Prison Architect Block Cell Calculator

General chit-chat and minor questions about just about anything

Moderator: NBJeff

Dawnrazor
level0

Prison Architect Block Cell Calculator

Postby Dawnrazor » Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:02 pm

In case you're looking for a cell block calculator, I've created an online version that even works fairly well on mobile. You can find it here:

http://pa.zsg.dk

It allows you to specify a width and height, for example, or just the number of cells you want... you can specify cell sizes, spaces between cells, etc. It also calculates total cost of the foundation along with object/item costs for all your cells.

It's free to use and ad-free. No registration required. In other words, no fuss! :P

Feedback and suggestions are more than welcome.

Here's an example of a blueprint:

tbmsilva
level1
level1

Postby tbmsilva » Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:05 pm

cool
RutgerM
level1
level1

Postby RutgerM » Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:56 pm

Looks good :)
But I can't find out how to make the cells have walls between them. I normally have a row full of cells pasted together.

You think it would be possible to make your tool dynamic, meaning that you can use a space to add walls, cells and paths to calculate the cost?
Dawnrazor
level0

Postby Dawnrazor » Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:59 am

Currently, the app is simply for cell block layout so there are no options to add walls or anything like that. However, I am working on an update that will allow you to "paint" the cell block yourself, adding walls, doors, etc. And I think, based on your feedback, I might also add a feature that will automatically add walls around individual cells.

Not sure if I'll continue to have a cost calculation, especially with the "paint" stuff since you can totally rework the entire block yourself... and having to calculate how many cells there are, for example, may not be simple... I haven't really looked into it yet, but I imagine that it might be fairly complex.

But thanks for the feedback... I expect an update to be released soon.
RutgerM
level1
level1

Postby RutgerM » Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:06 am

Dawnrazor wrote:[...] Not sure if I'll continue to have a cost calculation, especially with the "paint" stuff since you can totally rework the entire block yourself... and having to calculate how many cells there are, for example, may not be simple... I haven't really looked into it yet, but I imagine that it might be fairly complex.[...]

Maybe you could add some kind of "variable" (similar to rooms like in Prison Architect), what means you will give each "painted" cell a function, allowing the program/script/website to calculate the costs.
Dawnrazor
level0

Postby Dawnrazor » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:56 pm

I just released an update to the Calculator.

New in this version:

Some additional settings to vary the block.
It's no longer limited to "cells" - you can specify the default room type you want.
You can "paint" and manipulate the block with materials, room types and objects. Objects can be rotated like in Prison Architect.

Known bugs and issues:

Objects can overlap.
Stuff!

Feedback, suggestions, bug reports, etc. is always welcome.

Here's an example to give you an idea of the current possibilities:

RutgerM
level1
level1

Postby RutgerM » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:03 pm

Nice! Thank you for this!
I'll try it out tomorrow and see if I can find bugs or the likes :D
lonewolf40000
level1
level1

Postby lonewolf40000 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:45 am

Absolutely bloody amazing work mate.
christhekiller
level3
level3

Postby christhekiller » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:21 am

Nice. Definitely will try it out now, didn't really see the point prior to being able to plan out furniture so good on ya!

Now maybe I can start looking into better designs and such
Dawnrazor
level0

Postby Dawnrazor » Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:29 pm

Ok, been working on more features. Someone at the Steam forums suggested looking into the ability to import/export PA files, and so far it's looking like something that's possible.

Here's an example of the Cathnicle prison (available in the Workshop - I think this was featured in the Alpha 11 release video) after it's been imported into the Calculator:

higher res:

http://pa.zsg.dk/Images/Other/Cathnicle_Large.jpg (3.7 MB)

Exporting back into Prison Architect might be slightly trickier since the files contain alot of stuff the Calculator currently does not care about - staff, inmates, the regime, etc. etc.... but I think it should be possible to create a "bare bones" prison that you can load up in PA and then manually add in the rest (staff, electricity, etc.)

There are still some tweaks to be done... not all objects are placed correctly; Chris has decided to have placement of objects specified by the center, which means I need to figure out their size and stuff like that. Also, the orientation of objects isn't always correct, but I reckon that should be fairly easy to fix.
NoOpen
level1
level1

Postby NoOpen » Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:22 am

Very awesome tool thanks for making it.
RutgerM
level1
level1

Postby RutgerM » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:14 am

Hmmmm.. I'm having a hard time finding the donate button :wink:
iScripters
level2
level2

Postby iScripters » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:42 pm

Aww :( I was also working on something where you could upload a .prison file and PHP would generate a 'screenshot' of it... now I can throw it all away :P
RutgerM
level1
level1

Postby RutgerM » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:03 pm

@Scripters: Or... work together with Dawnrazor...

Return to “General”