Disappointed in the updates & frequency..

General chit-chat and minor questions about just about anything

Moderator: NBJeff

Kyronami
level1
level1

Postby Kyronami » Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:18 am

I myself have dabbled in game programming so I can understand how hard it is, especially for a small team, to release content. That being said, I am getting a little bored of the current game as when you have your prison going theres really nothing left to do. Hopefully we can see the next few patches add content instead of just the cosmetic things we've been seeing so far
VoiD88
level5
level5

Postby VoiD88 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:05 am

Kyronami wrote:That being said, I am getting a little bored of the current game as when you have your prison going theres really nothing left to do. Hopefully we can see the next few patches add content instead of just the cosmetic things we've been seeing so far

It's because we just have the sandbox mode right now and the campaign mode isn't even there yet. I believe it's cutom for most games that the "story" is added last, when all the core game features are finally working as intended. These "cosmetic things" as you call them are important changes to game mechanics and once they have all been implemented and most of the bugs are fixed, that's when we will probably see the campaign mode at last. Remember, we're testing an unfinished product here ;)
Life is NOT like a box of chocolates, it's more like a jar of jalapeños: What you do today might burn your a** tomorrow.
~Garfield
PrincessJane
level0

Postby PrincessJane » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:13 pm

I agree with the OP minus the regret. I would like to see more frequent updates. That may be because most indie devs release major updates roughly monthly and PA's last update was far from major. The single developer argument doesn't hold much water for me since factorio is in the same boat and is out shining PA. Just my opinions.
Daimaju
level2
level2

Postby Daimaju » Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:07 pm

Some people here should at least try to understand what "alpha" in game development means.

What it does not mean:
- Hand out builds as fast as possible so we can play, play, play...

Alpha is not about playing and enjoying a game, it is about testing and reporting broken things so they can be adressed.
Get this into your heads people!

They will release a new build when they are ready. Stop this nonsense already!
NeatNit
level5
level5

Postby NeatNit » Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:22 pm

On the other hand, alpha/beta testers generally get paid, they don't pay to test. When alpha versions are being sold, on some level it is to be expected that players just want to play.
Daimaju
level2
level2

Postby Daimaju » Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:28 pm

NeatNit wrote:On the other hand, alpha/beta testers generally get paid, they don't pay to test. When alpha versions are being sold, on some level it is to be expected that players just want to play.

We did not pay for the alpha test - we paid for the earliest possible access and, in the end, for the full and final product!
Of course we all want to play, but I really expect a more mature behavior of some people.
Sometimes Im reminded of those little asshole-kids that lay down on a stores floor, kicking and screaming because they don't get their lolly-pop.
Unacceptable and no one needs that here.

Let them work, have patience, look forward to a great release.
NeatNit
level5
level5

Postby NeatNit » Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:44 pm

They're not hurting anyone, and are actually doing their part by in one way or another directing devs' attention to issues.
Daimaju
level2
level2

Postby Daimaju » Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:11 pm

If I would be a Dev, it would annoy me, that's for sure!
And how are they helping by simply demanding the next release? What are you even talking about?
NeatNit
level5
level5

Postby NeatNit » Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:14 pm

On this specifically no, but even when they complain about features or lack of them, even when their desire is not to help but to complain, even when they're just ranting about something - their helping.
navarone9942b
level0

Postby navarone9942b » Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:43 pm

Evidently some are missing a vital point regarding IV. Their last fully released game almost DESTROYED the company and almost resulted in them doing time and being made full on "your so boned now" bankrupt. So I think its probably in their best interests not to expand into a 150 strong dev team that needs to make several thousand pounds (not dollars) a month to survive. As others have said, chill and they will release a new build, bitch and they may just postpone it.
a strange game, the only winning move is *Nuclear Launch Detected*
Kilmannan
level1
level1

Postby Kilmannan » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:10 pm

I've bought into lots of Alpha's, they seen to have become the new fashion trend these last few years thanks to Minecraft showing how much money can be made from something that's in development.

So top tip:

If you want to buy into an Alpha, ask yourself why:

Is it because you want to support the Developers as they make the game?
or
Is it because you want to get your hands on the game before the rest of the world?
or
Is it because you want the game cheap before it goes full retail price?

