by the overly bitchy moderators. And to be honest... I can't really say I blame them.

If you allow that cycle to continue, you'll ultimately get fewer new suggestions and a community that's only a shadow of what it could be. People aren't just posting because they want to share an idea or a bug, they're posting because they want to talk about Prison architect and want to be a part of a community that actually knows what it's like to be a warden during a riot. And 99% of the time, the things that draw them to google the forums are... a bug or an enhancement. It doesn't have to be new to the forums, because it's new to them.

So when those new people get turned away in such an abrupt manner, you don't just lose the bug they were discussing at the time, you lose every bug they would find, every enhancement they would have contributed towards if they were an active member. On top of the whatever votes they give to upvote an issue, on top of every new member they help bring into the forum.

The problem is primarily that Google is directing every new user here and saying: "Here's the place to talk about PA" and then when they get here and finally post, they're met with: "Can't talk about PA here". You almost can't blame the -- for being the way he is, he's trying to correct a Google search result by individually correcting the users. What did you expect to happen?

So yea, currently... it's REALLY bad
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:44 pm

Disda wrote:--==<snip>==--

While I don't agree with your point of view, I do understand it and have *some* empathy for it. Unfortunately, you are complaining to the wrong people. Only a small number of people (basically John, maybe Chris or NeoThermic) could make the change you desire, and I suspect that they are disinclined to do so.

That being said, someone who is offended at being directed to the developer forum and who is liable to fly off the handle at being asked to search the forum before posting is probably someone that we don't want or need in this community.

xander

Return to “General”