Is Prison Architect going to have multiplayer?

General chit-chat and minor questions about just about anything

Moderator: NBJeff

James009
level0

Postby James009 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:04 am

phees wrote:A multiplayer game could include the following modes:...

I was going to ask, "How on Earth would multiplayer even work?"...

... but this guy kinda nailed it.
City Builder
level2
level2

Postby City Builder » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:25 am

While I personally don't want multiplayer, I could see it working as simple co-op where two players work together to build their prison, however in a game like this it would just about require that they have some form of voice communication between them so that they know what each of them is going to be doing when building their prison.

However, I doubt that would entice the OP into buying the game since if he finds the current building of his prison boring now, adding another player to do some of that building for him is not likely going to entertain him any further.

PA is typical of business strategy type games, some people love them and some people find them dry, humorless and boring.
phees
level1
level1

Postby phees » Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:19 pm

James009 wrote:
phees wrote:A multiplayer game could include the following modes:...

I was going to ask, "How on Earth would multiplayer even work?"...

... but this guy kinda nailed it.

Now we need to get Chris to notice this post!
Ric666
level3
level3

Postby Ric666 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:41 am

While I respect peoples attempts to make a multiplayer out of this, I highly doubt this game will ever this function.

Tycoon games are not meant to be played by multiple people. It's all about building a business & running it smoothly while trying to make as much profit as possible. Trying to introduce other people into the mix would be extremely difficult or would probably break the core mechanics. I suppose a leaderboard thing with ratings would be cool but that's not multiplayer. Thats just a leaderboard :P

A scenario/map editor would be a great addition. Allow us to share our own creations with each other would be very welcomed :)
Aznsteel
level1
level1

Postby Aznsteel » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:39 pm

Well multiplayer could be input in the game IF the game was going to be the utmost realistic. How cool would it be to trade high class prisoner and also another idea is materials. It would be realistic if there was like a market to buy all your supplies. Your prisoner work and create items those items are required to build your prison or they can be sold to the market to make money. This market sells your bricks and pipes required to build your prison. These items price could go up or down depending on the need. Its only a idea if a multiplayer system is added and crafting is added.

If they ever do this then I would also suggest that when someone builds a new prison, they would get a whole game day to create the basic prison for free as the government is paying for it.

I would think that alot of people have mix feelings but I think this is the way to realism.
Ric666
level3
level3

Postby Ric666 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:35 pm

I like the online market idea.

However, that's still not what I would consider multiplayer....that's just an online market. Trust me, I've been playing tycoon games pretty much since tycoon games came out. It just wouldn't work. Making your own bricks & pipes seems way too much work when you want a big new wing. not really the way tycoon games work.

Don't mean to sound pessimistic. Just speaking from experience.

Just my opinion though. :)

FYI: trading prisoners to the highest bidder does not seem realistic. does this happen in America? Maybe somewhere else but not in UK.
ronanc
level4
level4

Postby ronanc » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:37 pm

I posted this in the media exposure sticky too.

No multiplayer planned for version 1:

http://willwriteaboutvideogamesformoney ... interview/
Anno
level0

Re: Is Prison Architect going to have multiplayer?

Postby Anno » Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:44 pm

Ways a Multi-Player would work:
-Co-op same like single-Player
-every body builds his own prison under the same aim, so hold 60 Prisenors or something like that, and the target is to be faster then the other
-you bild against and ship prisoners between your prisons
-you add one, that plays the court and sends the prisoners to the prisons of your mates(i think is to high thinked)
Dichotomy
level1
level1

Postby Dichotomy » Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:19 am

Jackdapantyrip wrote:Because if it isn't I'm not going to play it..

I can barely play the demo it's incredibly boring.. just an opinion..

/sigh

If you find the base game boring how on earth will multiplayer make it better ? You will just be bored with friends. Why would you even ask about multiplayer for a game you find boring ??? Move on and play 1 of the 100000 other games out there.

As for my opinion.

I truly hope it NEVER gets multiplayer, as I whole heartedly agree with some of the other posters that pointed out that once multiplayer gets its claws into a single player game, the end result is almost always the watering down of the single player experience. At the very least it takes resources away from the SP game.

Every game should not have to have MULTIPLAYER, nor should every game be forced to have SINGLEPLAYER. It should be what works for the game (and sometimes this is both).
VoiD88
level5
level5

Postby VoiD88 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:49 am

Dichotomy wrote:

/sigh

If you find the base game boring how on earth will multiplayer make it better ? You will just be bored with friends. Why would you even ask about multiplayer for a game you find boring ???

In his defense, have a look at when this topic was created. Back then, Most of the features we now enjoy in PA were not even thought of, so it got somewhat boring indeed after some time xD

Otherwise, I agree. Not all games are supposed to have Multiplayer and I can enjoy PA as it is (and probably even more as it will be in the release version) without Multiplayer.
paktsardines
level5
level5

Postby paktsardines » Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:12 pm

I think a good multiplayer mode would be if one player was able to hold down an 'interfere' button, move their mouse and interfere with the mouse movements of the other player.

/deadpan
Mr_Happy
level0

Postby Mr_Happy » Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:37 pm

Have any of you seen the new Ps4 commercial. Games are about playing together. People made games, so they could spend time together. I know about 5+ people that will buy the game, but only if they would be able to play and be with freinds. I believe Multiplayer would increase the life of the game. Its kindof like minecraft. Single player is great, until you get endgame. You dont want to have to do it again, but your willing to, if you have freinds to talk with and game with.
And Have you heard of TS, or Skype. Plenty of free services to communicate.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:02 am

Mr_Happy wrote:Have any of you seen the new Ps4 commercial. Games are about playing together. People made games, so they could spend time together. I know about 5+ people that will buy the game, but only if they would be able to play and be with freinds. I believe Multiplayer would increase the life of the game. Its kindof like minecraft. Single player is great, until you get endgame. You dont want to have to do it again, but your willing to, if you have freinds to talk with and game with.
And Have you heard of TS, or Skype. Plenty of free services to communicate.

Not all games are about playing together. Not all games have gameplay elements that make sense in a multiplayer context. Not all games need multiplayer.

xander
Dylan1544
level0

Postby Dylan1544 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:32 pm

xander wrote:

/sigh

Have you played any other single player tycoon-style games? SimCity? Theme Hospital? &c.? Did you enjoy those games? If not, then Prison Architect is probably not for you. As to multiplayer, (1) I don't see how it would work and (2) how does that address the boredom that you feel regarding the alpha version that exists now?

xander

Simcity is multiplayer.
reeceaclarke
level1
level1

Postby reeceaclarke » Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:58 pm

xander wrote:

/sigh

Have you played any other single player tycoon-style games? SimCity? Theme Hospital? &c.? Did you enjoy those games? If not, then Prison Architect is probably not for you. As to multiplayer, (1) I don't see how it would work and (2) how does that address the boredom that you feel regarding the alpha version that exists now?

xander

Theme hospital did in fact have multiplayer were players bought out the land of the hospital sections next to each other and tried to treat the most patients in there hospital with the one with the most money winning so maybe that idea could be moved onto who could have the most income over a set amount of time which each player having a set block of land to work with.

Return to “General”