I want to buy PA, but I've got a question.

General chit-chat and minor questions about just about anything

Moderator: NBJeff

Xavier Horovitz
level0

I want to buy PA, but I've got a question.

Postby Xavier Horovitz » Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:14 am

As of now, I can run this game fairly well. I know that games like this wind up taking a nice big chunk of processing power, and I was wondering if it would be a safe buy. That is to say, can I purchase the game and expect to not have performance take horrific hits update after update? I get that sometimes things go wrong, but I figure the long-term goal is to make the game run even better than it does now.

It's just one bit of absolute reassurance I need before I drop 30 on this epic game.
TooDAMNMuch
level1
level1

Postby TooDAMNMuch » Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:32 am

not quite sure how to interpret what you've wrote, so i'll try to answer both ways i see it in turn.

performance during updating:
it depends on a lot of things really, whether or not you use steam to update it or direct downloads from the alpha site, steam can be a large overhead on lower end machines for sure, personally if you already use steam and aren't bothered by it i'd say you should be fine, if your internet is online all the time it'll typically update and patch itself in the background without much of anything for you to notice.

performance improvements due to updates:
well we've had an update or two so far that made performance a bit better and currently from what i'm aware is not the focus of what the developers are intending to work on, but it is improving from my point of view on the subject, slowly at the moment for sure but at some point performance updates and bug fixes will eventually be the priority over adding new features.
Xavier Horovitz
level0

Postby Xavier Horovitz » Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:49 am

I did word it pretty poorly. Let me try again:

Would I have to fear a potential update that dropped performance so much that the game became unplayable? (lower than say 40 FPS; I get around 90 now).
christhekiller
level3
level3

Postby christhekiller » Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:13 am

I don't think so. The last Alpha had a bit of a performance drop but nothing near to the point where it's game breaking and Chris fixed it in the last update as far as I can tell.
Xoligy
level3
level3

Postby Xoligy » Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:18 am

If you dont play large maps or use the land expansions you should be ok, i have a prison with 100 prisoners on a large map and my fps starts around 9-11 but leave it abit and it drops to 3fps, 2 is the lowest ive seen before quitting it though. Small maps seem fine, im playing with medium now but havent had many issuses in past alphas.
Xavier Horovitz
level0

Postby Xavier Horovitz » Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:57 am

Xoligy wrote:If you dont play large maps or use the land expansions you should be ok, i have a prison with 100 prisoners on a large map and my fps starts around 9-11 but leave it abit and it drops to 3fps, 2 is the lowest ive seen before quitting it though. Small maps seem fine, im playing with medium now but havent had many issuses in past alphas.

That's how it usually is with games like this. Take Dwarf Fortress. The game starts off running smoothly, but eventually it slows to a crawl. It's all of the entities having their own pathing, personalities, etc. Crazy stuff. With 100 prisoners on a large map, I couldn't see anyone running the game properly at this point :P
Xoligy
level3
level3

Postby Xoligy » Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:04 am

Xavier Horovitz wrote:
Xoligy wrote:If you dont play large maps or use the land expansions you should be ok, i have a prison with 100 prisoners on a large map and my fps starts around 9-11 but leave it abit and it drops to 3fps, 2 is the lowest ive seen before quitting it though. Small maps seem fine, im playing with medium now but havent had many issuses in past alphas.

That's how it usually is with games like this. Take Dwarf Fortress. The game starts off running smoothly, but eventually it slows to a crawl. It's all of the entities having their own pathing, personalities, etc. Crazy stuff. With 100 prisoners on a large map, I couldn't see anyone running the game properly at this point :P

True but your better sticking to small or medium maps, my small map with 100 prisoners has no lag issues, but then i can not build anymore ive not even played with the lad expansion yet. I dont know if i have 100 on a medium, but im working on that as i type...
Xavier Horovitz
level0

Postby Xavier Horovitz » Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:11 am

Xoligy wrote:
Xavier Horovitz wrote:

True but your better sticking to small or medium maps, my small map with 100 prisoners has no lag issues, but then i can not build anymore ive not even played with the lad expansion yet. I dont know if i have 100 on a medium, but im working on that as i type...

Yeah, I hear ya. Perhaps as the game continues its natural progress, we'll be able to see great performance on larger maps :)

Return to “General”