Authenticity Issues

General chit-chat and minor questions about just about anything

Moderator: NBJeff

User avatar
xander
level5
level5
Posts: 16869
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:41 pm
Location: Highland, CA, USA
Contact:

Re: Authenticity Issues

Postby xander » Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:51 pm

Kenhotep wrote:You might start with "Thank you for your interest in our little game. It's nice to have you and we appreciate your input."

Noted and amended. Thank you.

Disda wrote:I want to make sure I'm clear, I didn't call you a little bitch because you treated me like a child (you didn't) nor did I call you a little bitch because you can't take criticism (you probably can). I called you a little bitch for being snarky towards a new member who was honestly trying to be pleasant and welcoming to me. Because honestly, that's a little bitch thing to do. _ESPECIALLY_ from someone representing the community/company.

Your main gripe seems to be with my tone. You don't like it. Fine. I have given you the opportunity to help adjust the tone of the boilerplate (you refused), and you have ceded the high ground regarding tone by repeatedly calling me a "little bitch." Please take your tone trolling somewhere else.

Disda wrote:If the predominant amount of threads have replies similar to the one found in this thread, perhaps this is a systemic issue with the setup and not user error. You say this is a forum for the general chatter about the game, but claim it's not the Prison Architect Alpha forum... that's inherently confusing. Especially when it's the only PA forum given to new members.

I'm sorry that you are confused by it. Again, I made no disparaging comments about your confusion in my original reply. I offered you links to the correct place to find discussion of bugs and feature suggestions. If you weren't so hung up about tone, you might have discovered that there are many active discussions there about the issues that seem to interest you. Instead of wasting your time complaining about my phrasing, you could be happily contributing over there. It seems that you either have nothing of substance to contribute, you are childishly taking the ball and going home, or you are more interested in trolling.

Disda wrote:I disagree with this approach, but obviously you guys can do what you want. In the ideal world, you're taking all of your potential customers and making sure they stay away from your best advertisement (the community). In a more realistic world you're exposing some of your actual customers (and the potential customers) to confusion and dismissal. Honestly from what I can take away from the developer forum the community seems pretty awesome - not sure why that isn't front and center in any and all strategies you guys have. (Especially in a community funded game)

I don't work for IV. The best that I can do is attempt to direct people to the appropriate venue.

Kenhotep wrote:Disda, that's the thing! I can see the potential in this game. And I'm blown away by the planning tool, something I can't remember even the huge titles ever offering. But I'm so put off right now by the heavy-handedness in the moderation of the forums, that I'm conflicted whether I care any more or not. I also bought FTL and I haven't played it yet cuz I've been playing this.

Two things: first, the planning tool was implemented in response to community feedback in the developer forum. There has recently been more discussion of how to expand the planning tool (i.e. making it possible to clone, rotate, and move plans; adding more detailed planning; &c.). If you like the feature and want to see more of it, I would suggest that you look at the developer forum and at the feature requests on the Mantis Tracker. Same goes for the AI---when I told you that AI wasn't a priority right now, I explained why, and how you could campaign to make it a priority---improving the AI isn't a priority right now because it is not something that the community has decided is a priority. Find or create appropriate reports in the tracker, then campaign to get them upvoted. Again, I don't work for IV and have no control over their process. What kind of answer did you expect?

Second, there is virtually no moderation on the forums. If there were more active moderation, this topic would have been moved to the developer forum by a moderator. On some more draconian forums, it would have been either locked or deleted, as it was rather redundant.

xander
Last edited by xander on Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Disda
level1
level1
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:29 pm

Re: Authenticity Issues

Postby Disda » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:27 pm

xander wrote:Your main gripe seems to be with my tone.

