Introversion Terms and Conditions

General chit-chat and minor questions about just about anything

Moderator: NBJeff

Mark
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Introversion Terms and Conditions

Postby Mark » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:39 pm

We've recently updated our Terms and Conditions, both when using the Introversion Website and also buying any of our games - these new terms also cover Prison Architect. We've taken pains to make sure that we have been as un-restrictive as possible whilst still protecting ourselves from malicious third parties.

We're really keen to encourage a vibrant community around all our games and we want to support Modding and sharing of videos and screenshots etc. We also have no problem with people monetizing that sort of content.

Please take a look here to see the updated Terms and Conditions.
Mas Tnega
level5
level5

Postby Mas Tnega » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:13 pm

Preamble page wrote:[...]they should be locked up – they bad guys, not the lawyers … though …

Prison Architect EULA wrote:exploit the Game or any of its parts for any commercial purpose including, but not limited to, o use the Game for any illegal or immoral purposes;

PA EULA wrote:All data collected will be processed accordance with the policy contained in the terms of the EULA..

The Prison Architect EULA never explains what the "Game" is; you just use the term a lot from the very start. It's inconsistent with the other EULAs, which describe "Software" (Uplink/Darwinia) and "Game" (Defcon/Multiwinia) before referring to it as such.
paktsardines
level5
level5

Postby paktsardines » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:03 pm

I honestly find PA section 7 a little unbecoming of Introversion. Firstly, I think data collection should be opt-in rather than opt-out. Also, there should be much easier means to opt out than to 'disconnect the computer from the internet'. That's just not acceptable. It is also not always possible (eg: Universities and workplaces etc where permissions are restrictive).

Lastly, can a little more detail be provided please on what comprises "feedback on your use of the Game".

I understand how the data from section 7 is invaluable to the development and improvement of the software, I just think introversion should be more open about it. It is, after all, another opportunity for alpha participants to contribute to the game.
Chris
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby Chris » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:12 pm

It's worded in legal speak, but it's nothing to worry about. The data we currently collect is:

- What platform you are running on (pc or mac)
- What version you are running (alpha5, alpha6 etc)
- What build you are running, which is currently "vanilla". Eventually this will (hopefully) cover things like "Steam", "Humble" etc.

This helps us track how popular alpha6 is compared to alpha5 for example, or how many of our customers are mac users. It's very useful info to us.
paktsardines
level5
level5

Postby paktsardines » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:19 pm

Great Chris, thanks for clarifying. I am now at ease - and must get back to alpha6. Cheers.
xngxng
level1
level1

Postby xngxng » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:27 pm

I am interested to see how Introversion would legislate the term 'immoral' in an agreement, and who is the person whose morality is the valid one by which the agreement get its template. Not that these small errors in the agreement matters much unless the civil case is being tried by the Pope or the like.

I better go back playing the game and in a very morality-correct manner mistreat my prisoners.
NeatNit
level5
level5

Postby NeatNit » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:53 pm

Chris wrote:... Eventually this will (hopefully) cover things like "Steam", "Humble" etc.

PA confirmed for future Humble release! though honestly I would have guessed as much anyway
steviebuk
level2
level2

Postby steviebuk » Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:41 pm

Chris wrote:It's worded in legal speak, but it's nothing to worry about. The data we currently collect is:

- What platform you are running on (pc or mac)
- What version you are running (alpha5, alpha6 etc)
- What build you are running, which is currently "vanilla". Eventually this will (hopefully) cover things like "Steam", "Humble" etc.

This helps us track how popular alpha6 is compared to alpha5 for example, or how many of our customers are mac users. It's very useful info to us.

I think the problem you now have is Steam. The game is purchased, downloaded and just runs. Never displays the EULA to read etc. So some maybe unaware of the data collecting. Yes, it's innocent data collecting but someone is bound to appear who won't like not having been told when they got it from Steam.
Anoniempje
level1
level1

Postby Anoniempje » Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:55 am

Perhaps you could collect anonymous performance stats as well, ya know, cpu, gpu, ram, OS, fps, crashes to scan for common denominators and bugs. And ofcourse post a heads up in the intro with an optout/in checkbox.
melnificent
level0

Re: Introversion Terms and Conditions

Postby melnificent » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:45 am

I think the problem you now have is Steam. The game is purchased, downloaded and just runs. Never displays the EULA to read etc. So some maybe unaware of the data collecting. Yes, it's innocent data collecting but someone is bound to appear who won't like not having been told when they got it from Steam.

Yup, that'll be me then. I do not consent to data collection, I never do unless it is opt-in. I provide it if I choose to, which when there is a data landgrab I don't.

7. Data Collection and Feedback
The Game includes automatic feedback software which, when installed on your computer, may collect and sends data to and from INTROVERSION concerning your use of the Game including, without limitation:

your computer’s specification and IP address;
any bugs, errors or defects in the operation of the Game which are detected;
feedback on your use of the Game; and
the performance of the Game on your computer.
All data collected will be processed accordance with the policy contained in the terms of the EULA.

If you do not want your computer to send this data to INTROVERSION please do not use the Game whilst connected to the Internet.

Disconnect from the internet to play a game. In this connected age that isn't possible or reasonable to ask. That is not a reasonable method of opting out. Even the huge companies know this and provide a simple tick box to opt-out, buried sometimes, but it's there.

Then we have other issues, if you are collecting personal data you need a data controller registered with the ICO. I've searched they have no record of you. You collect my IP address together with my PC spec (do you include steam account?), something only I use, therefore it is not anonymous. ICO good practice states "When you cannot tell whether you are collecting information about a particular person, it is good practice to treat all the information collected as though it were personal data.".

With no Data controller who do I contact to see what data you have collected about myself already?

What I've played I've enjoyed. I'm just creeped out that you collected my information without my consent.
Beesguy
level0

Postby Beesguy » Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:13 pm

Just asking, I did not see anything about making videos. So is that fine?
MAdMaN
level4
level4

Postby MAdMaN » Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:36 pm

Beesguy wrote:Just asking, I did not see anything about making videos. So is that fine?

http://support.introversion.co.uk/custo ... ect-assets

Return to “General”