[Attention] The problem with saving the game

General chit-chat and minor questions about just about anything

Moderator: NBJeff

User avatar
knoest26
level5
level5
Posts: 1380
Joined: Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:55 pm
Location: The Netherlands
Contact:

Re: [Attention] The problem with saving the game

Postby knoest26 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:39 pm

rlgjiojgboirtjnb wrote:They think you are a racist.

Then 'they' should get their shit together and learn the true meaning of racism. Plus, I never try to be political, but to express my opinion on a matter. My opinion on this matter: I think it's normal for a small company like Introversion to only support the lettertype in which English is written. I don't see how that would be racist.

How I want to put all starving African in a factory, I think that if they would work together under the command of a western businessman to produce goods they could sell that they could then afford a more luxurious lifestyle. Offcourse some people are then going to complain and call it slavery, but as long as the businessman is only there to teach the Africans about business stuf and have the same salary as the Africans it would be good for their economy. I see how that could seem racist to anybody who hasn't taught about it properly if that's what you mean, but how is it my problem that others don't think before they comment?

And yes I am aware that putting Africans in a factory is going to end up as slavery because power corrupts, but that's why we choose a new president/Chancelor/Prime minister every 4 years so the same should be done.

Now, I simply don't care about who finds me racist and for what reason. I know what I am and why, no need to agree with me.
User avatar
xander
level5
level5
Posts: 16869
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:41 pm
Location: Highland, CA, USA
Contact:

Re: [Attention] The problem with saving the game

Postby xander » Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:44 pm

knoest26 wrote:Then 'they' should get their shit together and learn the true meaning of racism.

Oh, please, wise and noble knoest26, tell me the true meaning of racism!

knoest26 wrote:Plus, I never try to be political, but to express my opinion on a matter.

I'm not trying to be political! I'm just expressing an opinion on a matter in a way that happens to have political implications! Other people don't understand me! Whaaa!

knoest26 wrote:My opinion on this matter: I think it's normal for a small company like Introversion to only support the lettertype in which English is written. I don't see how that would be racist.

That isn't what is getting you into trouble. What is getting you into trouble is the implied value judgment that people who don't us a standard Latin alphabet don't deserve to play video games, and your justification for the same. Those are the things that make you sound like a fucking racist. (Please note that I have not actually called you a racist in this thread, only noted that the arguments that you use are the same kinds of arguments that are used by racists in the US---if you don't want to be seen as racist, you might try to express yourself better).

knoest26 wrote:How I want to put all starving African in a factory, I think that if they would work together under the command of a western businessman to produce goods they could sell that they could then afford a more luxurious lifestyle. Offcourse some people are then going to complain and call it slavery, but as long as the businessman is only there to teach the Africans about business stuf and have the same salary as the Africans it would be good for their economy. I see how that could seem racist to anybody who hasn't taught about it properly if that's what you mean, but how is it my problem that others don't think before they comment?

And yes I am aware that putting Africans in a factory is going to end up as slavery because power corrupts, but that's why we choose a new president/Chancelor/Prime minister every 4 years so the same should be done.

Do you really, honestly not comprehend how racist this sounds? Are you truly that clueless? Have you done any of the reading that I assigned you above?

knoest26 wrote:Now, I simply don't care about who finds me racist and for what reason. I know what I am and why, no need to agree with me.

When someone says that you sound like a racist, there are essentially two responses: you can deny that you are being racist and keep on doing whatever it is that you are doing, or you can try to understand what you are doing that is offensive and try to change it. The former is what a racist would do, while the latter is what someone who is trying not to be a racist would do. What are you doing?

xander
User avatar
knoest26
level5
level5
Posts: 1380
Joined: Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:55 pm
Location: The Netherlands
Contact:

Re: [Attention] The problem with saving the game

Postby knoest26 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:05 am

xander wrote:
knoest26 wrote:Then 'they' should get their shit together and learn the true meaning of racism.

Oh, please, wise and noble knoest26, tell me the true meaning of racism!

