Reddit Ask Me Anything with Mark and Chris

General chit-chat and minor questions about just about anything

Moderator: NBJeff

Should we do a regular AMA on Reddit a week after our alpha launches?

Yes
92%
No
8%

Total votes: 214
Mark
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Reddit Ask Me Anything with Mark and Chris

Postby Mark » Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:55 pm

*** NEXT REDDIT AMA WILL BE 1800 BST on WEDNESDAY 9th OCT ***

1700 BST on 3rd September 2013:

Was a great success. We loved doing it and you can see the results here: http://redd.it/1lncni

We're thinking we may do this as a regular thing a week after each alpha launch. If this is something you would be interested in please tell us. Also if you have any other comments (timing etc) just reply to this thread.
Alex_D20
level0

Re: Reddit Ask Me Anything with Mark and Chris

Postby Alex_D20 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:01 pm

Hello! Good! But, the question is still unanswered:

Translation related question: when will be able to use accented characters?

:)
Neddleson
level1
level1

Postby Neddleson » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:06 pm

So gutted I missed it :( what kind of things were answered, anyone?
HereticAngel
level0

Postby HereticAngel » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:41 pm

So gutted I missed it :( what kind of things were answered, anyone?

To many to list. Just see the AMA for yourself ;)

And I think it would be really awesome if these kind of AMA's could be conducted more regularly, as i think it's a nice way for the community to get to know the devs, and the other way around.
Also, when i browse the forums i often see posts about people who feel that there could be a bit more community/dev contact. And this might be a good way to do that, even if it's just for an hour after each
update or so. It's also a good way to get a definite answer on many of the questions circling around on the forums, like will there be guard towers, and multiple floors ?

I'd personally be strongly in favour of seeing this more often.
acealeam
level0

Postby acealeam » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:19 pm

I can't think of a downside. Should be fun.
Neddleson
level1
level1

Postby Neddleson » Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:27 pm

Who are these 6 people who didn't want it?!
honestkiddy
level0

Postby honestkiddy » Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:47 pm

Don't really use reddit much, but I think this idea is good. Btw where could I give my suggestions on the game?
Really want the game to include the name in game generated characters in random new comings of the prisoners. Also would like to have prisoners who have different types of relationship with one another. (I submitted a prisoner bio that seemingly had a grudge with another of the generated prisoner, would be nice to really have that happening)
VoiD88
level5
level5

Postby VoiD88 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:38 pm

I like the idea in general, but I'm not very happy with how reddit presents itself... maybe it's just because I'm not used to using reddit but I'm having a hard time getting relevant info of Chris and Mark from in between all the unanswered comments thrown in the mix. Maybe someone could copy/paste all the answered questions (and the answers of course) into a more ordered compilation for those of us who are a little clumsy when it comes to reddit?
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:31 pm

Can I suggest, instead, a once-in-a-while forum Q&A thread? Like VoiD88, I don't really get reddit, and find it confusing. Basically, I am old, and fear change.

xander
paktsardines
level5
level5

Postby paktsardines » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:24 am

+1 for occasional Q&A thread.
GC13
level2
level2

Postby GC13 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:28 am

xander wrote:Can I suggest, instead, a once-in-a-while forum Q&A thread? Like VoiD88, I don't really get reddit, and find it confusing. Basically, I am old, and fear change.
Reddit's not actually anything new. It uses on old-style threaded message board format; its only innovation is that the rep system attached to individual posts as well as the poster.

I'm definitely more in favor of the modern message board format. I've said it before and I'll say it again: perhaps a post, roughly weekly, about what's being worked on and why it's so fun to be working on it? Really does a lot to keep people in the loop: we're so hungry for that sort of thing.
Jordy...
level5
level5

Postby Jordy... » Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:11 pm

GC13 wrote:
xander wrote:Can I suggest, instead, a once-in-a-while forum Q&A thread? Like VoiD88, I don't really get reddit, and find it confusing. Basically, I am old, and fear change.
Reddit's not actually anything new. It uses on old-style threaded message board format; its only innovation is that the rep system attached to individual posts as well as the poster.

I'm definitely more in favor of the modern message board format. I've said it before and I'll say it again: perhaps a post, roughly weekly, about what's being worked on and why it's so fun to be working on it? Really does a lot to keep people in the loop: we're so hungry for that sort of thing.

Why REDDIT? I cannot access reddit and I don't want too, what is wrong with these forums?!
cde
level2
level2

Postby cde » Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:06 pm

On one hand I can't sympathise with people who say "oh noes I don't like Reddit so let's not use it" - it's an open, public, anonymous space where any users can find and join the discussion, using an identity that can't be connected with their presence on these forums (if they even have one).

However, a regular AMA? That's kind of... not the point of an AMA. You don't see Reddit filled with threads like "I'm still Ricky Gervais, ask me the same questions all over again!".

And having an AMA-like thread on here is not visible to a wider audience.

Why not just use forums and http://www.reddit.com/r/prisonarchitect and ask/expect Chris and Mark to join the discussions where they can help. That's how pretty much any other community-engaged devs connect with users, and means that we can get answers, have off-the-cuff bits of info, and still let them go quiet and get on with coding when the schedule is busy. People who want collated info could work on a "What we know" wiki, such as http://www.reddit.com/r/GameDeals/wiki/index

tl;dr: No, but not because I don't think dev-community chatting is a good idea...

[Edit - removed double negative :/]
redd
level1
level1

Postby redd » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:54 am

I actually voted yes, but after reading cde's comment I wonder exactly why I did so. Very convincing sir.
prototype
level1
level1

Postby prototype » Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:09 pm

Prefer some forum interaction above reddit.
I will most likely not be there at the time you guys have an AMA because I am not willing to be there at a specific time.
So I highly prefer some way of communication that allows me to do so when I feel the time is right.

Return to “General”