Problem installing mods! Need urgent help!!

General chit-chat and minor questions about just about anything

Moderator: NBJeff

track9
level0

Problem installing mods! Need urgent help!!

Postby track9 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:24 am

Hello!

Just bought and installed/updated PAA16, it works great but I´m unable to activate mod´s I´ve downloaded via PA-wiki-page.

I have followed the simple steps correctly (atleast I think so). I downloaded a grant-mod and extracted the files into the mods-folder (I opened it from in the game). Restarted the game but still unable to activate any mods. Cant find them them. What have I done wrong?!?!

//
Henke
Master-Guy
level2
level2

Re: Problem installing mods! Need urgent help!!

Postby Master-Guy » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:05 am

jelco wrote:In an attempt to keep the forums organized, I would like to remind everyone participating in the Prison Architect Alpha that any Alpha-specific questions, bug reports etc. should go in the Developer subforum, not here in the General subforum. You are of course free to share screenshots etc. over here if you feel like it, but bug reports do not belong here.

Additionally, please use the Search button before creating a new topic. With the alpha progressing the chance becomes greater that anything you run into has been noticed and posted about before. Instead of creating a new topic, please post in an existing topic (in the Developer forum).

Thanks! :)

Jelco

Post a screenshot of your "mods" folder and your ingame mods menu please
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:48 pm

Master-Guy: It is likely that this is a gameplay issue, not a but nor suggestion, thus the General Forum is an entirely appropriate place for it.

xander
track9
level0

Postby track9 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:55 am

I´m new to this forum and I have searched for similar posts but couldnt find any,

I´m running the game in safe-mode on my old computer right now because my graphic-card doesnt support OpenGL (Unsure of what that is). Is this why the mods doesnt work?
elDiablo
level5
level5

Postby elDiablo » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:37 am

That is correct. Mods are not loaded when running in safe mode.
track9
level0

Postby track9 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:13 am

Thats the problem then!! I think my graphic-card is too old to support OpenGL on this laptop. Thanks 4 the help!!

Unless someone got a tip to address the OpenGL-situation.
jodev
level2
level2

Postby jodev » Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:26 pm

Simply put, OpenGL is a certain way that the game uses to "talk" to the graphics card. Maybe you have heard of DirectX? That is similar to OpenGL, but it uses a different language. Most, if not all graphic cards understand both languages to a certain extend. The extend is determined by the features supported by your graphics card. These features are a bit technical to explain, but they allow your video card to do certain things with the rendering instructions they receive.

Say that your graphics card of 4 years old has features X and Y (very simplified as you see). As long as the game uses just those two features it should generally run fine. But last year a new feature Z became common on video cards and games now start instructing your video card to use this feature. Your X and Y video card doesn't understand this. Panic! Sometimes the game will work but simply won't use feature Z. Other times they require feature Z to work. If your video card doesn't support the feature you are basically out of luck and you'd need a new video card that does support it.

So, judging by this thread, Prison architect uses some features similar to Z in regular mode, but not in safe mode.

Return to “General”