Maximum number of inmates

General chit-chat and minor questions about just about anything

Moderator: NBJeff

kaysik
level0

Maximum number of inmates

Postby kaysik » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:42 am

I've been playing the game for about a fortnight now and had a blast. After a few failed attempts I've now setup a prison I'm pretty happy with. I have cells for 100 inmates, and thanks to a large numberplate workshop I've had the cash to setup the prison so that everyone's needs are met. I keep waiting for the prison to fill up before buying an adjacent plot to expand into but my prisoner count seems to sit between 60 and 70 prisoners and never gets any larger. The amount of prisoners arriving is basically matching the amount of prisoners being released at this point. Is there any way to request more? Or is that kind of it and it's just about making my prison cooler rather than larger now?

(PS. I've read the rules on posting to alpha forum etc, but I since I'm just asking how to increase my inmate population in the game in general and not posting anything alpha specific like suggestion/bug I feel it's appropriate here. Feel free to disagree though.)
Trollitito
level1
level1

Postby Trollitito » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:04 am

I would like to help you, but i'm in the same situation as you, but my prison inmates goes from 75 to 90 while my prison capicity is 110.

I do have the intake of prisoners opened for all the securities, but i might try close the min and med security and let only the max security opened because usually max security prisoners have a longer sentence. Maybe try that if you didn't, it could help a little bit. Other than that, i think there isn't other solution, but i could be wrong, so let's see other answers.
tfm
level0

Postby tfm » Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:48 pm

Similar problem here. Today: 180 cells, 163 prisoners which I was only able to achieve by cheating with the ".prison" file so as to increase the daily intake to 80 at a time.

I am only at 1am but already showing 14 due for release and (unless I mod the ".prison" file again) a much smaller number due to arrive at 8am.

Mind you, the game runs like a lame slug at this size of prison. On an i7-3820 clocked at 4.4Ghz with a GTX 780, I'm getting - what - about 4 fps after it's been running for a while? It's not good, but less bad, below ~90 prisoners.

So possibly this "intake deficit" is a good way of keeping the maximum size of a prison to manageable proportions.
_alphaBeta_
level4
level4

Postby _alphaBeta_ » Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:31 pm

Does it matter how many types of prisoners you're open to? Sometimes I have 8 prisoners arriving the next day, and other times it's 15.

Seems like the prison sentence progression should be slowed down a bit. Or, as was said, perhaps the current rate serves as a natural max prisoner cap until the optimizations are in place to remove lag.
RuneRifle
level0

Postby RuneRifle » Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:40 pm

Looks like it's random between 8 and 15
Jackinator
level1
level1

Postby Jackinator » Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:51 pm

I don't think slowing down the release rate will work. The big exodus only would take a bit longer in the beginning...

A good solution in my opinion is to increase the number of prisoners arriving every day and to not randomize it, because the more prisoners you have, the higher the number of releases. That can't work if 20 of 100 people are leaving, but only 8 arrive the next morning thanks to the randomizer.

That is, of course, a problem, if you want to keep your prison capacity low and/or constant.
GC13
level2
level2

Postby GC13 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:15 pm

The amount of prisoners you take in can't be influenced by opening yourself to more types: they'll just send you the same amount but with three different colors of shirts.

Slowing down the release rate would help. Let's assume that all prisoners serve ten-year sentences now, and we alter it to twenty years.

Well, it's true that the eight guys you get would still all leave on the same day, but you would have gotten ten more days of prisoners while they were still there, and they would still have lots of time on their sentences.

Sentences are random, but it's the same way: sure, every prisoner has to leave eventually, but the longer their sentences are, the longer your steady amount of prisoners. Doubling the sentence length (or halving the rate at which sentences count down) doubles the steady state prisoner quantity as you're only releasing half as many each day, so you need twice as many prisoners before you're on average releasing as many as you take in.
_alphaBeta_
level4
level4

Postby _alphaBeta_ » Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:19 pm

The sentences seem like they make sense of the crime (for the most part). I'd just slow the rate that sentence time passes with respect to real-time.
VIPERGTSR01
level1
level1

Postby VIPERGTSR01 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:46 am

_alphaBeta_ wrote:The sentences seem like they make sense of the crime (for the most part). I'd just slow the rate that sentence time passes with respect to real-time.

Yep

for now I just take on maximum security prisoners and I haven't had a problem getting enough yet. I do have to top up a lot though.
Novbert
level2
level2

Postby Novbert » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:43 am

VIPERGTSR01 wrote:for now I just take on maximum security prisoners and I haven't had a problem getting enough yet. I do have to top up a lot though.

Same here. Sentences of some of those bad guy span well above the 100 year mark, thus I think that enabling intake only for the redshirts should definitely solve any problem with empty cells in the long run.
kaysik
level0

Postby kaysik » Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:49 am

Since I started this topic I have gone back and closed down the intake of low and medium risk prisoners and now about 3/4 of my prison population are high risk inmates - and I have 110 of them. So that's definitely helped.

Once I've got rid of the last few medium security guys I'll probably hit the 120 to 130 mark I expect. Right now I've used up pretty much the entire space so I might need to expand my land area to fit the last 10 or 20 guys in their own cells. Also depending on how many super long term prisoners you get it might go even higher ... not entirely sure how long the average sentence length is for the red shirts but depending on how many 100 year prisoners you get, that'll help boost the final population limit. I'll see how long it keeps rising for!
Novbert
level2
level2

Postby Novbert » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:03 am

Setting up intake for redshirts only definitely helps. Now I have 200 of them and still counting.
Novbert
level2
level2

Postby Novbert » Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:12 am

Okay, now it seems that 200 is the natural limit of population - you can't really get above that, even by accepting maximum security ones only....
kthor
level1
level1

Postby kthor » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:12 pm

stick with max prisoners ...you'll get to 200 quickier ... wish you can adjust how much prisoners you can take in ... most prisoner intake i had was like 24 few times, but mostly 8
_alphaBeta_
level4
level4

Postby _alphaBeta_ » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:32 pm

kthor wrote:stick with max prisoners ...you'll get to 200 quickier ... wish you can adjust how much prisoners you can take in ... most prisoner intake i had was like 24 few times, but mostly 8

You can actually, but you need to edit the savegame. I don't have the line that needs changing handy, but some searching will get you there. That's the only way people are having massive prisoners counts since the Alpha that let prisoners be released. Honestly, I don't know how these people are even running these prisons since the performance issues catch up with me pretty quick unless I save/load every few minutes.

Return to “General”