28%
No
72%

Total votes: 234
Kilmannan
level1
level1

Postby Kilmannan » Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:23 pm

Estacaco wrote:Thanks for the heads up that there's free downloads out there! Never would have though I could find it in Alpha. You have just as much reason to Pirate the new Sim City poop, like the PA poop.

Then you're obviously an idiot if you didn't think something would be available for torrent somewhere out there.

I don't even know why you're on the Introversion site if you think they're so shit, other than you can't think of anything productive to do with the oxygen you waste.
Rizzano
level0

Postby Rizzano » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:54 pm

I rarely use torrent sites, and when I say rarely, I mean RARELY, however, I do so, on occasion.

I am a full-time online college student studying Game Design. I am a father of 2 children, one of which is 6 and I home school her. I work from home as a personal assistant, also online and over the phone. Needless to say I am pretty busy, but I do most of my things from online on my laptop. It goes without saying that sometimes I have to miss my favorite TV show, and sometimes it's not available to watch on the networks website, so I do use pirate bay to download an occasional show I have missed.

Now onto games.

If I see a PC game that I think I might like to play, I always look for a demo first. If, and only if, I CANNOT find a demo, I will resort to torrents to find a pirated version only to try it out. If I like it, I buy it and remove the pirated copy. If I don't, I remove the pirated copy. Case in point, another indie game called Timber and Stone was on Pirate Bay a month ago and I happened to stumble upon it. I saw it used to be on Kickstarter, but when I found it on PB and went to their website, it was only in beta and only playable after you donated through Paypal. So I downloaded it, tried it, loved it, removed it, made a donation, and now play it officially and legally. The same goes with Prison Architect. I found it a few days ago on PB and checked out the site, and it looked very intriguing, so I took a chance, downloaded it, and tried it out. LOVE IT! So as much as it REALLY FRIGGIN' SUCKS TO WAIT, lol, I have uninstalled it, and am waiting until payday to pay the $50 to get involved legally and officially.

So in conclusion - as someone stated earlier in this thread - Pirate Bay is definitely good PR because it brings more gamers to PA that might have otherwise never known about it. I subscribe to PC Gamer and Game Informer and never heard a mention of Timber and Stone or Prison Architect, and if not for Pirate Bay, at least to this day, I wouldn't have been made aware and never would have donated or made plans to.

TLDR; I don't normally use torrents, but I want to demo games that don't have official demos, so I do use torrents occasionally. If I like 'em, I buy 'em. Did it with Prison Architect, and am now paying soon to make it official. So in a way, Pirate Bay is good 'cause otherwise I would have never found PA.
josiah
level0

Postby josiah » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:27 pm

I got an alpha 6 copy for mac and played that for a few days. Ended up enjoying the game so much that I decided to buy it. If not for the share, I would have never heard of the game nor been interesting in purchasing it (because $30 is a lot for a game not finished).

So I have to vote no.

Also as many have said, you can't really do anything. You think Pirate Bay is the only thing around? It may be the most known, but there are a lot of venues for getting copies of stuff. I did not download Alpha 6 from Pirate Bay.
NeatNit
level5
level5

Postby NeatNit » Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:27 am

Every attempt in history to minimize piracy has ended with tears. Be it DRM or attempts at legal action, nothing ever works. The best thing to do it not to waste any energy on it.
Asyx
level0

Postby Asyx » Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:23 am

Taking a game out of The Pirate Bay (or trying to do that) will just piss people off. There were plenty of examples in the past where people on TPB said that they'll buy the game since the developer wasn't a little twat or even said in the comments that a bug fix is coming (Hotline Miami). Pirated downloads does also not mean that everybody who got the game that way would buy it. When I was 13 or something like that, I had thousands of games on external hard drives but I played maybe 10 of them more than an hour or 2. I bought most of the others later, though.

Making a big fuss about that is damaging the business more than it helps.
cozonac
level0

Re: [Suggestion] Taking Out Prison-Architect off Pirate Bay

Postby cozonac » Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:26 pm

Ceramic wrote:So as you all have seen/downloaded/heard that P.A is in Pirate Bay? Before playing Prison Architect you used to download cracked P.A? Well screw you. I haven't downloaded the cracked Prison Architect. I was just wondering that if Introversion could file a lawsuit at Pirate Bay because maybe 100's of thousands of people have the cracked version right now and that's not fair is it?

I torrent all my games. And it's not because I like free stuff but because I got burnt too many times. If the game is worth my money and time I buy it. I did the exact same thing with PA. After playing around for 4 hours I decided I like it and bought it. I have over 500 games in my steam list and I bought max 20 without torrenting them first.

Ceramic wrote:We spent 30-1000$ and then here comes some kids with free Prison-Architect without paying $30. Sucks right? Tell me what you think

I think you are a retard. I also think you should read this http://tommyrefenes.tumblr.com/post/456 ... han-piracy and hopefully understand it.
astronaute
level0

Postby astronaute » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:31 pm

1) I was interested in
2) Was looking to try it but found no playable demo
3) Found only payable alpha test access (I don't like that)
4) Discovered they've already got more than $2.5 Millions
5) Found it on TPB, tested it, liked it, bought it
6) Decided to give them my money based on fun they provided to me, so here I am

I always do the same with all games with no playable demo, it is actually a code to which I obey: never give money for a game that cannot be tested first

You may think this is blamable, I on the other hand think everyone should do the same and stop pre-purchasing games and later whining how they got scammed. I'm not talking about crowd funding concepts, but this game for example should have a small demo instead of payable alpha access, it just feels wrong getting money from kids without offering a refund if the game doesn't feel as expected.
With $2.5 Millions it is fair to suppose they can stop taking money or at least offer a demo, is that too much to ask?
Hoxie
level0

Re: [Suggestion] Taking Out Prison-Architect off Pirate Bay

Postby Hoxie » Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:32 am

Ceramic wrote:So as you all have seen/downloaded/heard that P.A is in Pirate Bay? Before playing Prison Architect you used to download cracked P.A? Well screw you. I haven't downloaded the cracked Prison Architect. I was just wondering that if Introversion could file a lawsuit at Pirate Bay because maybe 100's of thousands of people have the cracked version right now and that's not fair is it? We spent 30-1000$ and then here comes some kids with free Prison-Architect without paying $30. Sucks right? Tell me what you think

Hahahaha look at the votes 14 people probably voted No 'cause they got Prison Architect off Pirate Bay.

I think you're overreacting. Yeah there are a few people who torrent no matter what, but the 'pirate' community generally has more respect for indie developers and will buy the game if they thoroughly enjoy it. I myself have bought the game, and I can say I would have been severely disappointed if it sucked with a price tag of $30. It's more about test driving rather than being stuck in the 'buyer beware' predicament, such as that which I found myself in after buying Aliens: Colonial Marines.
MaRul101
level0

Postby MaRul101 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:35 am

Being of both I know that everyone I have ever known to torrent games do so since they can't pay or don't know what the game is like. I have done both and I now own 90% of the games I have torrented. I also hold a lot of old school boxed game including Darwinia (Love my key chain darwinian). I don't condone this but I don't mind that it happens and as long a Introversion is getting what there think is fair to great sales why would it hurt. If they feel that hurt they can do what other games have started to do and seed a game with anti-piracy bugs in it and release new version on torrents early with the bugs. Bugs like all the prisoners have a sentence of a week for Internet Piracy and only 2 show up on inmate intake day. That way they can see the mechanics but they are asked to buy the game to get the real deal.
reeceaclarke
level1
level1

Postby reeceaclarke » Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:41 pm

You know a law suit would just not work against them they don't host the files them selfs
MAdMaN
level4
level4

Postby MAdMaN » Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:41 pm

reeceaclarke wrote:You know a law suit would just not work against them they don't host the files them selfs

What was the point in responding to this when the last post was made over two months ago?
NeatNit
level5
level5

Postby NeatNit » Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:47 pm

Ugh... Did you not notice that this thread was in the 10th page?! Don't bump old topics.

A post's date can be found above it. Don't post on a topic more than a week old unless you have something new and important to add. What you said is pointless and has been stated several times already.

Return to “General”