Disappointed in the updates & frequency..

General chit-chat and minor questions about just about anything

Moderator: NBJeff

the1nfection
level0

I fail to see how you dont get it.....

Postby the1nfection » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:48 am

Okay, i respect everyones opinions to say they aren't happy with this game, but one thing seems to have gone un-noticed....

THIS GAME IS STILL IN ALPHA.

alpha isn't even done. alpha means they are STILL DEVELOPING MAJOR GAMEPLAY FEATURES. when they transition from alpha into beta then ill understand being dissapointed, but while the game is still alpha its null and void to say that you regret buying it.

would you go buy a sandwich from subway, ask them to make it a certain way, then tell them to stop halfway through, buy it, eat it, and then go complain it wasn't everything you expected?

NO, because it wasn't finished and you were too impatient to wait for it. If you give the team time they will add more features, but currently they are doing the things they feel are important.

It should be remembered as well that everyone who designed an ingame prisoner paid 250$ for that feature, which gives the developers a FINANCIAL RESPONSIBILITY to make sure its in the game. that is why they are working on those features, and not other ones.

While i agree that certain content should take priority... it is far to early to say you regret this purchase. Ive found that the game is quite fun to play, and that while they do update slowly, they are making something truely unique, which must be given its own due time to develop. I have never understood why people would rather have a developer release new content constantly rather than fixing the content already released.

If you really beleive that updates should come quickly and always be chock full of new features, look at League of Legends. They have focused so much on content over fixing and balancing that they have literally stuffed their game up its own asshole, and taken away all of the origional feeling and balance. they have even changed their Lore simply for the sake of new content. Its gotten so content based that their code is MASSIVE, full of glitches, and generally broken to the point that things dont work as intended in many different situations.

Would you honestly prefer that to having a game that plays as intended? With the whole game only being 83 MB in alpha 8 i am inclined to beleive that more content will come out. additionally... like i said they haven't even hit Beta, so they could add hundreds of new features before its done, who knows what may happen at this point.

You made the decision to buy it, you enjoyed it for a while, and when more content is released you'll enjoy it again, and again, and again. just remember that you paid to have the opportunity to help improve and shape the game while its in alpha stages. instead of complaining whats wrong, why not try posting a thread about things you want to see added? If you have good ideas they may make it into the game!
christopher1006
level5
level5

Re: I fail to see how you dont get it.....

Postby christopher1006 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:11 am

the1nfection wrote:would you go buy a sandwich from subway, ask them to make it a certain way, then tell them to stop just as they started to cut the bread in half, buy it, eat it, and then go complain it wasn't everything you expected?

Fixed
DHKold
level1
level1

Re: I fail to see how you dont get it.....

Postby DHKold » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:55 am

the1nfection wrote:would you go buy a sandwich from subway, ask them to make it a certain way, then tell them to stop halfway through, buy it, eat it, and then go complain it wasn't everything you expected?

Of course not, why would I pay for a subway sandwich when my employer has a free sandwich stand? :twisted:

(Sorry. If you're looking for me, I'm already far away)
nedks
level1
level1

Postby nedks » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:23 pm

Why are people defending them? I am sure they are nice people and all but they just seem like slow workers to me! 4 or 5 weeks later, omg alpha 9, I wonder what they updated *looks at list* they can walk faster, thats it? This is what the updates feel like to me and they should for you! We pay like £30 pounds and they don't even try!
Dosedmonkey
level3
level3

Postby Dosedmonkey » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:31 pm

I can see where this confusion is coming from, hell they could take on a intern, or volenteer to do PR for them I'm sure.

We are basically, by pre-funding, becoming similar to share holders, except we don't get any money come back to us, ever, or decision in the business, we are the best type of investers there is. This is why I questioned the transparency of Introversion in another thread. Regular blogging and updating of the day to day life, even if it is very boring stuff, would stop a lot of questions by people. By no way am I saying we are their bosses, clearly not, we just paid for a unfinished product, that you have to be realistic about and as a consumer take the responsibility. But all this talk of, why should they do this, when they can spend time making the game, talks like they don't have a personal life, I'm sure they do and they deserve it, but also knowing what progress is being made would be great. This might already exsist, but as a new consumer to PA I have not stumble across this stuff, and it should be starring me in the face.

I am sure they are good guys and not spending all our cash on hookers, but if they are, please can you PM me some photos. :P :lol:
nedks
level1
level1

Postby nedks » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:57 pm

Dosedmonkey wrote:I can see where this confusion is coming from, hell they could take on a intern, or volenteer to do PR for them I'm sure.