It would be racism if I would express hatred toward a certain race for the sole reason of being from that race.

xander wrote:
knoest26 wrote:Plus, I never try to be political, but to express my opinion on a matter.

I'm not trying to be political! I'm just expressing an opinion on a matter in a way that happens to have political implications! Other people don't understand me! Whaaa!

That's exactly what's happening, I'm expressing my opinion on a matter but you recieve it as being political, please explain how you would define a political answer so I can reference that with my interpretation

xander wrote:
knoest26 wrote:My opinion on this matter: I think it's normal for a small company like Introversion to only support the lettertype in which English is written. I don't see how that would be racist.

That isn't what is getting you into trouble. What is getting you into trouble is the implied value judgment that people who don't us a standard Latin alphabet don't deserve to play video games, and your justification for the same. Those are the things that make you sound like a fucking racist. (Please note that I have not actually called you a racist in this thread, only noted that the arguments that you use are the same kinds of arguments that are used by racists in the US---if you don't want to be seen as racist, you might try to express yourself better).

I don't think those people don't deserve it, I just thinks it's normal that it doesn't work. People are free to use whatever language they want for whatever reason they like but one of the most influential languages is English and if you choose to use a language other than English these saving problems are something you should accept. In the end I hope Introversion will add support to give this amazing game the access it deserves, I just don't think it should be a priority now.

xander wrote:
knoest26 wrote:How I want to put all starving African in a factory, I think that if they would work together under the command of a western businessman to produce goods they could sell that they could then afford a more luxurious lifestyle. Offcourse some people are then going to complain and call it slavery, but as long as the businessman is only there to teach the Africans about business stuf and have the same salary as the Africans it would be good for their economy. I see how that could seem racist to anybody who hasn't taught about it properly if that's what you mean, but how is it my problem that others don't think before they comment?

And yes I am aware that putting Africans in a factory is going to end up as slavery because power corrupts, but that's why we choose a new president/Chancelor/Prime minister every 4 years so the same should be done.

Do you really, honestly not comprehend how racist this sounds? Are you truly that clueless? Have you done any of the reading that I assigned you above?

I guess I am that clueless then. I see how some people could find it racist but those are, in my eyes, people who don't understand the purpose of it. Apparently, neither do you.

xander wrote:
knoest26 wrote:Now, I simply don't care about who finds me racist and for what reason. I know what I am and why, no need to agree with me.

When someone says that you sound like a racist, there are essentially two responses: you can deny that you are being racist and keep on doing whatever it is that you are doing, or you can try to understand what you are doing that is offensive and try to change it. The former is what a racist would do, while the latter is what someone who is trying not to be a racist would do. What are you doing?

I'm defending my right to express my thoughts based while keeping other peoples feelings in mind. I don't see why I should be bothered by the way some people living hunderds of kilometers away from me who I will never see think of me. To me I'm not racist and eventhough feelings and experiences are relative I feel like my way of expressing myself is within the acceptable boundry of that relativeness. If you feel like that's not the case, thank you for telling me and I sincerly considered your feedback but I chose to ignore it as I think it's false, or at least not true enough
RGeezy911
level5
level5
Posts: 1098
Joined: Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:21 pm

Re: [Attention] The problem with saving the game

Postby RGeezy911 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:04 am

knoest26 wrote:It would be racism if I would express hatred toward a certain race for the sole reason of being from that race.

And you are wrong...

Google wrote:The belief that all members of each race possess characteristics or abilities specific to that race, esp. so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races.

Dictionary.Reference.com wrote:A belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to rule others.

Merriam-Webster wrote:A belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race.

Examples of your racism are the following:

knoest26 wrote:I'm Dutch but I go to a special school to become a native English speaker as it will help me in my further career. I would actually consider translating the game a bad idea as it would give foreigners an 'easy way out' so they can go back to their native language.

knoest26 wrote:I would like to put all starving African in a big factory, not because I want to exploit them for my own benefit, but because I believe they need a function economy and for that you need to export items in which you have specialised to maximize profit and then import other materials other countries have specialized in.


