Quick Questions

General chit-chat and minor questions about just about anything

Moderator: NBJeff

original182
level1
level1

Quick Questions

Postby original182 » Sat May 03, 2014 8:24 am

Hey all, I just bought the game during the Steam Sale and I like this game, it reminds me of Theme Hospital.

I have a few questions:

1. Is there a more elegant way of removing the yard or forestry? Because they are outdoors, I cannot bulldoze them. Currently I lay a foundation over them, and then bulldoze the foundation, but that can get clunky.

2. For the workshop, sometimes my carpenters prefer to make license plates instead of making beds. Is there a way to force them to make beds instead of making cheap license plates?

3. In the workshop, my logs and license plates are all over the room, and the license plates are only moved sometimes to the export room. Is there a way to make all license plates go to the export room?

4. Upon closer examination, some of my prisoners do not sleep at night. This usually happens when they have satisfied their sleep needs the previous night, so they just stay awake during the whole night, and then feel sleepy during the day. Is there a way to force prisoners to sleep during sleep period?
christhekiller
level3
level3

Re: Quick Questions

Postby christhekiller » Sat May 03, 2014 8:57 am

1. If you open the rooms tab and hold down the right mouse button it will dezone any room.

2. Hmm. For me the game seems to encourage the carpenters to make beds. But no, there isn't any way to force your prisoners to make beds. But both are profitable so it's not a big issue.

3. Try adding tables. Workers will usually put the stuff on the table and then they'll be moved to the machines. It's a decent way to organize the stuff though not perfect. Furthermore, try hiring more workers. The only reason the workers won't move stuff to the exports is if they're all busy with other stuff. Furthermore you can manually sell stuff by either A. clicking on it and then clicking the option "Sell Object" or B. Going to the Objects menu, there'll be a button that says "Sell Objects" and simply hold left click over all your sellable items to sell them.

4. You could try reducing the sleep time. All my prisoners get a solid 8 hours sleep and all seem to work up the need for a good rest by days end
original182
level1
level1

Postby original182 » Sat May 03, 2014 9:32 am

Thanks for your reply.

1. When studying in a program, 2 factors determine the pass rate of the prisoner, concentration and understanding.

Concentration I know depends on whether his needs are satisfied, but what about understanding? Can you increase it somehow?
christhekiller
level3
level3

Postby christhekiller » Sat May 03, 2014 12:23 pm

Understanding can't really be tweaked. Each prison has sort of hidden traits in the game change how well they'll do in the class. Some prisoners will be better at Foundation Education, others will be better in the Workshop. If you watch the Alpha 18 update video Chris explains it a bit better.
original182
level1
level1

Postby original182 » Sun May 04, 2014 1:32 pm

1. Obviously you want to catch inmates with tools to prevent them from using it to escape.

But what about contraband? What does it really do to the inmate? Will it make them more rebellious if you just let them keep whatever contraband they have?

2. Is there a better way to do laundry? Like should I stay with just one laundry basket? How do you provide clean uniforms for everyone?
DarknessEyes
level2
level2

Postby DarknessEyes » Sun May 04, 2014 4:30 pm

original182 wrote:1. Obviously you want to catch inmates with tools to prevent them from using it to escape.

But what about contraband? What does it really do to the inmate? Will it make them more rebellious if you just let them keep whatever contraband they have?

2. Is there a better way to do laundry? Like should I stay with just one laundry basket? How do you provide clean uniforms for everyone?

Its 1 or 2 laundry baskets per cell block.
original182
level1
level1

Postby original182 » Sun May 04, 2014 5:10 pm

DarknessEyes wrote:
original182 wrote:1. Obviously you want to catch inmates with tools to prevent them from using it to escape.

Its 1 or 2 laundry baskets per cell block.

Where do you put the laundry basket? In the cell block, or in the laundry room?
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sun May 04, 2014 9:59 pm

original182 wrote:Where do you put the laundry basket? In the cell block, or in the laundry room?

In the laundry. You'll note that one of the requirements of the laundry is baskets, and that it will flash a warning until baskets are placed.

xander
original182
level1
level1

Postby original182 » Mon May 05, 2014 4:56 am

Q1. How is years served calculated in the prisoner's tab?
I've tried investigating and 1 day in prison is about ~24 in-game hours. But 0.1 year served is about ~10 in-game hours.

Q2. I have read horror stories of people who try to have 2 laundry rooms, 2 kitchens, 2 canteens, etc. But those posts are like last year.

How is it now though? Is it feasible?

Q3. How do you encourage people to enter programs more? According to the devs, suppression plays a part, but it cannot be the only one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pSoteVB_lE

From the alpha 18 video, 12:40 onwards, Chris said that the chances of inmates volunteering strongly depends on their "mood" (?). Maybe he meant condition, because that's what he was talking before?
He then mentions that inmates that are heavily suppressed or in solitary confinement won't even consider because, why the hell should they? So suppression of the condition plays a part.
Prisoners won't even volunteer unless things "are running with reasonable standards". Reasonable standards implies that suppression isn't the only factor, maybe good mood plays a part.
Does mood (good, normal, bad) play a part?
Do other parts of condition like unconscious and well fed play a part?

So has anyone looked into the scripts to see what other factors encourage people to volunteer for programs?

Return to “General”