We are basically, by pre-funding, becoming similar to share holders, except we don't get any money come back to us, ever, or decision in the business, we are the best type of investers there is. This is why I questioned the transparency of Introversion in another thread. Regular blogging and updating of the day to day life, even if it is very boring stuff, would stop a lot of questions by people. By no way am I saying we are their bosses, clearly not, we just paid for a unfinished product, that you have to be realistic about and as a consumer take the responsibility. But all this talk of, why should they do this, when they can spend time making the game, talks like they don't have a personal life, I'm sure they do and they deserve it, but also knowing what progress is being made would be great. This might already exsist, but as a new consumer to PA I have not stumble across this stuff, and it should be starring me in the face.

I am sure they are good guys and not spending all our cash on hookers, but if they are, please can you PM me some photos. :P :lol:

What you just wrote is a really good reply to what I just said, very nice reply, thank you sir! Maybe twitter is what you looking for!
Evil Night
level1
level1

Postby Evil Night » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:02 am

While I'm sure Chris is working as hard as possible, I'd certainly like to see more coming out of the twitter feed, even if it's just more updates on what Chris has broken in the last hour.
laser50
level2
level2

Postby laser50 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:28 pm

I do feel quite the same way, after every update I do manage to play for a few hours with all the fun in the world, but Two new things that don't change all that much, yes. It does get a little boring at times. (Speaking of the game, here.)
Dosedmonkey
level3
level3

Postby Dosedmonkey » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:34 pm

Whats the twitter link? Shouldn't it be a sticky thread.
BL4DE
level2
level2

Postby BL4DE » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:48 pm

http://www.introversion.co.uk/prisonarchitect/

Look at the tiny icons on the very bottom of the page.
In fact of all Introversion pages related to Prison Architect.

From left to right:
Newsletter subscription | RSS Feed for the blog | Twitter | Youtube | Paypal Donation button (for upgrades mainly)

And since all the links are given on the main pages a stick thread is not needed.
Or more exactly was not needed before PA hit steam. Because all buyers visited that sites...
Causeless
level2
level2

Postby Causeless » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:27 pm

Remember, a lot of updates are working on back-end systems. Stuff like "prisoners moving to the closest facilities" are surprisingly hard.
Ryster
level1
level1

Postby Ryster » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:44 pm

nedks wrote:Why are people defending them? I am sure they are nice people and all but they just seem like slow workers to me! 4 or 5 weeks later, omg alpha 9, I wonder what they updated *looks at list* they can walk faster, thats it? This is what the updates feel like to me and they should for you! We pay like £30 pounds and they don't even try!

Oh get over yourself already. What you are playing now you have not paid for. You have essentially paid for a pre-order of the final product. You have been given access to a small number of Alpha builds purely as a bonus for pre-ordering the game. They are under no obligation to keep pushing out alpha builds at a regular interval.

Software can take from several months, to a year or more to get from early Alpha, through into Beta, and final to RTM. This is not unusual. Just lose the self-entitled attitude and relax.
NeatNit
level5
level5

Postby NeatNit » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:16 pm

Does anyone remember when games couldn't be released before they were completely ironed-out to be as bug-free as possible? Updates were not a feasible option for most users, and no one would buy a game based on the hope that it might get fixed in an update later.

I'd much rather have a full experience all at once than everything being slowly drippling in and ironed-out one at a time. But even worse is everything quickly drippling in - I hate opening a game I used to play and realizing it's a completely different game (see: minecraft).

To each his own I guess, and this post wasn't even relevant. Bye then!
Dosedmonkey
level3
level3

Postby Dosedmonkey » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:01 pm

BL4DE wrote:http://www.introversion.co.uk/prisonarchitect/

Look at the tiny icons on the very bottom of the page.
In fact of all Introversion pages related to Prison Architect.

From left to right:
Newsletter subscription | RSS Feed for the blog | Twitter | Youtube | Paypal Donation button (for upgrades mainly)

And since all the links are given on the main pages a stick thread is not needed.
Or more exactly was not needed before PA hit steam. Because all buyers visited that sites...

You pointed out the floor to your reply in your own reply. Now it is on steam, and the instructions in game tell you only to use the forum. A sticky is now needed. :wink:
nedks
level1
level1

Postby nedks » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:02 pm

Ok I am not gonna lie but alpha 9 update was big!

Return to “General”