Suggestion: Gangs

General chit-chat and minor questions about just about anything

Moderator: NBJeff

JFSOCC
level2
level2

Suggestion: Gangs

Postby JFSOCC » Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:49 pm

I did a cursory search before posting this topic, I couldn't find any other suggestion, but maybe they were done on the alpha forums, which I have not yet registered on.
Anyway, here's the argument for my suggestion:

Gangs are found in most prisons in the world, Prisoners flock towards gangs for protection since a gangless prisoner is often at risk from violence.
They offer another dynamic of challenge for a would-be warden. Having a gangless high-security prison would be the epitome of achievement for a warden.

It'd be interesting to see gangs pop-up and develop over time in your prison. It should be invisible at first, only becoming apparent when problems arise from these cliques.
gangs would increase the level of violence within your prison, but also be slightly more predictable as they can be monitored and their 'turf' and members have clear opponents and allies.

It would add another dynamic to managing your prison: Preventing gangs from arising, attempting to keep gangs small, or keeping them separate to prevent conflict.

Prisoners would would have gang affiliations and their standing within the gang could be based on their traits. Gangs themselves could also have traits like "hates gang x" or "vendetta against prisoner Y"

Low security prisoners would be less likely to start or join gangs, high security prisoners much more so.
Always willing to help.
JFSOCC
level2
level2

Postby JFSOCC » Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:50 pm

Apparently it only took me twelve years to post here :P
Always willing to help.
christopher1006
level5
level5

Postby christopher1006 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:00 pm

As far as I know gangs are a planned feature already, in the save file you can see that there is a mention about gangs but I think Chris first wants to add it later in order to develop some of the core game elements rather than the stuff that is cool but isn't truly needed right now at this time and day for the game to be recognized as a game.
Yes, that is a penguin with rabies. Deal with it.
JFSOCC
level2
level2

Postby JFSOCC » Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:07 pm

fair enough
Always willing to help.
VoiD88
level5
level5

Postby VoiD88 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:16 pm

There's a video from the Eurogamer last year in the "roadmap for prison architect" thread. Near the end of this video, Chris gets asked if gangs will be in the game, maybe you should take a look.
Life is NOT like a box of chocolates, it's more like a jar of jalapeños: What you do today might burn your a** tomorrow.
~Garfield
JFSOCC
level2
level2

Postby JFSOCC » Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:03 pm

thank you I'm watching it now.
Always willing to help.
JFSOCC
level2
level2

Postby JFSOCC » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:31 pm

right, that was an interesting view. However, from what I understand gangs are considered problematic, and they aren't sure on how they'd do them.
So perhaps suggestions are still helpful

I especially like the concept of gang-turf, which you could only see in a separate screen if you have access to a snitch. If a gang member crosses into turf of another gang, that can lead to conflict. This not only gives visual cues to the warden: shit's going down, but it could also be interesting to see a warden build his prison in such a way as to minimize encounters between gangs.

Redistributing gang members across territories becomes an extremely hazardous thing to do, and when prisoners are aired, special care has to be taken, either by controlling the yard, or by preventing different gangs from being aired at the same time.

Gang affiliation vs area control itself can already make for dynamic gameplay.
Gameplay would get much more deep when you then start registering grudges. So someone observed harming a gangmember, or crossing into the turf of another gang may find himself on the death list of that gang.

Having snitches becomes essential in managing your prison population. So then you'd have to make choices concerning ethics: Do I give early parole to this violent man who has been supplying me the information I need to prevent all-out war in my prison?

Gangs are also perfect for having emergent gameplay when it comes to contraband, or escape attempts, since they can pool their resources and work together.
So it might be harder for a warden to catch someone digging a tunnel since the dirt released in the yard comes from another inmate, or they can set a watch to warn the diggers when a guard is coming past.

Gangs and their members can have traits like:
Contraband distribution
Organised Violence
Respecting/Disrespecting of Authority
Hoarders (steal supplies, food, etc)
Strong drive for freedom.

They would be based on the traits of their respective gang leaders/members
So a gang of five members with two violent offenders and three drug offenders is more likely to be a violent drug gang, while a gang of six members with 4 accountants with a strong drive for freedom and two with drug convictions would likely organise an escape effort using smuggling routes rather than tunnels or a prison break.
A gang with Organised Violence as traits and a strong drive for freedom, might actually try to burst out through the front door in a battle.
And if more gangs are competing: hoarders, or contraband distribution, this might lead to natural clashes.

hence concludes the brainstorm for this post :P
Always willing to help.
TimberTon
level1
level1

Postby TimberTon » Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:55 pm

I especially like the concept of gang-turf, which you could only see in a separate screen if you have access to a snitch.

I like that idea.

Having snitches becomes essential in managing your prison population.

Hm, i doubt that they that important and common in real life prisons?

Damn it, their are so many great promising indie games in development right now, all of them being in (pre-)alpha or beta... (Prison architect, project zomboid, darkwood, Starbound, Castle Story ... ), i can't await them to get finished...

Return to “General”