Moderator: NBJeff

Nodnarb3
level1
level1

Prison Calculator 2.0.2 Update! [Cell Block Size Calculator]

Postby Nodnarb3 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:31 am

New 2.0.2 Update!!

Description:
This is a small app that I wrote after my OCD got the best of me and was tired of having an odd number of spaces or no room for another cell in a cell block.
I always found it hard to visualize just how big I would need to make a foundation in order to hold the number of cells I wanted. Well.... Now I don't have to.

This simple calculator allows you to input the size of cells as well as the number of cells you would like in your cell block. On top of that it gives you, the user; an option between two very common cell block layouts!

It currently only supports Cell Block calculations but I plan on expanding its capabilities in the future!

Current Features:
    -Easy to use, clean interface.
    -3 Built in Cell Layouts
    -Enables easier prison layout planning
    -Outputs Length, Width and Area of the building, as well as an Estimated Cost.
    -Calculates the cost of the project.

NEW WEB VERSION: Use Online Now!

DOWNLOAD: Prison Calc v0.5 (Old Version)
Downloads-to-date: 2250+ (24/02/2014)

Current GUI:

Changes:
    v2.0.2
    See In App Updates Menu
    v2.0.1
    See In App Updates Menu
    v0.5.1
      * Updated for use on the web
    v0.5
      + Added description for 2x Default format (as per request)
    v0.4.1
      * Significantly shortened load time
    v0.4.0
      + Added total cost calculator for Default layout. Please let me know if you want it added for the other layouts!
    v0.3.2
      + Added Credits Tab to clean up the layout
      + Added Settings Tab to allow Auto Update options
      + Added Auto-Update Checker; automatically checks for updates on program launch
      + Added back button on Calculator
      + Added 'Loading' screen to allow Auto-Update Checker to check for updates
      * Minor aesthetic and GUI changes
      * Began Implementation of new features in v0.4

v0.2
      + Added live dimensions.
      - Removed 'Calculate' button
      * Fixed 'Linear' giving wrong dimensions for width when there were less than 3 cells
      + Changed GUI to a cleaner layout, 'Format Descriptions' can now be accessed by clicking on the word 'Format'(as seen in screenshot above)
      + Minor aesthetic features.
Last edited by Nodnarb3 on Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:22 am, edited 21 times in total.
pakman
level0

Postby pakman » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:41 am

Love this application! Great little tool. I too seem to have a lot of trouble getting the building the right size for what I want :oops:

Edit:

I have a suggestion that I'm not sure would be worth the time implementing it. If the application could also provide an estimated cost for the cell block (or other building in the future). This could be based on the required items. So it would have the foundations price, the walls, the beds, toilets and jail doors. Of course utilities would have to be added on as they would depend on the location of the generator and water supply.

Let me know what you think! Thanks for all the work so far though!
RutgerM
level1
level1

Postby RutgerM » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:11 am

pakman wrote:If the application could also provide an estimated cost for the cell block (or other building in the future). This could be based on the required items. So it would have the foundations price, the walls, the beds, toilets and jail doors. Of course utilities would have to be added on as they would depend on the location of the generator and water supply.

Haven't tried it out completely yet, but this program has it: http://forums.introversion.co.uk/prison ... php?t=2963
Nodnarb3
level1
level1

Postby Nodnarb3 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:19 am

pakman wrote:Love this application! Great little tool. I too seem to have a lot of trouble getting the building the right size for what I want :oops:

Edit:

I have a suggestion that I'm not sure would be worth the time implementing it. If the application could also provide an estimated cost for the cell block (or other building in the future). This could be based on the required items. So it would have the foundations price, the walls, the beds, toilets and jail doors. Of course utilities would have to be added on as they would depend on the location of the generator and water supply.

Let me know what you think! Thanks for all the work so far though!

I love the idea, and I did have some framework in place for this. I just got side tracked while working on it, and with time on my hands now (got bored working on another project) I shall revisit it and add this feature in :) Thanks for the feedback!
pakman
level0

Postby pakman » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:01 pm

RutgerM wrote:
pakman wrote:If the application could also provide an estimated cost for the cell block (or other building in the future). This could be based on the required items. So it would have the foundations price, the walls, the beds, toilets and jail doors. Of course utilities would have to be added on as they would depend on the location of the generator and water supply.

Haven't tried it out completely yet, but this program has it: http://forums.introversion.co.uk/prison ... php?t=2963

Thanks for that, another very handy little tool for prison architect!
Nodnarb3
level1
level1

Newly Updated to 0.4.1

Postby Nodnarb3 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:29 am

Hey Everyone,

Thought I'd look back and see if there were any performance improvements to be made with the simple things.
Turns out I was able to significantly increase the load time. Download or update to enjoy a faster experience.
Happy prison building. :)

-Nod
RutgerM
level1
level1

Postby RutgerM » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:23 am

For some reason, whenever I click on the download button (the one on Mediafire), Kaspersky thinks it's a malicious URL...
shovat
level2
level2

Postby shovat » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:00 am

RutgerM wrote:For some reason, whenever I click on the download button (the one on Mediafire), Kaspersky thinks it's a malicious URL...

It's a url to a file sharing sight of course it freaks out.
Nodnarb3
level1
level1

Postby Nodnarb3 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:31 am

RutgerM wrote:For some reason, whenever I click on the download button (the one on Mediafire), Kaspersky thinks it's a malicious URL...

I can assure you the file that is downloaded is not malicious, and if that is not enough, Mediafire scans every file that is uploaded. I hope that you have the trust in myself as well as the community to give Prison Calc a try, however it is purly up to your judgment should you chose to not download it.

It is unfortunate to hear that Kaspersky doesn't trust my file. :/

-Nod
RutgerM
level1
level1

Postby RutgerM » Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:22 am

Nodnarb3 wrote:[...] It is unfortunate to hear that Kaspersky doesn't trust my file. :/

No worries, just wanted to let you know.
I'll download your program anyway :)
MAdMaN
level4
level4

Postby MAdMaN » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:00 pm

VirusTotal is a good website to use if you ever have doubts about the validity of a file.
Nodnarb3
level1
level1

Postby Nodnarb3 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:20 pm

RutgerM wrote:
Nodnarb3 wrote:[...] It is unfortunate to hear that Kaspersky doesn't trust my file. :/

No worries, just wanted to let you know.
I'll download your program anyway :)

Thank you, feedback is always welcome. :)
-Nod
Pogo
level2
level2

Postby Pogo » Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:40 pm

Is there any particular reason that this is done as a program that must be downloaded instead of using JavaScript or something and hosting it on a website so we don't have to download anything?
NeatNit
level5
level5

Postby NeatNit » Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:37 am

Pogo wrote:Is there any particular reason that this is done as a program that must be downloaded instead of using JavaScript or something and hosting it on a website so we don't have to download anything?

Yes - the developer of the program is simply trying to practice at the programming language he has chosen. This language is not javascript. The purpose of the program was not to be the best end-user experience, rather, releasing it to the public is really a positive side-effect of his programming practice. :P
Nodnarb3
level1
level1

Postby Nodnarb3 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:28 pm

NeatNit wrote:
Pogo wrote:Is there any particular reason that this is done as a program that must be downloaded instead of using JavaScript or something and hosting it on a website so we don't have to download anything?

Yes - the developer of the program is simply trying to practice at the programming language he has chosen. This language is not javascript. The purpose of the program was not to be the best end-user experience, rather, releasing it to the public is really a positive side-effect of his programming practice. :P

As this is true for most aspects, I can and will release an online version in the near future. Currently just working out some details to get a website up and going.
Thanks for the feedback and support.
-Nod

Return to “General”