Cooks that won't cook!

General chit-chat and minor questions about just about anything

Moderator: NBJeff

Mythalinear
level0

Re: Cooks that won't cook!

Postby Mythalinear » Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:19 pm

I unlocked logistics and attempted to connect the cell block to the kitchen. It didn't make the cooks cook. I already had individual cells. The cooks are still not cooking.
LordBowler
level1
level1

Postby LordBowler » Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:03 pm

Mythalinear wrote:I unlocked logistics and attempted to connect the cell block to the kitchen. It didn't make the cooks cook. I already had individual cells. The cooks are still not cooking.

Do you have more than one kitchen?

How many cooks/cookers/fridges/sinks/serving trays do you have?

Open the reports>jobs tab and look for your cooks starting about 3 hours before eating time. It *should* (read: it won't) say they are either moving ingredients around or cooking something. Eventually, all of them will likely be stuck on "move ingredients to cooker". Depending on what jobs they were doing before, it is possible (though not guaranteed) that the problem can be diagnosed.

Semirelated:
I've begun noticing that when I change nutrition policies I'll stop receiving ingredients deliveries. I've started thinking that perhaps the whole "move ingredients around" mechanic is at the root of a lot of these problems. It's a ridiculous burden on the already busy cooks in large prisons, or really any prison with multiple kitchens. There are at least half a dozen bugs relating *just* to the transport of ingredients from and to any of the 3 possible locations in which they reside. And some of these moves can be massive wastes of resources, taking a cook roughly two hours to walk from delivery to my farthest kitchen and back, and requiring him to make the trip some 20 or 30 times to feed all my prisoners.

I know how we feel about "magic" solutions, but maybe letting fridges just spawn limitless ingredients, thereby keeping our cooks in the kitchen and not running all over creation would clean this up enough that we can actually figure out *exactly* what these problems are. As it stands, there are so many minor issues stacking up to make kitchens dysfunctional that it's hard to even know where to start.
Mythalinear
level0

Postby Mythalinear » Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:31 am

LordBowler wrote:Do you have more than one kitchen?

The save file is available at https://www.dropbox.com/s/t10qh3t1bo01q ... rison?dl=0
LordBowler
level1
level1

Postby LordBowler » Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:07 am

Mythalinear wrote:
LordBowler wrote:Do you have more than one kitchen?

The save file is available at https://www.dropbox.com/s/t10qh3t1bo01q ... rison?dl=0

Ok got it working.

In your case, you've triggered a 'disconnection' somehow. Unlock Micromanagement through bureaucracy and select Logistics>Food Distribution from the bottom.

Your prison looks like this:

Left click on the cell block, and then again on the canteen, this will turn the red line solid. Do the same between the kitchen and the canteen to turn the yellow line solid.

Put your mouse over the icon in the canteen and you can see what the meal demand is, and what the supply is and how many meals are being cooked. I scheduled a meal for the following morning after making these changes, and voila, cooks started cooking.

But be warned. After making any changes to your prison, check these connections. They will break at the drop of a hat. And that's only the tip of the "cooks aren't cooking" iceberg...
Mythalinear
level0

Postby Mythalinear » Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:35 am

Wonderful. It works.

Now how did the disconnect happen in the first place? I hadn't unlocked micromanagement so I did not disconnect them... methinks this could be a legitimate bug.
LordBowler
level1
level1

Postby LordBowler » Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:31 pm

Mythalinear wrote:Wonderful. It works.

Now how did the disconnect happen in the first place? I hadn't unlocked micromanagement so I did not disconnect them... methinks this could be a legitimate bug.

I have a feature request in mantis (http://bugs.introversion.co.uk/view.php?id=7387) to include an alert like the tunnel alerts for your kitchens when they break connections, because it seems like a great many things can cause it. Some make sense. Others... less sense.

In your case, I think you expanded your cell block. First and foremost, and most certainly, changing the footprint of a deployment zone that is connected to the canteen will disconnect it from that canteen.