First, by saying that foreigners shouldn't be allowed an "easy way out" and must switch to English simply means, "Our language is superior because it can change their lives, therefore they must never go back to their cultural ways lest they become further inferior to the world."

Secondly, by saying Africans should be placed in a factory to work for a "Western Businessman" in an attempt to better their country simply means, "Our language and our country are far superior then yours, therefore you shall work for me in an attempt to better your already inferior lives." What makes your quote even worse is the fact that you've already painted Africans (as a whole) as inferior by labeling them as "Starving."

Sir, I don't know if you're blinded by your own intelligence, if you just don't know enough, or are too ignorant to want to know.

I deprecate your existence in this community.
Last edited by RGeezy911 on Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
xander
level5
level5
Posts: 16869
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:41 pm
Location: Highland, CA, USA
Contact:

Re: [Attention] The problem with saving the game

Postby xander » Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:22 am

knoest26 wrote:It would be racism if I would express hatred toward a certain race for the sole reason of being from that race.

You are incorrect. Or, rather, this is a definition of racism that hold no currency in any meaningful context. RGeezy911 provided a reasonable place to start, as far as commonly accepted definitions of racism go. There are some pieces missing in terms of institutional racism and ideas about how power plays into racism (there are some social scientists that would argue that racism is [url=http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Prejudice_plus_power]prejudice plus power[/quote], but this is not a commonly accepted notion outside of certain academic circles), but the dictionary definitions are generally sufficient.

knoest26 wrote:That's exactly what's happening, I'm expressing my opinion on a matter but you recieve it as being political, please explain how you would define a political answer so I can reference that with my interpretation

It is one thing to say "Most games don't do a very good job of supporting non-English languages. It should not be surprising that Prison Architect doesn't, either." It is an entirely different thing to demand that everyone learn English in order to save a fucking file.

knoest26 wrote:I guess I am that clueless then. I see how some people could find it racist but those are, in my eyes, people who don't understand the purpose of it. Apparently, neither do you.

When someone doesn't understand what you are saying, the fault is yours---not the listener's. Either you are being racist, or you are not communicating your opinions accurately. In either case, it isn't my fault that what you are saying makes you sound racist.

xander
rlgjiojgboirtjnb
level2
level2
Posts: 84
Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:30 am

Re: [Attention] The problem with saving the game

Postby rlgjiojgboirtjnb » Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:29 am

knoest26 wrote:Now, I simply don't care about who finds me racist and for what reason. I know what I am and why, no need to agree with me.

As i expected, this is pointless. (People believe from what i say and write that i am a racist, but as long as i believe im not a racist, im definitely not a racist!)

Im not sure if its bad parenting, bad education or just being bad by genetics or some other random shit i cant think of, but im pretty sure this is a lost cause. So people, lets just ignore the (according to himself non-) racist and move on. Unless anyone of us meets this not so smart person (idiot) in real life, there is nothing we can do. So put him on the ignore list (foe list) and move on.

And if this post sounds aggressive, it is. I hate ignorant people to the bones. Esp. racist ignorants who study bullshit subjects and think they have a clue about anything.

PS: You wanna study IB? Have a look how international trading agreements (i.e. NAFTA) and the IWF have fucked up dozens of countries and have improved literally 0. Then come again. But this shit isnt taught in IB or any related course because then it wouldnt be a university subject but a hoax course at some mini free school. And people studying this shitty imaginary subjects cant even comprehend anything complex in that area, otherwise they would be studying some real stuff instead of IB.
PPS: My source: best friend, best female friend and several other people studying IB or derivatives and all confirming that its BS subject. Unlike knoest they are at least aware of it and not some goddamn racists.
User avatar
xander
level5
level5
Posts: 16869
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:41 pm
Location: Highland, CA, USA
Contact:

Re: [Attention] The problem with saving the game

Postby xander » Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:41 am

rlgjiojgboirtjnb wrote:I hate ignorant people to the bones.

