I cannot 'assign' rooms to the structures I build

General chit-chat and minor questions about just about anything

Moderator: NBJeff

Rene0
level0

I cannot 'assign' rooms to the structures I build

Postby Rene0 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:44 am

Does anyone else have this? It's just stupid. I build the 'temporary' cell (forgot the name for a sec). I build I whole block of cells but I cannot assign them. :( Same for the canteen and kitchen. I can assign office, but I cannot assign cell or canteen or kitchen. What's up with that? It's very difficult for me if these options don't work. It worked fine in earlier games. Not all the time tho. I dismissed complete buildings because of this. What are the actual requirements before you can mark a room?
Great Magical Hat
level3
level3

Postby Great Magical Hat » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:47 am

They work. You're probably doing something wrong yourself. Perhaps you can explain a little better what you are doing, what you expected to get as a result and what result is giving instead.
Rene0
level0

Postby Rene0 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:03 pm

Thank you for the quick reply. I just make a building or I draw four walls (brick) and I insert a door. I click rooms, I select canteen and it doesn't work. I expect the make the room marking, then it will give me the things I have to add to make the room complete.

Edit: I can make an office in this building.
Togusade
level1
level1

Postby Togusade » Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:28 pm

It's a little bit weird in my opinion, but it won't work (except for the office). You have to build rooms with the "build option" on the very left. Then draw the building, let the workers do the job, and then assign the room, it will work! :)
paktsardines
level5
level5

Postby paktsardines » Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:36 pm

Just to clarify, in case it's not clear. It sounds like you're trying to place a room without having a building first. To construct a building you need to click and drag the foundation tool to set your foundation. Then add a door to one edge of the highlighted area. Workers will then come and build the building, complete with walls. You can then assign rooms within the building.

I found playing the intro quite helpful for getting to know the interface.
Great Magical Hat
level3
level3

Postby Great Magical Hat » Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:44 pm

To add to what the others are saying, there's a bug that lets you build offices outside, which is why they work. As the others have said, lay down the foundations of your building first and the area will be considered to be inside.
asmo0
level2
level2

Postby asmo0 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:29 pm

canteen, kitchen, cells, holding cells, laundry, cleaning closet, visitation room are all the rooms that need to be indoor (off the top of my head, might have forgotten one). For those you need to make foundation, let it finish, then assign the roomtype later.
Rene0
level0

Twitch

Postby Rene0 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:04 pm

Guys, I checked back my twitch stuff, because for the sake of showing stuff to my friends I streamed almost the whole weekend all types of games.

http://www.twitch.tv/tovervlag/b/411837217

I start making the building from two minutes. At around 5 minutes I start to mark the room. the same happens around 2:44 and the same has happened before with the large prison at the bottom. I can't make cells in there.

I hope this is more clear, I basically draw the walls because if I make a building next to the other one, it destroys the wall in between. I think that's what I'm doing wrong. I do this with all the buildings because I like to have this kind of control. But now I know this it will not happen again. Thanks.
Great Magical Hat
level3
level3

Re: Twitch

Postby Great Magical Hat » Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:11 pm

Rene0 wrote:I hope this is more clear, I basically draw the walls because if I make a building next to the other one, it destroys the wall in between.

You can either draw the new foundation so that is overlapping with the wall of the old building and have the wall demolished or you can draw it so that the foundation is right next to the existing building so the wall will not get demolished. It's not described in the game and it akes some getting used to, but it gives you the control you want.
Augwich
level1
level1

Postby Augwich » Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:15 pm

If you're just making walls and not using the foundation tool, then probably what's happening is the game isn't recognizing what you've built as an actual building and not letting you assign the room 'cause it thinks it's still outside.

Regarding foundation making - if you make a foundation next to an existing building and overlap the walls, it will delete the shared wall. But if you draw it adjacent to the previous structure, it won't delete the wall and just draw the new building next to the old one. Problem solved! (assuming I'm understanding the problem correctly)

If you're looking for control over your construction sites and the foundation stuff and drawing walls is proving problematic, don't forget that you can just build fences around the work zone. They're free, after all.
Malo
level0

I can't zone the rooms

Postby Malo » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:36 pm

At first I can zone the rooms upon the foundations, so all is OK.
To be clear, I use the foundation tool, put a door, then zone the room as "office" - and then furnish with the required stuff.
But after a few rooms (1 office, 1 storage), I can't zone anymore.
I watched videos to copy their exact build order but after 2-3 buildings (varies), I can't zone again. :-(
I bought the game from Steam.
A clue ?
Rene0
level0

Postby Rene0 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:39 pm

Well, I tested it yesterday the way you guys said and it works! So thank you all for the quick answers and thinking with me. Now I have to keep these prisoners pleased. Because they keep killing my guards. Cheers!

Edit: Can we still help Malo here? I don't know what's up here. He states he's doing it right.
Great Magical Hat
level3
level3

Postby Great Magical Hat » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:12 pm

Rene0 wrote:Edit: Can we still help Malo here? I don't know what's up here. He states he's doing it right.

If he provides a savegame or workshop link someone will probably be able to figure out what's going wrong. As it stands, all we can do is guess.
Malo
level0

Postby Malo » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:53 pm

Hi, can you check my savegame please ?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/[...]
Last edited by Malo on Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Great Magical Hat
level3
level3

Postby Great Magical Hat » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:35 pm

Malo wrote:Hi, can you check my savegame please ?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/oweaeqx4vezsb26/malo.zip

Of course.

For the solution, look above your own post and read through the topic, as your problem is the exact same as Rene0's...
Last edited by Great Magical Hat on Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “General”