My guess is that your cell block started it's life as the green section, then grew to include the facilities. But it's very clear that the red section is being added currently. When you went from green to green+yellow, or green+yellow to green+yellow+red, you changed that footprint, and boom. Demand dropped to zero, cooks stopped cooking.

It's extremely weird that the prisoners know to go to their canteen still, as if they are still technically connected somehow, but they aren't connected to the demand structure. It might all be behaving as intended or whatever, but those intentions are impenetrable to me.
Zeb.
level0

Postby Zeb. » Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:39 am

ANSWERED!!!

Make sure rooms are defined accurately.

Make sure food logistics is set up properly.

Dump ALL food supplies. Check fridges and storage warehouse, dump everything. A new shipment will come in and the cooks will start cooking again.

Changes in food policy or room designation seem to cause this problem, but the above fixes should help keep the issues in check.
LordBowler
level1
level1

Postby LordBowler » Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:16 am

I have since learned, from this video [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDf3wkxSjY4 ], that these dotted lines represent ai designations, and solid lines represent player designations. The ai designations are *supposed* to work, and actually appear to work only when that designation is made for the first time only. Subsequent recalculations of your food logistics generate the UI represenations of ai connections, but those connections do not always appear to be made.

My suspicion is that testing was done on completed prisons by undesignating and redesignating cell blocks and kitchens and canteens and making sure those behaviors worked. In my experience, limited as it is now that I've only been building one or two kitchens, some of those redesignations work quite well.

But changing the 'hard' footprint of a connected zone borks the whole thing and you are forced to make player over-rides in the food logistics menu. This and any other sundry causes of this remapping to fail should be documented and the myriad bugs relating to this issue should be concatenated into a mother bug.

The lesson I've learned is that I can always know more about how this stuff works under the covers. Those iv alpha videos are a pretty excellent source of nitty gritty information.
wee_ag
level0

Postby wee_ag » Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:37 am

Was having a similar issue and noticed that I had installed a CCTV on top of one of my stoves. I dismantled it on a whim and my guys started cooking again. I guess make sure you don't have anything conflicting items blocking your equipment... :roll:
1matthew2
level0

Postby 1matthew2 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:29 pm

Ok, i had the same problem, the food is old, you have to dump 1 food box out to remind the cooks to cook and they have a freaken job to do. Wait 1min or so and they should start cooking, worked for me.
Blind Hodd
level0

Postby Blind Hodd » Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:04 am

I'm having the same problem.

Plenty of space in storage and delivery areas

plenty of cooks

all needed hardware

but they just don't cook.

there are even stacks of ingredients sitting on the coolers. I need help.

P.S. I want to share my save file with you to speed this up.... what is the easiest method without installing a program....
Blind Hodd
level0

Postby Blind Hodd » Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:40 am

never mind. a combination of logistics and food dumping made my cooks get off their lazy asses. I felt so wasteful dumping all that food.
TheRealTomTom
level1
level1

Postby TheRealTomTom » Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:33 pm

http://imgur.com/a/fVrq5

So I have cooks, the space, but now it's getting violent as no-one is getting fed. The cooks stop cooking, even though I have the allocation in the day for food.

Is it due to my negative cash flow?
Threehorns
level3
level3

Postby Threehorns » Fri Feb 13, 2015 5:18 pm

upload your save file dragon cm.
opq2
level0

Re: Cooks that won't cook! (Solved!)

Postby opq2 » Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:49 am

I've done everything and keep running in this bug. I last expanded my kitchen. My cooks seem to have cooked 2 last meals and without any input from my part stopped cooking.
It's a problem with demand for me it seems.

I know you guys are working really hard and appreciate how hard it is to clean bugs.
So, good luck.

Thanks for making a really cool game.

.prison file: https://www.mediafire.com/?2cc5bl992uzro30
save image (if makes your life easier): https://www.mediafire.com/?c4be29nvolhn25f

Solved! rebooted the game and manually set my demand to my cell block. Seems to have worked for me for this prison. Feel free to disregard my post.

Return to “General”