Suggestion: Corrupt staff and staff with needs

General chit-chat and minor questions about just about anything

Moderator: NBJeff

TimberTon
level1
level1

Suggestion: Corrupt staff and staff with needs

Postby TimberTon » Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:03 am

I'm probably not the first to suggest it, but anyway...

With the last update prisoners got a personality, imo IV could use the same system for our guards / staff.

Right now we have total control over guards and guards don't have any needs at all, they don't need sleep etc...

I think it would be nice if your personal have needs and a personality as well and change over time, after seeing a friend dying they may get depressed and need to visit the psychologist, or they get brutal against the prisoners, may even raging and seriously harming innocent prisoners.

Guards helping prisoners would be nice to see as well, for example trading drugs (cigarettes) or weapons, looking away when they attempt to escape or kill a gang member... (chances could be affected by the salary you are willing to pay them, safety of your prison...)

The nurse may help a prisoner she likes by distracting a guard...

The Janitor or builders may accidentally (or "accidentally") just forget too take a toolbox with them, leaving it unattended allowing your prisoners to gain weapons or tools to break the simpler doors.

If our guards have their own place in our prison where they keep their clothes for example, prisoners may sneak in there stealing keys (or clothes?). (a janitor room could be used for the same).

Staff may eat and sleep as well. (its weird that they never have to, 24h / per day on duty. That would greatly increase atmosphere and realism imho.)

That would mean that we need to loose direct control of the guards, i could imagine this by using a advanced deployment screen in order to control your guards (so you only have indirect controls of your staff instead of the RTS style, making the game more simulation like).

If we get the ability to build a laundry it could be utilized by the prisoners as well...
JFSOCC
level2
level2

Postby JFSOCC » Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:56 pm

Right now we have total control over guards and guards don't have any needs at all, they don't need sleep etc...

Having guard shifts would be interesting combined with guard traits, some would be better at their jobs than others. so it would pay to rotate shifts and duties to see which guards are best at what jobs and which are bad apples.
Always willing to help.
Parker22
level2
level2

Postby Parker22 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:26 pm

Yeah I agree, crooked guards would definitely spice things up.

And they could always run away with a nurse as well, losing a bunch of keys in the process...
mscottx88
level0

Postby mscottx88 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:58 pm

If they do go rogue, even if for a brief period of time, fog of war should activate too so you can't see what that evil guard is up to. Would be pretty sneaky and slick too.
mscottx88
level0

Postby mscottx88 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:02 pm

And then of course, that means if there were another guard in the vicinity, they would become suspicious and probably arrest that guard. Otherwise, you'd have to try to catch him in the act later, assuming you watched which guard disappeared momentarily. Then, the "watched" guard would be less likely to get into trouble or find himself always away from other guards.
christopher1006
level5
level5

Postby christopher1006 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:45 pm

Well Chris did state that eventually we would not have direct control over any of our standard staff members. We'd have to set things up for them to get the job done and corruption sounds like a way to make that more challenging and subsequently more fun. Also corruption shouldn't stem just from prisoners, it should be possible to influence staff from two other directions.

-'Outside': Basically what I mean here is outside forces which could include anything from gangs and the mafia to anti-death penalty activists. They would use different means but generally, unless you directly pissed them off and they try to do damage to the prison itself, they would attempt to make your guards more friendly to their cause so that one day your guards may refuse to execute a death row inmate or perhaps none of your guards 'noticed' when the mafia drove a truck through your wall and grabbed some of their own people who'd been recently incarcerated.

-You: That's right, you're the entity keeping this prison from the brink of insanity *cough*cough*. Who's to say that you don't nudge your staff down a darker path encouraging doctors not to save prisoners who hurt staff and other inmates as well as guards to not care when a prisoner is begging for his life as they bludgeon him for stealing some food. They might ask for more to do something like that, possibly not firing a useless coworker who's their friend or an increase in pay. Perhaps you yourself will become corrupt, you could accept payments from those outside forces or from the ranks of the prisoners to accomplish certain goals that you shouldn't really be getting grants for. Perhaps an anti-death penalty group will compensate for losses if you let all of the death row inmates make a run for it or the mafia will give you a nice bit of cash for making unfortunate 'accidents' occur to prisoners. Your staff will eventually reflect how you act, if you kill off too many prisoners for the mob your guards will naturally become more brutal and it will be difficult unless you sack them to make them return to a discipline that is expected of a corrections officer.

Sorry, I was going to type a short piece but then I started thinking of all the possibilities that would come along with the corruption of staff so while I'm aware of what I'm typing right now I'm going to make a last ditch jump to the submit button before I keep typing.
Urigella
level1
level1

Postby Urigella » Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:24 pm

Ah good good, I was about to post about staff having needs and then found this one. I was just playing the game and wondered how long my guards and cooks had been holding their bowels :D. I was thinking along the lines of them needing lunch breaks and shifts as well, also maybe a room to designate for staff only and have them need recreation etc to?
Do unto others as they do unto you.

Return to “General”