Either way, the answer to each is simple - pay the money, then forget about it until full release. Don't even play the Alpha if you have issues with how these things work.
Then, you wont be disappointed at any perceived issues during development, you wont have to deal with a buggy and broken Alpha, and you'll hopefully have got the game cheaper than full release. Of course, you'll also have no input on how the game is developed and what features go in, but hey, that's life.

Then, when it goes full release, you download, play, and enjoy.

Never expect anything from an Alpha, or the Developers working on it.

I still have my original Uplink CD from 2001, and have played all of IV's games to death, and will continue to do so. They're a superb company with a great vision. They've yet to let me down.
Estacaco
level0

Re: Disappointed in the updates & frequency..

Postby Estacaco » Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:20 am

This
Baleur wrote:I usually do pre-buy indie titles i enjoy. I feel it's a good investment as I support the developer and get a continually updated game, that just keeps getting better and better (indie devs are VERY good at this, and recently we've seen how AAA devs has taken note and adopted a similar passion for updating their games, at least some of them).

But Prison Architect has been an exception. I'll receive a lot of flak for this, but I must speak my mind, after all it's my Duty as a paying customer of a pre-release game, is it not?

Because there's far too few interesting new features and gameplay mechanics (or even pure content) being added, while month after month passes by and almost nothing happens.
We get new prisoner faces, names, and only guards can open doors. Hardly big additions to gameplay complexity or the overall feature set.
It's silly to bring in other games to "compare" with, since the dev teams are different, funding is different and the overall game genre might be different.
But to better illustrate my problem I'll do so anyway.

This
DHKold wrote:
paktsardines wrote:It's also not the sort of problem that can be solved faster by throwing more programmers at it.

That, of course, is totally wrong.

AND ESPECIALLY THIS
Penroyaltea wrote:So much brown nosing.

Get your heads out of the Dev's @sses

I came to this forum to check out the new game posted on steam. And was I ever right to question what one would even call PRE-Alpha being sold for a RIDICULOUS $30?! Atleast when you have to suffer with an alpha you usually get it at a discount. Much like Minecraft. I was there from the beginning, loved the game constant new updates and developments with only THREE employees. These guys just wanted quick bucks for another one of tehir "unfinished never will complete games" and if tehy do somewhat complete it, it's only because they were already paid cash money by you sorry saps :(
Mas Tnega
level5
level5

Re: Disappointed in the updates & frequency..

Postby Mas Tnega » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:15 am

If we're brown nosing, what's this? 175,000 for a character and story? 225,000 more for a second one? Then another 225,000 on top of that for a third one? Individuals claiming tiers above $2,500, more than double what the Warden tier cost? Just on the premise that they've made exactly one good game? Which STILL hasn't been patched on Xbox Live? And people are paying upwards of $2,500 for this?

Estacaco wrote:what one would even call PRE-Alpha
One wouldn't if one knew what an alpha was.
paktsardines
level5
level5

Postby paktsardines » Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:31 am

And was I ever right to question what one would even call PRE-Alpha being sold for a RIDICULOUS $30?!

Dick. Head.

Considering you have neither purchased nor played the game, what gives you the right to criticise those who have? The devs have already said the alpha was priced at $30 to ensure quality of feedback/suggestions. This stops the average brainless punter (yes, that means you) from wasting their time and ours.

You are also not paying for the alpha, you are paying for early access to the finished game. I've gotten more hours of gameplay out of the prison architect alpha than any other game I've played this year or last, and it's still in alpha. This is a bargain for $30.

If you don't like it, don't play it. Go pay $50 for Simcity over at EA, where brainless punters of your ilk are the norm.
111none
level4
level4

Postby 111none » Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:39 am

paktsardines wrote:
And was I ever right to question what one would even call PRE-Alpha being sold for a RIDICULOUS $30?!

Dick. Head.

This stops the average brainless punter (yes, that means you) from wasting their time and ours..

Well, we know that certainly failed. look at all those: "GAME WONT RUN" "HELP" "BATMAN" threads.

*sigh* :roll:
With the sincerest regards,
111none

Return to “General”