My main gripe is that you came into a constructive post from a new member and proceeded to used it as a platform to be condescending to other community members. This is clearly something that multiple other people have noticed and chimed in on. In fact you admitted you were being snarky to a new member, Is this your idea of contributing to a positive community? Let's look at my initial post and your response to Millie, which do you see as contributing more? Keep in mind, you were the one who came into this thread being snarky... I'm not trying to keep any moral high ground here, especially if you're judging what the high ground is or isn't, you were rude to Millie - I called you a bitch for it. If you think that makes me a troll - I'm ok with that. It's probably how you've convinced yourself that EVERYONE else here is wrong except for you.

xander wrote:. If you weren't so hung up about tone, you might have discovered that there are many active discussions there about the issues that seem to interest you. Instead of wasting your time complaining about my phrasing, you could be happily contributing over there.

I don't care about your tone dude, I just don't understand how an apparent representative of the community can be going out of their way to be snarky to a new member.

But then again
xander wrote:I don't work for IV or represent the community in any way

Then what the fuck are you doing here man? Why the FUCK are you trying to moderate or pretend to be something you're not? Why are you posting at all in this thread? You want to help out and contribute - go the fuck away. You've really accomplished nothing other than making sure a small portion of the community feels absolutely zero desire to contribute at all. Great job.

--Disda
User avatar
xander
level5
level5
Posts: 16869
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:41 pm
Location: Highland, CA, USA
Contact:

Re: Authenticity Issues

Postby xander » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:31 pm

You don't care about my tone, yet the only thing you are complaining about is how snarky and rude I am, i.e. my tone. Please keep your story straight.

xander
Disda
level1
level1
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:29 pm

Re: Authenticity Issues

Postby Disda » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:33 pm

Moderator Edit - Post dismissed: The civility in this topic and respect for others is appalling.
Last edited by RGeezy911 on Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited for content. This topic is now being moderated.
RGeezy911
level5
level5
Posts: 1098
Joined: Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:21 pm

Re: Authenticity Issues

Postby RGeezy911 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:07 am

Topic Locked.

@ Disda,

Please accept the fact that I did not go through this topic in it's entirety, but I have read enough to lock it.

For clarification's sake, the Prison Architect General boards are there for users who do not own the game. It allows everyone to discuss minor things related to the game, share screenshots / let's play videos, and other related items. The Prison Architect Developer boards are there for users who own the game. It allows players to discuss more detailed issues like possible suggestions, possible bugs or errors, modifications to the game, and other detailed items.

I will agree that the description of the general boards can be misleading, and I will message John or NeoThermic with a possible change to that description. However, that alone does not defeat the fact that a stickied topic on the top of the general boards exists to guide you to the right board. Those topics should be read, as they contain helpful information for new users / players.

xander is a limited moderator here, his mandate is to keep the Prison Architect board as organized as possible, as is part of my mandate. His copy-pasted post may seem repetitive, but he does it to guide you to the correct location, and because many suggestion / bug report topics get posted on the general board, which is incorrect. It would be a hassle to constantly type out that post over and over again.

xander's post was to address the issue that many of your suggestions have been mentioned in the past, and that you could have reignited those dead suggestions with your own ideas by posting in those topics instead.

Finally, the developer boards are not difficult to discover. The email you receive when buying from the Introversion store should explain how to register, and the stickied post: This is NOT the Alpha forum also explains how to get registered if you buy from Steam or the Humble Bundle store.
_____

There is a level of civility that needs to be maintained, and you missed that mark by a lot. xander's posts were mostly neutral while you began berating him with your set of expletives. The moment you let your anger go off against someone who wasn't trying to start a fight, is the moment the conversation gets lost.

In a listed summary:
  • Please read the stickied posts. Announcements are different from stickies because announcements are placed in a separate box on the top of a board. However, stickies will stay within the main topic box, but will always stay on top of the list.

  • Please respect everyone here as a human being, civility must be maintained.

  • I will attempt to change the general board's description to make it more appropriate for what should be posted within it.

  • If you wish to suggest new additions to the game, please post in the developer board following the guidelines set forth here: How to post a suggestion or question. Keep in mind, these are not rules that you must follow, but it would be greatly appreciated if you kept things neater and organized for us too.
Thanks

Return to “General”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest