[Attention] The problem with saving the game

General chit-chat and minor questions about just about anything

Moderator: NBJeff

lovrus
level0
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:05 pm

[Attention] The problem with saving the game

Postby lovrus » Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:11 pm

[English]
The problem with saving the game.
1. Can not save the game when there Cyrillic profile! It is the largest school of developers very much hope that in the near future it will be corrected.
2. Very poor performance with large numbers of NPC game wedge.
3. No Russian translation

I really hope that the developers will fix problem with saving!
I apologize for the bad translation of the text.


[Russian] Проблема с сохранение игры.
1. Невозможно сохранить игру когда присутствует кириллица в профиле! Это САМЫЙ большой косяк разработчиков, очень надеюсь что в скором будущем это будет исправлено.
2. Очень слабая производительность, при большом количестве NPC игра клинит.
3. Отсутствует русский перевод

Очень надеюсь что разработчики исправят проблемы с сохранениями!
Заранее приношу извинения за плохой перевод текста.
igor o
level0
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:55 pm

Re: [Attention] The problem with saving the game

Postby igor o » Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:02 pm

Russian players can not save the game. Add support for Cyrillic (а, б, в, г, д, etc.), or select the path to save.

Русские игроки не могут сохранить игру. Добавьте поддержку Кириллицы (а, б, в, г, д и т.д.) или выбрать путь сохранения.
Master-Guy
level2
level2
Posts: 125
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:55 pm

Re: [Attention] The problem with saving the game

Postby Master-Guy » Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:15 pm

No offence to anyone, but sometimes I wish Microsoft hadn't added the Cyrillic characters to Windows at all.
Everywhere I look, no matter what game, there is a lot of chat going on in Cyrillic characters, even though they are all West European servers..


Back ontopic:
Since I'm not sure how the OS works for you, if you want to go to C:\users, do you go to C:\users, or do you go to something in Cyrillic characters?
If it's the last, it's gonna be a lot harder to fix. Adding a new characterset to an application isn't that easy.

Another thing that could help the developers:
If you open explorer, and navigate to %localappdata%, what does it show in the address bar?
User avatar
xander
level5
level5
Posts: 16869
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:41 pm
Location: Highland, CA, USA
Contact:

Re: [Attention] The problem with saving the game

Postby xander » Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:25 pm

Master-Guy wrote:No offence to anyone, but sometimes I wish Microsoft hadn't added the Cyrillic characters to Windows at all.
Everywhere I look, no matter what game, there is a lot of chat going on in Cyrillic characters, even though they are all West European servers.

How else would you suggest that people who do not speak English access their computers? Localization is important. IV is doing a poor job of supporting non-Enlish languages right now. Hopefully, they will deal with this eventually (their previous games seems to do okay, at least with respect to the issue of saving and opening games in directories with non-Latin or accented characters).

xander
User avatar
knoest26
level5
level5
Posts: 1380
Joined: Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:55 pm
Location: The Netherlands
Contact:

Re: [Attention] The problem with saving the game

Postby knoest26 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:26 pm

xander wrote:
Master-Guy wrote:No offence to anyone, but sometimes I wish Microsoft hadn't added the Cyrillic characters to Windows at all.
Everywhere I look, no matter what game, there is a lot of chat going on in Cyrillic characters, even though they are all West European servers.

How else would you suggest that people who do not speak English access their computers? Localization is important. IV is doing a poor job of supporting non-Enlish languages right now. Hopefully, they will deal with this eventually (their previous games seems to do okay, at least with respect to the issue of saving and opening games in directories with non-Latin or accented characters).

xander

In all honesty I think the ability to speak english should be basic skill, I don't understand why some people won't accept the fact that world works in english. I'm Dutch but I go to a special school to become a native English speaker as it will help me in my further career. I would actually consider translating the game a bad idea as it would give foreigners an 'easy way out' so they can go back to their native language.

On topic though, you're probably screwed unless you choose to install your OS in a 'normal' character language
User avatar
xander
level5
level5
Posts: 16869
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:41 pm
Location: Highland, CA, USA
Contact:

Re: [Attention] The problem with saving the game

Postby xander » Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:49 pm

knoest26 wrote:In all honesty I think the ability to speak english should be basic skill, I don't understand why some people won't accept the fact that world works in english.

That is, quite frankly, kind of offensive. Most people in the world have absolutely no use for English---they don't do business in English speaking countries. Arguing that English should be a requirement for all players of video games is insane. One should not have to learn another language just to save a file or play a game. Moreover, as much as the world "works" in English, if you support other languages, then you stand to make more money by selling to people who do not speak or write in English. From any point of view, IV's poor support of non-English characters is a shame.

knoest26 wrote:I'm Dutch but I go to a special school to become a native English speaker as it will help me in my further career. I would actually consider translating the game a bad idea as it would give foreigners an 'easy way out' so they can go back to their native language.

Do you have any idea how offensive and disrespectful this is? I find it especially perverse, considering how you feel about Introversion disrespecting their customers.

xander
User avatar
knoest26
level5
level5
Posts: 1380
Joined: Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:55 pm
Location: The Netherlands
Contact:

Re: [Attention] The problem with saving the game

Postby knoest26 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:18 pm

xander wrote:
knoest26 wrote:In all honesty I think the ability to speak english should be basic skill, I don't understand why some people won't accept the fact that world works in english.

That is, quite frankly, kind of offensive. Most people in the world have absolutely no use for English---they don't do business in English speaking countries. Arguing that English should be a requirement for all players of video games is insane. One should not have to learn another language just to save a file or play a game. Moreover, as much as the world "works" in English, if you support other languages, then you stand to make more money by selling to people who do not speak or write in English. From any point of view, IV's poor support of non-English characters is a shame.

knoest26 wrote:I'm Dutch but I go to a special school to become a native English speaker as it will help me in my further career. I would actually consider translating the game a bad idea as it would give foreigners an 'easy way out' so they can go back to their native language.

Do you have any idea how offensive and disrespectful this is? I find it especially perverse, considering how you feel about Introversion disrespecting their customers.

xander

I don't see how this is disrespectful or offensive?
Why not divide the forum in different languages so non-English people can post in their native language? This is a forum where English is being spoken/written, so is the game. I feel like English games helps you build a multicultural opinion.

Take Germany vs. The Netherlands, in the Netherlands all foreign shows have subtitles and even kids channels switch to English after 9PM. In Germany they voice over everything, even interviews. The average German can only speak German and a bit of English while the averaga Dutchman speaks Dutch, German, English and a bit of French.

Do I think Russians deserve not being able to save their game? No, not at all. I'm just defending the fact that it's normal for modern games to only support English.

In the end it's Introversions fault that Russians can't save their game because Introversion released it to a massive audience which they aren't capable of handling.

The link you gave me leads to my own profile, I know who I am, no need to show that
User avatar
xander
level5
level5
Posts: 16869
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:41 pm
Location: Highland, CA, USA
Contact:

Re: [Attention] The problem with saving the game

Postby xander » Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:50 am

knoest26 wrote:I don't see how this is disrespectful or offensive?

Perhaps it is something that I am (overly?) sensitive to as an American, but many on the political Right in this country like to talk about making English the official national language as a way of promoting racist agenda. Demanding that people use an English localization of their operating system in order to play a game smacks of that kind of ethno-centrism and subtle racism.

But, honestly, at the end of the day, the issue isn't that IV don't translate the game themselves. No one expects that. It is not entirely unreasonable to say "Hey, we don't speak French, so we'll release the game in English, and y'all can make do." The issue that the game won't even run correctly if the operating system isn't configured to work in English. Even English speaking players in non-English speaking countries are excluded from the game because the save and load system is *broken*.

You are essentially arguing that if anyone wants to use a computer, anywhere in the world, they should be first required to learn English. That's just crazy.

knoest26 wrote:The link you gave me leads to my own profile, I know who I am, no need to show that

Sorry, I meant to link to this: viewtopic.php?p=554327#p554327

xander
User avatar
knoest26
level5
level5
Posts: 1380
Joined: Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:55 pm
Location: The Netherlands
Contact:

Re: [Attention] The problem with saving the game

Postby knoest26 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:51 am

xander wrote:many on the political Right in this country like to talk about making English the official national language as a way of promoting racist agenda

Still sounds like just a way to make the economy prosper, like we use international currency (EURO). If everyone spoke English you would have a much more open economy
xander wrote:Sorry, I meant to link to this: viewtopic.php?p=554327#p554327

Still not sure what you meant to tell me with that topic but oke

Back on topic, I agree that these 'special' characters should be added some point, or at least a way to work around it. Not something that should be done immediatly though. To this is a prime example of what I meant; if you want to fully utilies life English is an important factor, if you don't use it you won't be able to opt into these special projects.
User avatar
xander
level5
level5
Posts: 16869
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:41 pm
Location: Highland, CA, USA
Contact:

Re: [Attention] The problem with saving the game

Postby xander » Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:04 am

knoest26 wrote:
xander wrote:many on the political Right in this country like to talk about making English the official national language as a way of promoting racist agenda

Still sounds like just a way to make the economy prosper, like we use international currency (EURO). If everyone spoke English you would have a much more open economy

Well, thank you for clarifying exactly what kind of person you are.

knoest26 wrote:
xander wrote:Sorry, I meant to link to this: viewtopic.php?p=554327#p554327

Still not sure what you meant to tell me with that topic but oke

In that topic, you seem very concerned about a humourous, entirely factious insult to the players. Yet in this topic, you are utterly unconcerned with an actual "Fuck you" to players who do not run an English language operating system. I find the contrast rather perverse.

knoest26 wrote:Back on topic, I agree that these 'special' characters should be added some point, or at least a way to work around it. Not something that should be done immediatly though. To this is a prime example of what I meant; if you want to fully utilies life English is an important factor, if you don't use it you won't be able to opt into these special projects.

I'm with you right up to the point that you start grinding that political axe.

xander
User avatar
knoest26
level5
level5
Posts: 1380
Joined: Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:55 pm
Location: The Netherlands
Contact:

Re: [Attention] The problem with saving the game

Postby knoest26 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:23 am

xander wrote:Well, thank you for clarifying exactly what kind of person you are.

I'm assuming you mean what kind of politcal party I prefer, I couldn't care less about American politics. I believe that in end, no matter how you choose, they have boxed themselves in with so many laws there is no way they will change anything and I like the way it is right now so I'm fine with that.
xander wrote:In that topic, you seem very concerned about a humourous, entirely factious insult to the players. Yet in this topic, you are utterly unconcerned with an actual "Fuck you" to players who do not run an English language operating system. I find the contrast rather perverse.

Right, now I see what you meant. I was actually talking about how they spend their time, on one hand I would love for them to work on it 24/7, on the other hand I admire the work they have done and want them to enjoy their success. But I don't know them personnally so I wouldn't mind if they would be locked up in a room working on prison architect at the cost of their (social) life.
knoest26 wrote:Back on topic, I agree that these 'special' characters should be added some point, or at least a way to work around it. Not something that should be done immediatly though. To this is a prime example of what I meant; if you want to fully utilies life English is an important factor, if you don't use it you won't be able to opt into these special projects.

I'm with you right up to the point that you start grinding that political axe.[/quote]
Again, I'm not trying to be political. I just have a very weird opinion, like I would like to put all starving African in a big factory, not because I want to exploit them for my own benefit, but because I believe they need a function economy and for that you need to export items in which you have specialised to maximize profit and then import other materials other countries have specialized in. We Dutch people buy German cars and sell beer and Tv's, not because we can't make cars but because the Germans are better at it and that way we create an economy in which we all prosper. It's just more effecient If you harvest all the food and your neighbour does construction then to both do a little of both
RGeezy911
level5
level5
Posts: 1098
Joined: Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:21 pm

Re: [Attention] The problem with saving the game

Postby RGeezy911 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:34 am

knoest26 wrote:Attempting to find the Universe...

Universe Found!

I would like to put all starving African in a big factory, not because I want to exploit them for my own benefit, but because I believe they need a function economy and for that you need to export items in which you have specialised to maximize profit and then import other materials other countries have specialized in. We Dutch people buy German cars and sell beer and Tv's, not because we can't make cars but because the Germans are better at it and that way we create an economy in which we all prosper. It's just more effecient If you harvest all the food and your neighbour does construction then to both do a little of both

Universe Incinerated!

Image
Last edited by RGeezy911 on Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar
xander
level5
level5
Posts: 16869
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:41 pm
Location: Highland, CA, USA
Contact:

Re: [Attention] The problem with saving the game

Postby xander » Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:02 am

knoest26 wrote:Again, I'm not trying to be political.

But you are being political.

knoest26 wrote:I just have a very weird opinion...

If by weird, you mean racist, yes. You have weird opinion.

knoest26 wrote:...like I would like to put all starving African in a big factory, not because I want to exploit them for my own benefit, but because I believe they need a function economy and for that you need to export items in which you have specialised to maximize profit and then import other materials other countries have specialized in. We Dutch people buy German cars and sell beer and Tv's, not because we can't make cars but because the Germans are better at it and that way we create an economy in which we all prosper. It's just more effecient If you harvest all the food and your neighbour does construction then to both do a little of both

...

Wow.

xander
User avatar
paktsardines
level5
level5
Posts: 1752
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:10 am
Location: Australia

Re: [Attention] The problem with saving the game

Postby paktsardines » Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:15 am

My morbid curiousity wants to know what product knoest26's factory of starving Africans is intended to produce?
User avatar
xander
level5
level5
Posts: 16869
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:41 pm
Location: Highland, CA, USA
Contact:

Re: [Attention] The problem with saving the game

Postby xander » Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:24 am

paktsardines wrote:My morbid curiousity wants to know what product knoest26's factory of starving Africans is intended to produce?

Pumas.

xander

Return to “General”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 16 guests