Is Prison Architect going to have multiplayer?

General chit-chat and minor questions about just about anything

Moderator: NBJeff

xander
level5
level5

Re: Is Prison Architect going to have multiplayer?

Postby xander » Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:31 am

Dylan1544 wrote:Simcity is multiplayer.

Not the version I've played. Though (and this addresses reeceaclarke's post as well) this is entirely beside the point. If someone has enjoyed other single player tycoon games (whether or not those games also have a multiplayer component), then it is possible that they will also enjoy the single player experience offered by Prison Architect. If they do not enjoy single player tycoon games (e.g. they only play tycoon games for the multiplayer components that they offer), then it is unlikely that they will enjoy Prison Architect.

Not everything needs to be multiplayer.

xander
kylepaul23
level0

Postby kylepaul23 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:18 pm

I could see multiplayer working, sort of. Say one person builds the prison, like now, and one person is the prisoners, and do what prisoners do best, and attempt to reak havock.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:17 pm

kylepaul23 wrote:I could see multiplayer working, sort of. Say one person builds the prison, like now, and one person is the prisoners, and do what prisoners do best, and attempt to reak havock.

That has been suggested before, but would require a fairly substantial rewriting of the game from the ground up. Support for this kind of feature needs to be planned in from the start, and cannot really be grafted on later (unless you want a really terrible gameplay experience). As it wasn't included from the start it is incredibly unlikely that it will ever be included.

xander
lemmilemming
level0

Postby lemmilemming » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:16 pm

With the latest addition regarding economy i think it would be nice for a multiplayer to be able to start a coop game and in a shared area beeing able to build stuff like Workshops etc. for both Prisons (2 player Coop in mind that is). The profits as well as cost would be shared as well as the rewards from for example "no accidents". Also a option to "exchange" certain prisioners who tend to be unruly in one prison but then get straight in confinement in the other and then start be behave would be a great option.

Also this would add the need for Prision Transports, extra facilitys for thoose etc. and could be done in a "addon" style while the basic main game kept unchanged thoose options cound be implemented even later without big programming work. The biggest task for that option would be most prolly writing a decent netcode since it would add a extra area where 2 players can build, assign tasks etc. while still maintaining theyr own prison.
bbrown4
level0

Postby bbrown4 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:37 am

Alright so I'll keep this SORT of brief, seeing as most of the ideas I had for multiplayer are already mentioned here (and it's a VERY old thread). I simply HAD to make a reply regarding EVERYONE who who are saying that multiplayer couldn't work and are completely confused by the idea.

There are so many ways that multiplayer could work. But the most basic of basic ideas mirrors games like ANNO. That would be the obvious choice if we're thinking about basic multiplayer. A Co-op mode where players can build a prison together. The other would be like what someone mentioned in the beginning, similar to Open TTD, or again like ANNO but on a larger scale. Where 2 players build their prisons far away from each other, and have to compete for prisoners or something. There are many great ideas for multiplayer for this game right here in this thread that they could do if multiplayer was/is planned. It just made me laugh that so many people's minds were blown by the thought of multiplayer in a game like this, when there are games like ANNO and Sim City (not the older ones), and OpenTTD etc.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:10 pm

bbrown4 wrote:Alright so I'll keep this SORT of brief, seeing as most of the ideas I had for multiplayer are already mentioned here (and it's a VERY old thread). I simply HAD to make a reply regarding EVERYONE who who are saying that multiplayer couldn't work and are completely confused by the idea.

You are attacking a strawman. No one (that I know of) has suggested that multiplayer cannot work. What I have stated is that tacking multiplayer onto a game that was designed from the ground up to be a single player experience is a bad idea. To take the example that is closest to home, it took something like two years for IV to build Multiwinia (the multiplayer mode for Darwinia that was originally meant to be a tacked-on experience for the XBox release), and the result did very poorly.

xander
jakethesnakedr
level0

Postby jakethesnakedr » Fri Mar 25, 2016 2:41 am

I like the idea of multiplayer. The host could have to option to pick one of their prisons to play on. Then when a map is picked they can play as a guard or they could be a prisoner only one person would be like a warden and they would designate areas for guards to patrol. It would be 2-4 people and when to host leaves it kicks every one out so that no one would play without any other players and escape. That's my idea on how multiplier would work.
ecigplanete
level0

Postby ecigplanete » Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:13 pm

Ways a Multi-Player would work:
-Co-op same like single-Player
-every body builds his own prison under the same aim, so hold 60 Prisenors or something like that, and the target is to be faster then the other
-you bild against and ship prisoners between your prisons
-you add one, that plays the court and sends the prisoners to the prisons of your mates(i think is to high thinked)

E cigarette - Joyetech Grossiste - Kangertech Grossiste - Eleaf Grossiste - Alfaliquid Grossiste - Liquideo Grossiste - Tjuice Grossiste

Return to “General”