[Discussion] Are you still playing?

General chit-chat and minor questions about just about anything

Moderator: NBJeff

Namro
level1
level1

[Discussion] Are you still playing?

Postby Namro » Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:19 pm

I found it really hard for me to keep playing once I've built every facility I can and my inmates are happy, All that I left to do is just move the guards to the designated areas when it's time for example, to eat, or to go to the yard..

What about you? Have you left anything to do?
Hessen
level3
level3

Postby Hessen » Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:20 pm

I'm testing, not playing :)
annoyingwolf
level1
level1

Postby annoyingwolf » Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:38 pm

Once i make people happy I just start over an either do it differently or make it teh opposite of what I did earlier- Hotel/Gulag.
Namro
level1
level1

Postby Namro » Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:48 pm

Hessen wrote:I'm testing, not playing :)

Well played...
But aren't you lying to yourself? I mean, what is left to do after you build everything you need?
Mathieu
level1
level1

Re: [Discussion] Are you still playing?

Postby Mathieu » Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:37 pm

Namro wrote:I found it really hard for me to keep playing once I've built every facility I can and my inmates are happy, All that I left to do is just move the guards to the designated areas when it's time for example, to eat, or to go to the yard..

What about you? Have you left anything to do?

For my part I will wait next week for the alpha2 before starting a new game. There's too many bug to really enjoy the "game". All my prisoners got stuck in the medical room.

But i'm aware the game's still in early stage.. Currently there's not enough system complexity and features of gameplay to keep me playing or to build a new prison. They will add many features with each alphas so i'm confident for the future.
Hessen
level3
level3

Postby Hessen » Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:41 pm

Namro wrote:
Hessen wrote:I'm testing, not playing :)

Well played...
But aren't you lying to yourself? I mean, what is left to do after you build everything you need?

Why am I lying to myself? I'm testing the game at the moment, doing what I can to break it, trying stupid things, trying different combinations to see if they work or not. Then reporting the bugs, making suggestions and facilitating discussions.

I'm not playing the game because it's a challenge to beat.

Even if I was, the enjoyment would be from making different layouts in a sandbox mode. Which ultimately what all sandbox creation games turn in to. If you never enjoyed the replay value of games like Rollercoaster Tycoon, Theme Hospital, Sim City etc. and you're not interested in doing proper testing then you're going to get bored with PA Alpha very quickly.
trinest
level1
level1

Postby trinest » Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:55 am

I've stopped playing, but only temporary. Once I get my new computer I'll be playing it heaps. :)
Skrylar
level0

Postby Skrylar » Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:45 am

I'm mostly waiting for guard patrols now. It's displeasing watching prisoners walk past security doors with impunity.

That said there are some amusing bits, like when prisoners go to sleep on a sideways bed and their bodies turn in to doors :)
Sicaine
level0

Postby Sicaine » Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:28 pm

Hey,

no not really.

Mostly because it is _laggy_ while building huge prisons.

Also every bug i found, is already in mantis.

I'm waiting for the alpha2 release and just come back once a week.
Kalrirr
level1
level1

Postby Kalrirr » Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:54 am

If you're on the game to find the bugs then try to do anything that's not "standard" think outside the box and do stuff that you'd not normally do in a game. That's when you'll find the most quirks and bugs in the system :)
Even the silly things like loading between saves over and over can cause some game breaking bugs. :)

I feel that a tester can't ever be at a stage where they say "okay I've done everything there is to do in this now". there's just too much quirks to be found in those xxxxxxx lines of code.
Namro
level1
level1

Postby Namro » Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:54 pm

well, I accept the "you are a tester, not a player" approach, but I kinda think we found all the game breaking bugs, and gameplay changing, and all that is left to do is to find those little bugs, who are just annoying and not really disturbing the game itself, like the prisoners stucking and needing to pee constantly.
phees
level1
level1

Postby phees » Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:15 pm

Namro wrote:well, I accept the "you are a tester, not a player" approach, but I kinda think we found all the game breaking bugs, and gameplay changing, and all that is left to do is to find those little bugs, who are just annoying and not really disturbing the game itself, like the prisoners stucking and needing to pee constantly.

You are quite confident, sir.

I think even with the "few" features implemented, the complexity of the game is already that advanced, we probably will never find all game breaking bugs.

Keep in mind: Additionally to a bug just happening, it also has to be found, isolated and analysed.

Return to “General”