I don't hate ignorant people. Most of them can't help it. I hate willful ignorance. When someone has access to knowledge, yet refuses to do anything with it, I get angry.

xander

EDIT: Since it keeps coming up, what da fuk is IB? Google is no help---the initialism seems to be too generic.
RGeezy911
level5
level5
Posts: 1098
Joined: Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:21 pm

Re: [Attention] The problem with saving the game

Postby RGeezy911 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:20 am

It might be this: International Baccalaureate

I searched IB course subject into Google, so I'm not sure if that's it or not.
User avatar
knoest26
level5
level5
Posts: 1380
Joined: Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:55 pm
Location: The Netherlands
Contact:

Re: [Attention] The problem with saving the game

Postby knoest26 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:50 am

rlgjiojgboirtjnb wrote:And if this post sounds aggressive, it is. I hate ignorant people to the bones. Esp. racist ignorants who study bullshit subjects and think they have a clue about anything.

Luckily for me, I don't care if you hate me. You obviously don't understand me and your attitude causes me to stop bother explaining myself to you. And I would watch out with that big mouth of yours, it's going to get you in trouble sometime. You are judging people before you know them, luckily for you I have learned not to take everything too personal. Else I would be coming to you with a sad story of how my father killed himself in front my own eyes and tell you how heartbreaking it was to look in somebody's eyes and see that that person just wants to die, especially if that person is your father. And offcourse I would then mention my mom's boyfriend and my grandfather and my parents divorce and earlier suicide attempts and the other bullshit I was put through. I might be only 17 but I have seen a lot of bullshit and I have a good perspective of how things work so please don't judge before you know the whole story. Needless to say offcourse bad things will happen is you mention my father in the wrong way, that's kind of a touchy subject. And please don't mistake that for a terrorist threat like mistook my help for racism.
RGeezy911 wrote:It might be this: International Baccalaureate

Yeah that's the one. I don't see what this guys problem is with it, IB basicly means that you learn to express your opinion in extra essays which you submit and get graded. After that you get a degree showing that you have suffient amount of English to be accepted (based on your English) on any university, it's like an extra degree.
xander wrote:It is one thing to say "Most games don't do a very good job of supporting non-English languages. It should not be surprising that Prison Architect doesn't, either." It is an entirely different thing to demand that everyone learn English in order to save a fucking file

I don't demand anybody to do anything, I said that if you don't use an english language these are problems you might encounter.

RGeezy911 wrote:First, by saying that foreigners shouldn't be allowed an "easy way out" and must switch to English simply means, "Our language is superior because it can change their lives, therefore they must never go back to their cultural ways lest they become further inferior to the world."

Secondly, by saying Africans should be placed in a factory to work for a "Western Businessman" in an attempt to better their country simply means, "Our language and our country are far superior then yours, therefore you shall work for me in an attempt to better your already inferior lives." What makes your quote even worse is the fact that you've already painted Africans (as a whole) as inferior by labeling them as "Starving."

I think it's better for the education of childeren to play videogames in English as it will help them gain a level of English prior to going to college. If you translate the game the translation will be easier then English so the childeren will choose the 'easy way out'. Again, not forcing anybody to do anything. I'm just saying that raising your kids with an international point of view might benefit their future.
And why would I give starving Africans a job? because the ones that aren't starving are doing fine for themselves. Offcourse 'starving African' is a figure of speech and I would start my 'experiment' with one village to see whether the concept works but I think that getting them a job would be best thing I could do for them. I then think it would help if a western businessman who is already experienced at growing crops effeciently would be the best person to guide them, so they won't have to start from srcatch.
User avatar
xander
level5
level5
Posts: 16869
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:41 pm
Location: Highland, CA, USA
Contact:

Re: [Attention] The problem with saving the game

Postby xander » Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:55 pm

RGeezy911 wrote:It might be this: International Baccalaureate

I searched IB course subject into Google, so I'm not sure if that's it or not.

Ah. He is a teenager with an inflated sense of himself and an opinion. Groovy.

