Suggestions; Genders & Fixing up the users' typos

General chit-chat and minor questions about just about anything

Moderator: NBJeff

Which of the suggestions would you like to see?

1. Genders for prisoners
31%
2. Fixing of typos/grammar
20%
Both
26%
Neither
23%

Total votes: 65
Cherrylin
level0

Suggestions; Genders & Fixing up the users' typos

Postby Cherrylin » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:13 pm

Hi everyone! ^^
I have two suggestions, and hoping I'm posting in the right forums;

1. Genders for prisoners
So, having bought the 'name in the game' version and being a female player, I realized that there (as far as I've seen) are no female prisoners in the game; but there are female visitors, I noticed, so I also figured it shouldn't be that hard to code. I thought it could be neat if the percentage of female prisoners also matched with real life statestics, and people who made a prisoner for the game should get the selection of which gender the prisoner would be.

2. Fix the typos/grammar issues in the usermade prisoners
Hoping to not sound like some grammar nazi, I personally hope that the developers will fix some of these descriptions up before releasing the game. It's not anything personal or something I blame on anyone, it's just the brief point that I think it looks a tad.. unprofessional..? That some of the prisoners' descriptions are barely read-able. I don't want them to fix what it says of course. Just change (no direct sample, this is an example I just made up) ''wuld kll ur pet bunny'' to ''would kill your pet-bunny''.

(Again I want to clarify, before someone bites off my head, that no offense is meant and I'm aware not everyone natively speaks English, that typos happen, that my own grammar isn't perfect ...)
--

What do you guys think?
NeatNit
level5
level5

Postby NeatNit » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:23 pm

About typos: the game's alpha state means that these things are the last thing that needs to be done. This kind of thing is fixed during beta, and I assure you that the game will not be officially released with descriptions in this state. Even Chris' description is currently "Toodloooooo test 3".

About female prisoners: Generally prisons never mix female and male prisoners in real life. That's mostly because of rape I believe (but I have never read about it so I wouldn't know). However, I do believe some prisons have female and male prisoners on separate grounds, usually in a completely separate structure with completely separate everything. In other words, it's a whole other prison. Maybe guards have duties on both but it's a different prison.

So maybe female prisoners would appear but a single prison should have to be either male only or female only. Personally, I don't care if this gets implemented or not.
MAdMaN
level4
level4

Postby MAdMaN » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:24 pm

While I would like to see both before the game is released, at this stage in development they're probably right at the bottom of the priority list.
thekillergreece
level4
level4

Postby thekillergreece » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:21 pm

Typos and grammatical errors are not so that important in alpha nor beta..
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:21 pm

thekillergreece wrote:Typos and grammatical errors are not so that important in alpha nor beta..

At Introversion, I am pretty sure that they don't refer to "typos" nor "grammatical errors." I think that they are called "Easter eggs."

xander
christhekiller
level3
level3

Postby christhekiller » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:12 pm

Maybe in a later update, possibly Beta or something they'll add the ability to decide which gender you want your prison to accept? So when you first start your prison it'll give you the choice. Idk. Or if they wanna ditch the realistic route then just randomly mix the genders
Jackdapantyrip
level4
level4

Postby Jackdapantyrip » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:21 pm

I personally think the bio's need more guidance and rules in how they're written. But I do also enjoy reading the different ways people interpreted to write it..

If it was more similar to Dwarf fortress descriptions.

He walks around with a grizzled look and has had a broken nose from a previous fight He has a scar on his upper lip which had been split. One of his eyes only slightly drifts as he speaks. etc..
hugeknight
level1
level1

Postby hugeknight » Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:12 pm

neither because honestly im not gonna build a chick prison (cause theres no difference gamewise just extra "bumps") and id like to see other stuff first. you know like fight clubs, drugs, arson, tunneling, guards that run, gaurds beating prisoners on my order, rape, hostage, planned riots, gangs, execution, guns, force feeding, torture, forced labour, dirty gaurds, undercover gaurds, military prisoners, basketball baseball and soccer in yard, shivving, murder investigation, interrogation, seperate schedules for max sec and gen pop etc.......

you just the normal stuff
misterFox
level0

Postby misterFox » Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:32 pm

Genders would definitely be fun to see.
spartanlemur
level0

Postby spartanlemur » Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:39 pm

Two things which irritated me upon starting the game actually.

The grammar issues are a concern, as I saw one prisoner bio including "could of", for example. Also, some peoples' bios claim murder yet they're in jail for assault (I'm getting a little OT here, but I hope to see bios go through quality control before they get accepted for the final release).

Indeed female prisons are something I'd like to see (perhaps due to the recent release of OiTNB on Netflix), and they'd be a very different experience I'd expect too. I'd think a psychologist to be more useful in a women's prison than an infirmary, because men are more aggressive and less reliant on social groups (going by differences Wikipedia lists). It would also be interesting to have to deal with pregnancies in some unique way.

I doubt it would take a huge amount of work to add. A few unique systems, new graphics and bios would be all it would need, and it would certainly increase replayability further.

Actually, the ability to create womens' prisons was the first thing I felt was missing when I launched the game XD
I'm very much hoping it gets added at some point!

(also, forgive me if I've missed this, but I couldn't spot any female guards in the game? This is quite inaccurate, as female guards do indeed serve in male prisons!)
ssaowner
level1
level1

Postby ssaowner » Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:57 am

NeatNit wrote: Even Chris' description is currently "Toodloooooo test 3"

His description is kinda funny cause he's dissapearing out of jail while his description is toodlooooo test 3
Dan7794
level1
level1

Postby Dan7794 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:28 pm

Yes it is not that hard to code but to edit those figures you need to decompile the main prison architect .exe file. And to give this code to others would mean redistributing the main .exe which you are not allowed to do!

Grammar is the better choice if you did that i would be happy!
NeatNit
level5
level5

Postby NeatNit » Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:10 pm

Dan7794 wrote:Yes it is not that hard to code but to edit those figures you need to decompile the main prison architect .exe file. And to give this code to others would mean redistributing the main .exe which you are not allowed to do!

Grammar is the better choice if you did that i would be happy!
I've no idea what you're talking about but just fyi if someone REALLY wants to distribute a changed .exe and stay legal, he could make a patcher that makes the changes to an existing .exe.
Last edited by NeatNit on Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bluestrike15
level1
level1

Postby bluestrike15 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:51 pm

Still under the impression that anyone who wants to see female prisoners just want to look at the showers all day. I dont see the advantage of having different genders. All i can think of is that they will look different. After that the prisoners will act the same as their male counterparts.

As for the grammar and typo's.... YES
=P
spartanlemur
level0

Postby spartanlemur » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:25 pm

bluestrike15 wrote:Still under the impression that anyone who wants to see female prisoners just want to look at the showers all day. I dont see the advantage of having different genders. All i can think of is that they will look different. After that the prisoners will act the same as their male counterparts.

Right, because staring at flat 2d shapes with a single fill colour is so incredibly arousing...

Primarily it'd just be a simple addition to mix things up a bit. It would be an "easy mode" seeing as women are generally far less violent than men, meaning less disorder and there could be the unique issue of managing pregnancies.

It wouldn't be hugely different from a male prison, but it would offer a slightly different experience for people who want it, and would certainly be a welcome addition to a game which is going to be played by both men and women.

Return to “General”