Protip: In the real world, no one cares what you did as college prep. Very few people care what you do as an undergraduate. Get through some anthropology and sociology; invest some time into understanding world systems theory; read Kipling; and, most of all, take some time to mature a bit. I had some pretty embarrassingly terrible ideas when I was in high school, too. Most of us grow out of that, and have the good sense to feel bad about it.

xander
rlgjiojgboirtjnb
level2
level2
Posts: 84
Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:30 am

Re: [Attention] The problem with saving the game

Postby rlgjiojgboirtjnb » Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:31 pm

Oh wtf, he really is 17 doing some preschool thing and using that as proof of his arguments? This is either a troll or a real 17 year old.

I thought he means International Business Relationships or some other derivative of a (real) university course. Lol, my bad :)

Nvm then, hes even more clueless than i figured, lol. But nice that your doing a pre uni education(no irony here!), that's really worth mentioning as reasoning for your arguments(lots of irony here!)! You know, my arguments are all rock solid, i took colouring in kindergarden and was real good at it!(Even more irony here!!!)

And tbh i dont care what you believe you have seen (even though its really funny writing, "i wont tell you about the suicide of my father" thats a neat level of irony (or sarkasm?) right here) or think have experienced. I judge you by the stuff you write here and only by that. Everything else i cant check and wouldnt care to check if i could.

But if your really 17, then please, again, think about it real hard. Random people without connection think your a racist from the stuff you write, so think about what and how you write!!! Esp. if your planning of going to Uni later on, its pretty important there to be able to express oneself properly WITHOUT sounding like a racist (tbh thats kinda an essential skill anywhere, racists arent liked much nowadays).

PS: And the "hidden" threat "bad things will happen" had me actually laughing out so hard that i had mini tears in my eyes. Still rofling...... That post was so much gold....damn i love internet entertainment. I mean PA is a great game, but this stuff.....
User avatar
knoest26
level5
level5
Posts: 1380
Joined: Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:55 pm
Location: The Netherlands
Contact:

Re: [Attention] The problem with saving the game

Postby knoest26 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:23 am

I'm not going to admit that I'm racist because that's not the truth, you're not going to admit that you were wrong. In the end feelings are relative and and precieved in am unpredicatble way. I know I'm not racist but if something I wrote made you think I was, then I'm sorry, that wasn't my intention. If whatever you believe makes you the happiest you should follow that, for me that's all that matter and what I'm doing at the moment.

And for all the advise, thanks but I'll have it go in one ear and out through the other. I try to be open and learn from critism but I guess the internet isn't the right place to learn from.
metalfreak03
level0
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:35 pm

Re: [Attention] The problem with saving the game

Postby metalfreak03 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:45 pm

On topic: There isn't a problem with saving the game, it's just it doesn't save it in non-latin characters. So the simple answer: Save it in roman characters.
So simple.

Off topic and this debate:
You are all ganging up on this one user for the apparent 'racist' comments he made.

I can assure you racism and the definition over the years has become very very very lightly used. And your using it in the wrong manner.

Look up Combat 18, that's racist.*
Read his comment again. Then understand.

Now stop with the stupid argument.

*Just in case you cannot read properly: They use violence to hate on immigrants, blacks and jews. That is racist. Saying someone is black to someone else isn't.

PS: The users ganging up on the other one. Troll or not, that is considered bullying and that is actual used correctly.
esdee
level1
level1
Posts: 27
Joined: Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:38 am

Re: [Attention] The problem with saving the game

Postby esdee » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:59 pm

Any ETA on this to be fixed? I know its alpha and all, and devs don't focus on bug fixes that much, but it would be nice to be atleast able to play the game.
User avatar
xander
level5
level5
Posts: 16869
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:41 pm
Location: Highland, CA, USA
Contact:

Re: [Attention] The problem with saving the game

Postby xander » Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:00 am

esdee wrote:Any ETA on this to be fixed? I know its alpha and all, and devs don't focus on bug fixes that much, but it would be nice to be atleast able to play the game.

The developers have not commented on it. In the meantime, I believe that one can work around the problem by creating a new user account without any non-Latin characters in it.

xander

Return to “General”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests